How To Be A Valuable Teammate In Mwo. Please Read.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I just felt the need to post a few helpful tips. I'm sure the majority of the culprits aren't the type to check the forum, but I'm posting it anyways.
  • Do NOT fire off your weapons at the start of the match. Wait until the team spreads a bit then check your radar and if no one is near then fire into the ground immediately in front of you.
  • Do NOT shoot through your teammates in an effort to get the killing blow on a crippled enemy.
  • Do NOT walk in front of your teammates that are firing their weapons, Always take the extra second to walk behind your teammates line of fire.
  • In a situation where multiple teammates are firing on an enemy do NOT try to give the enemy a big hug in your effort to alpha their face. You are blocking your teammates line of fire, causing them to either waste time or shoot you. That one kill could cost you the match with the friendly fire you take and the extra time to kill your target while your teammates are likely being fired upon.
  • Do NOT chase the lone light.damaged mech while the rest of your team is engaged in a brawl with the rest of their team. Half of your team running after a crippled light mech will get the other half of your team killed as they are outnumbered 7-4 on the front lines.
  • Do NOT crowd up behind your teammates in a narrow area and attack in a lineup using your teammates as a meatshield. This will result in your team getting focus fired and dropped 1 by 1 while you are unable to bring the bulk of your firepower to bear. Spread out and allow your teammates room/time to form up.
  • Do NOT body block your teammates that are trying to backpedal or otherwise escape fire.
  • Be aware of your teammates movement. Some styles involve your teammates circling the enemy mech and firing as they go. Time your attacks to have a small gap as your teammate passes your line of fire and continues circling the target
  • If you have multiple teammates attacking a single target remember this one golden rule. The mech being targeted by the enemy always has the right of way. Your teammate is taking the brunt of the attack for you, give them consideration in firing lane, and maneuvering room.
  • If you are being targeted by multiple mechs seek out teammates and call for help, use as much cover as possible, and lead the multiple mechs away from the fight if you cannot rejoin your team. If you are tying up 2+ enemies with your 1 mech then your team has an advantage.
  • If you are a fast mech and the base is under attack in assault then head to your base and buy some time while asking for backup while you are enroute.
  • Do NOT run off on your own and die. Accidents happen while scouting, but don't get caught by groups of enemies for no good reason.
  • DO stay with your team for mutual support and play WITH them while utilizing the advice above.
These are just some simple tips to keep in mind to be the best teammate you can be. There are many other more advanced tactics, but let's at least get the basics down.

TLDR: Don't be a greedy killstealing *redacted* and use some freaking situational awareness for knowing where yourteammates are and respecting their situation while working together in a way that promotes winning.

You really will get more kills and better stats when you work as a team rather than trying to be the hero and finish off the wounded mech or facehug the target your team is focusing down. Plus you will have a lot more fun playing when you work with your team rather than for yourself.

Any additional advice is welcome.

EDIT: Additional points,
  • Gemini Bull had a great point I never touched on. When you die be a team player and relay the last things you saw before you died (enemy position, composition, etc.) and offer any helpful advice to those teammates that may be missing vital information you can relay through spectator mode.
  • Lupin adds that communication throughout the match is essential either via voice chat or text. Simple information such as 4 enemies F4 or they're charging tunnel, or watch CTF in E5 has lotsa LRMs. Information like this can take 5-10 seconds to relay, but may change the outcome of the battle or the match.

Edited by Grimlox, 24 January 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#2 TseTse

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUSA USA USA!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Good post

#3 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

#4 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Solis: LOL well played sir.

#5 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nice post!
I can't type worth the crap and wanted to say all of this for so long.
Now we need an auto bump program so this doesn't get buried.
BETTER YET, "STICKIE PLEASE"

And I compliment you on your character of a well worded constructive post. Good form ol chap!

#6 Gemini Bull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 203 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

dont forget to tell your team where the mech(s) that killed you were last. i do it all the time since i scout and guard the cave areas on the maps mostly. after you die, instead of dc-ing, help your team by calling out where another team mate needs help. so many of my matches turned in our favor when someone, me mostly, does that. be a ghost commander. it helps when we know whats going on.

