Raven Or Spider?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Abulafia

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm thinking about starting either the Spider or the Raven with my next mech. I understand that the RVN-3L is the best mech in the game,* but which chassis do you folks think is more fun? That is, which chassis do you think offers more entertaining gameplay, more diverse or interesting, or is just more fun in some other way? I'm especially interested in whether the jump jets on the Spider are worth the inferior hardpoint variety.

* We've all heard that, right? So we can ignore that here.

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

5D is more entertaining, interesting, challenging and overall fun. Jumpjets actually work, you can tag from the CT and have still 2 very agile arm mounted energy slots left.

I run this on my Spider http://mwomercs.com/...6-sdr-5d-peter/

Might want to wait until tomorrow and give the trial spider a ride after the patch. If you fall in love with the JJs go for the 5D. Keep in mind that the 5D is better in every way, cant remember whichone they add as a trial (5V or 5K), K is useless without machine gun buffs but has great jumping capabilities, V has only CT hardpoints and 2 JJs less than the D. The D is way better than both even without ECM.

3L is better.

Edited by Budor, 22 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#3 Grissnap

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

I bought the 5D, it is entertaining, but I won't be bothering with trying to Elite it or anything.

If you do go for the Spider, be aware that it has a very high frustration factor if the enemy has any Raven 3Ls or Commando 2Ds. If they can SSRM you your weak armor can only take a few hits before you die.

I do like sniping with this though, and it is definitely the most unique experience in the game at the moment.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...40e4f6cfb7fe0a8

#4 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

well, i was in a raven in this game.

Posted Image

I think cropduster was in a spider.

#5 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Raven-3L's are more potent, more durable, and damned fast machines. They're better in every way that matters.

#6 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I suppose it depends on what you call fun.

If you think it is fun to fly around (w/ jump jets) tagging and spotting stuff while doing very little damage then go with a spider.

But the 3L is the best mech right now. To give you an example:

I was running a 3L with a buddy. Our entire team was dead except us and the other team had 6 people left. We killed all 6 including 2 atlas. There is no other mech we could have been running that things would have turned out that way.

#7 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

There's nothing a spider can do at the moment that a Jenner cannot do better. ECM is rather worthless without streaks. Get the Raven 3L, activate Godmode.

#8 Pvl

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I bought the 5v and satisfied but with the armour, it will not last lond

#9 Ellenai

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

RAVENLAGSHIELDBADHITBOX , thats the true name of the mech ...

Edited by Ellenai, 23 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#10 LadyBrecky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 22 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

well, i was in a raven in this game.

Posted Image

I think cropduster was in a spider.

Yeah using a mech with messed up hitboxes and terrible netcode makes doing good pretty easy huh?

#11 DaidojiJishin

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 3 posts
  • Locationgeorgia, usa

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

spiders are worthless, because they are an actual light mech. They can scout, and harass, and die. No firepower, no staying power. If you want to enjoy yourself buy ravens...

#12 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostapostateCourier, on 23 January 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

Raven-3L's are more potent, more durable, and damned fast machines. They're better in every way that matters.

That statement usually denotes a bad light mech player. Let me correct this.

Raven's are better if you want heavier armament, are not scouting, flanking or capping. They are better at fightining and doing damage.

Spiders are better at scouting, flanking, capping, and ambushing. They are because of the jump jets.

Jump jets allow you to make sharp 90 or 180 degree turns near instantly while maining speed/momentum. They also allow you to fly over area's and both scout and cap quicker/better. they are also the most misunderstood equipment in the game (you can't turn your back and fly away, you'll get shot.

Ravens are more for people who wan't to run around at the end of a match saying they rock, or guys who want an overpowered mech. Spiders are for guy's who actually want to play a real light mech.

and no, running into another light mech is not scouting. BTW is you get a light mech, learn how to full stop. Doing that behind an atlas in a man fight will either core him or take his dps out of the main battle (this is how you win matches) with 3 med lasers it's usually 4-5 shots to the back center torso.

#13 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostLadyBrecky, on 23 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Yeah using a mech with messed up hitboxes and terrible netcode makes doing good pretty easy huh?

do you prefer this one in an atlas?

Posted Image

#14 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 23 January 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

do you prefer this one in an atlas?

Me prefer this one in an Atlas:
6 vs 8 *Two trial mechs on my side.*
(or 4 vs 8, if you don't consider those doing less than 100 damage in Assaults as teammates)

Also tell the Magician me say rawr.
Posted Image

Edited by MagicHamsta, 23 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#15 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostShade4x, on 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

That statement usually denotes a bad light mech player. Let me correct this.

Raven's are better if you want heavier armament, are not scouting, flanking or capping. They are better at fightining and doing damage.

Spiders are better at scouting, flanking, capping, and ambushing. They are because of the jump jets.

Jump jets allow you to make sharp 90 or 180 degree turns near instantly while maining speed/momentum. They also allow you to fly over area's and both scout and cap quicker/better. they are also the most misunderstood equipment in the game (you can't turn your back and fly away, you'll get shot.

Ravens are more for people who wan't to run around at the end of a match saying they rock, or guys who want an overpowered mech. Spiders are for guy's who actually want to play a real light mech.

and no, running into another light mech is not scouting. BTW is you get a light mech, learn how to full stop. Doing that behind an atlas in a man fight will either core him or take his dps out of the main battle (this is how you win matches) with 3 med lasers it's usually 4-5 shots to the back center torso.

None of these things matter if you don't have the firepower to make these maneuvers worthwhile. Flanking? Those 2/3 medium lasers sure are scary! Capping? You still have to survive the light 'mech coming back to stop you. Odds are, it's going to be a Raven-3L and you are going to get wrecked. Ambushes? Again, without the alpha to back it up your ambush doesn't mean much.

Yes, Spiders are good scouts- but they don't have the staying power to survive what comes afterward for fairly long. You still need to win the battle, after all, and taking a Spider means you have one less 'mech with meaningful staying power and firepower.

Please drop the True Scotsman fallacy. Ravens have always been phenomenal light 'mechs. They scout just fine at 139 km/h, they have enough armor to take a couple hits, enough firepower to be dangerous, and ECM on a good (read: Has utility outside of ECM and looking at things) chassis. If you need to scout, scout, then harrass their stragglers from behind. The Spider can do that, but not as well. If you need to cap, cap, and have enough firepower and armor to last until backup arrives. The only way the Spider is surviving the inevitable engagement is to run away. As for flanking, again- with the 3L you have plenty of speed to be in and out, enough Alpha to do some serious damage between disappearing acts, and enough armor to take the stray shot or two. With the Spider, you can do the same thing, just with less damage and if you get winged it could ruin you.

Ravens are objectively better. Mobility only goes so far.

#16 BreadBrix

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I run 5D with ERPPC. It has enough firepower to get a kill or two per match. It can even bring down heavies/assaults. Not quickly, but a few well placed shots to the rear armor usually do the trick. Jump jets are awesome for dodging bullets, traversing terrain, chasing down targets and getting out of harm's way. Hell, I can even brawl some lights with moderate success.

What I have not been able to do so far with 5D is to hit a raven. Shooting point blank at a stationary raven still does not register a hit. Raven is a decent mech on its own but non-existant hitboxes is what makes it so damn good, not additional firepower or ability to fit streaks. JJ and high mobility would allow spider to compete with raven if it could actually hit that thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users