Drg-1C Build. Poke Holes, Please.

30 replies to this topic

#1 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Feel free to poke holes and offer reccomendations to my build, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Regardless, I've gone through a lot of similar (and more long or short polarized) builds, and this one is the one I am most comfortable with. I can usually expect to get over 400 and more towards 600 with it in a solid match, and it is reliably potent at short or long range, though the sweetspot is somewhat close.

Swiss Army Dragon: DRG-1C

FP: 39
HE: DHS 1.36 (14 sinks)
Armor: STD 352
Standard Structure.
XL280 (75.6kmh)

AC10 RA 3tons ammo in legs
1LL LA
2ML LT
1SRM4 CT 1ton ammo in legs

All armor is maxed, save head (10) and legs (35). Neither seem to have survival problems, or cause ammo loss.

#2 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'd say it's pretty solid in firepower, but.....it's very slow for a Dragon. I never go below 80 in my Dragons and I prefer 95.

#3 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Good build, IMO, but I'd definitely suggest going for Endosteel and giving yourself a few more tons towards a bigger engine. Speed is life for Dragons. Dragons also have a lot of spare space inside and don't usually mount enough energy weapons to need much in the way of HS so endo isn't going to run you out of free slots.

I've actually settled on the classic Gauss, 4ML, SRM6 build for both the 1C and Flame. Can't remember the engine, but it goes 95 kmh with speed tweak. The Flame has the advantage that all the lasers are arm-mounted which is good for chasing light mechs and the Gauss is high up in the shoulder which is good for sniping.

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Little slower than many Dragons I see out there, particularly with the mid to close range emphasis. If you can fit and/or afford endosteel I would highly recommend putting the weight savings into a more powerful engine and maxing out your head armor. With only 10 points on the head a twin gauss or an AC/20 from above will end your match real quick. It does not sound like an issue, but I see many CT shots hit the head as the target runs down a hill when ballistics are involved.

#5 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e4fcd9be4433e37

this is what i came up with

#6 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well your first problem is it's a dragon...

#7 SkyCake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

XL is probably ok on this chassis... but if ur gonna XL, go fast!.. to me that is the power of the dragon that other mechs in this class dont have, speed... the chassis also has a large torso making it easy to hit... a slow speed exacerbates the situation.... so go fast

#8 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I think you're better off trading firepower for speed. Then use a LBX to take advantage of the increased speed, since you can get into close quarters more easily.

#9 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Run up fast behind unsuspecting target!

Fire!

Run away!

#10 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

This topic was moved to the "Battlemechs" sub forum, where it is more appropriate.

#11 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

XL280 (75.6kmh)

My Awesome goes 85kph, and I get absolutely giddy every time I spot a slow Dragon like this. Personally, I'd swap the LL for another ML, and dump the rest into the engine. Speed is your friend in a Dragon - especially when most of your weapons are set up for close range striking.

Edited by Homeless Bill, 24 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#12 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Solid all around build. My only recommendations (if you like the way it plays currently) are:

Upgrade your structure to EndoSteel (ES).
This allows you to upgrade your engine to an XL300 and max your armor (well 400/402).
Otherwise, you can maintain your current weapon load-out exactly as you have it.

#13 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

u would say use lbx is one ton less and brutal at werry close range :P if u run fast u cant aim to good either but lbx can hit in a wide range from longe distance its like srm but less spread. endo steel is a must fero fibre if u can fit it in try it befor u buy a new engine so u can buy a better engine max the head and put more armor on legs.
i have a similar N1 build xl 335 with max armor speed tweek its flying like a slow light with a 100 destroying an atlas with 4 alpha strike

#14 Kargarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I run similar. And I really like it! But like others have said drop the LL in favor of 2 MLs and put an XL 300 in there. Speed is Life!

#15 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I tried endosteel before, but I got a conflict with slots, and had to remove it to even fit just the xl engine. Maybe it was a bug, but it still wont let me apply it. It tells me that only cbills are the issue, but when I try to load it, it also tells me I dont have the slots.

As for ultras, I have had only dramatically negative experiences with them. I wouldnt strap one to my arm for anything, at this point.

I'll look into adjusting the armaments with MPLs or just going back to 4ml, and see what sort of speed change I can manage.

Thanks for the tips.

#16 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

i hope its works:)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c6211c31]DRG-1C[/url]

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=11&l=1c4419bc5fa5e9056087dba18111d6f2c6211c31">DRG-1C</a>

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa5e9056087dba1

#17 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Smurfys mechlab tool is a much better way to go about this. Watch:

Here is your loadout...

Solid build, but low on armor. Buy that endo and put the 3t to use...

New and improved!

Disclosure: I'm not a Dragon driver, but build theory is the same for most mechs...

#18 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

take of anything from ur mech then buy endo steel and put them back in place latter

#19 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm not sure why, but try as I might, I cannot fit both an xl engine and endo at the same time. I know this isn't right, but nothing I do to try resetting it will work.

Including full strip and save resets.

/halp

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 24 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#20 DESTcmndr

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 23 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Feel free to poke holes and offer reccomendations to my build, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Regardless, I've gone through a lot of similar (and more long or short polarized) builds, and this one is the one I am most comfortable with. I can usually expect to get over 400 and more towards 600 with it in a solid match, and it is reliably potent at short or long range, though the sweetspot is somewhat close.

Swiss Army Dragon: DRG-1C

FP: 39
HE: DHS 1.36 (14 sinks)
Armor: STD 352
Standard Structure.
XL280 (75.6kmh)

AC10 RA 3tons ammo in legs
1LL LA
2ML LT
1SRM4 CT 1ton ammo in legs

All armor is maxed, save head (10) and legs (35). Neither seem to have survival problems, or cause ammo loss.

I figured I'd add my $.02 too
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ea6e4d53db9f15

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users