#7 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Good collection of basic tatical rules to keep in mind.should be stickied for posterity i think.
You'd think this stuff would be common sense,but obviously it's not.my favorite is the team mate that face hugs the enemy mech while half your team is trying to finish it off.I often find myself resisting the urge to keep my finger on the trigger in that situation.

Edited by Alexandrix, 23 January 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#8 Major Scumbag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Very good post. Plus I would say know your role.. If you are a med mech then you should be supporting the assualt class and heavies. When I am TS. I tell the assualt i am behind you and when he starts taking hits I inform him what side I am peeling off. Like Engaging target alpha off your left flank. If you are a light or med with main group. Your role should be to engage the inc lights attacking the assualt. Again very nice post ;)

#9 Magitek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Got to say that I thought this post was another one of 'those' post. However, it's a great read, aside from the end. Good post and good points.

#10 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the comments.

@Gemini, I added your point about being a team player after death. Nice addition.

@Major Scumbag: Excellent point about knowing your role but rather than adding it in here I think it probably deserves a whole post of it's own as it borders on advanced tactics. I can't think of a succint enough way to relay all that is needed in here.

I think after enough additional points and feedback are offered I will post it in the guides section and remove that end part that I assume Magitek was referring to.

#11 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Used your post in the suggestion forum. http://mwomercs.com/...loading-screen/

#12 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostChavette, on 23 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Used your post in the suggestion forum. http://mwomercs.com/...loading-screen/

Good one.

#13 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I would add "communication" to this, typed or voice.
e.g.
"Scouting Tunnel"
"Returning to base to stop CAP"
"Bloody hell 4 lights"

#14 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostGrimlox, on 23 January 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

• Do NOT fire off your weapons at the start of the match. Wait until the team spreads a bit then check your radar and if no one is near then fire into the ground immediately in front of you.
  • Do NOT shoot through your teammates in an effort to get the killing blow on a crippled enemy.
  • Do NOT walk in front of your teammates that are firing their weapons, Always take the extra second to walk behind your teammates line of fire.
  • In a situation where multiple teammates are firing on an enemy do NOT try to give the enemy a big hug in your effort to alpha their face. You are blocking your teammates line of fire, causing them to either waste time or shoot you. That one kill could cost you the match with the friendly fire you take and the extra time to kill your target while your teammates are likely being fired upon.
  • Do NOT chase the lone light.damaged mech while the rest of your team is engaged in a brawl with the rest of their team. Half of your team running after a crippled light mech will get the other half of your team killed as they are outnumbered 7-4 on the front lines.
  • Do NOT crowd up behind your teammates in a narrow area and attack in a lineup using your teammates as a meatshield. This will result in your team getting focus fired and dropped 1 by 1 while you are unable to bring the bulk of your firepower to bear. Spread out and allow your teammates room/time to form up.
  • Do NOT body block your teammates that are trying to backpedal or otherwise escape fire.
  • Be aware of your teammates movement. Some styles involve your teammates circling the enemy mech and firing as they go. Time your attacks to have a small gap as your teammate passes your line of fire and continues circling the target
  • If you have multiple teammates attacking a single target remember this one golden rule. The mech being targeted by the enemy always has the right of way. Your teammate is taking the brunt of the attack for you, give them consideration in firing lane, and maneuvering room.
  • If you are being targeted by multiple mechs seek out teammates and call for help, use as much cover as possible, and lead the multiple mechs away from the fight if you cannot rejoin your team. If you are tying up 2+ enemies with your 1 mech then your team has an advantage.
  • If you are a fast mech and the base is under attack in assault then head to your base and buy some time while asking for backup while you are enroute.
  • Do NOT run off on your own and die. Accidents happen while scouting, but don't get caught by groups of enemies for no good reason.
  • DO stay with your team for mutual support and play WITH them while utilizing the advice above.

Have Betty read this list at the start of EVERY match .. then "reactors online" ...

#15 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

New players will learn through experience. Give it time and help noobs when u can.

#16 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostLupin, on 24 January 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

I would add "communication" to this, typed or voice.
e.g.
"Scouting Tunnel"
"Returning to base to stop CAP"
"Bloody hell 4 lights"

I will add to list. Thanks.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users