Purchasing Hunchback And Need Advice.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Blackhandsaint

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hello, all, I'm relatively new to the MWO open beta-I played the closed beta a fair amount, but have only played a couple of games since it went open. I was wondering-are medium/small lasers still the best brawler weapons around? I looked at the weapons stats, and that certainly seems to be the case (especially with the addition of double heatsinks), but I've always been a huge fan of the AC 20. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a choice-I was thinking of either purchasing the HBK-4P (8 med. lasers), the HBK-4H (modified with an AC 20 and medium/small lasers), or one of the SRM variants (in case SRMs happen to be the best for brawling). Advice would be much appreciated!

#2 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

The best one of hunchbacks is 4SP,because it has 2 energy slot in each arm and has no hunch like other ones,which increases its survivability.It is available as trial now,so feel free to check it on your own.

4H is also good option,but to be able to equip biggest weapons you'll have to put pretty small engine,so this mech requires some ingame experience to counter its slow pace.

You won't put 8 medium lasers in 4P if you wish to have some reasonable heat output,7 is a maximum.But this variant is also good,just don't buy it if you can't afford double heat sinks upgrade immediately.Don't buy endo steel structure for it either.

4J is a mix of 4SP and 4P,you can put 6 medium lasers and 2 SSRM2,but'll have a huge,easy to hit hunch and your heat will be rather high.So it may not be a good mech for a rookie who can't do heat management well.

Edited by MasterBLB, 23 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Spectre999

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

There's lots of hbk guides around here. Search and profit.

Long story short, get the 4SP first (you'll love the hardpoint layout, guaranteed), then get 4H (unless you really, really must have dat AC), save the 4P for last (although 4J is not bad either, I see it as a middle ground between 4SP and 4P). 4G is pretty much pointless (you don't have the tonnage to utilize the ballistic slots)

I admit, I am biased, I love 4SP and would gladly have its children, but the 2x missile slot plus 4x arm laser slots are the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to brawling, and you can even attempt LRM boating on it. Nice flexibility.

EDITH: Oi, I saw this thread first!

Edited by Spectre999, 23 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#4 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

4SP probably most effective, least frustrating. I find the AC20 very good, if you can keep it from being destroyed, which is a big if lately. I had been having fun with it, but I did a test yesterday, and 9 out of ten games I lost the AC. Its so bad, I went back and just rebuilt my 3MG/3MPLAS build. Essentially its a laser build, with some MG's. It gets the same kills a match and a bit better damage suprisingly.

Dont underestimate Pulse lasers. I find them more effective brawling lasers than standard, if you can find the weight to spare.

#5 Drogum Nethar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Definitely the 4SP first, then 4H and 4P - then grind your way through getting the XP to work on getting elite status in the pilot lab. Once you get the speed tweak you will find these all with a 240 or large engine can reach mid 80's low 90's kph. At those speeds the survivability goes way up and it becomes fun doing the chamda dance like a samurai thru groups of enemies. I disagree with the no Endo Steel. Get it and DBL HS and then you can pack 5 ML and 2 SRM4 on a 4SP. I got 9ML on my 4P ;) They do run hot but dumping 6 ML into the face or an Atlas can really make them mad :)

#6 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...unchback-guide/

You're welcome.

#7 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostDrogum Nethar, on 23 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Definitely the 4SP first, then 4H and 4P

This!

I started buying them the opposite (love 4P and 4H, 4SP is just a really good and obvious consequence ;))

Edited by John MatriX82, 23 January 2013 - 04:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users