First Heavy Mech

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll! What should be my first Heavy Mech (190 member(s) have cast votes)

I've decided to have one of every class of mech. I have my light and medum a Spider and a Centurion what should my Heavy be?

1. Cataphract (96 votes [46.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.60%

2. Dragon (27 votes [13.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

3. Catapult (83 votes [40.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kadassa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Now I've got about half the Cbills saved up for my first heavy Still rounding out my Spidey so I got a bit before I get the cash up but What should I buy? So far I'm good with Medium to short range combat. Standard ml spider and a ml and Srm Cent are in my bay right now...love my Cent to peices! So which would best fit my style?

Edited by Kadassa, 24 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#2 athlonduke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 159 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I opt for the phract. catapault you have two builds...(s)srm boat or dual guass. I've never seen another variant that did halfway decent. the cataphract you can vary it up a little. 1x can go a nice ballistic (I like AC20 + 5ML), or drop the ballistic and go heavy laser boating. 4x is just fun with quad ac2, ac5, dual ac2/5 or dual guass. the gauss you can atleast aim better because of the arm actuators. I went ilya for my 3rd, I like the triple uac5 ^_^ the 2x's missile slots can make for a nice brawler with srm6's. just avoid XL's...they seem to pop easy

#3 Tex1013

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm by far not the best person to advise you in this question, but here's what I know

Virtually every mech has advantages and uses - from various people I've talked to, the dragon is going to be faster overall, the Catapult a very versatile mech with lots of popular loadouts, and the Cataphract being, well, not everyone's favorite.

Nevertheless, I voted Cataphract, and here's why. The dragon players seem few and far between, and seem to have spent a ton of money developing a very specific loadout that works for them. Meaning the time you spend with your slowly upgrading stock version may prove to be a liability - no guarantee on that though

The Catapult is an extremely popular mech, and might make your best bet as far as future-proofing, but the really popular loadouts are again fairly expensive, and the catapult is a VERY distinctive mech on the field, which means it often gets singled out for focus fire - people who've been annihilated by cats in the past seem to remember them very clearly, and make it a point to make sure the cats go down fast.

The Cataphract I picked with my hard earned money (the 1-x specifically) because it offered a decent and wide range of different weaponry for me to experiment with. The stock version is slow, and not as well armored as I'd like, but the ppc, ac10 and 4 med lasers were a perfect mix of weaponry for me to begin experimenting with ballistics, long range energy and short range energy (I don't like missiles much, so missing missile hardpoints didn't bother me at the time)

Honestly, I think with your hard earned money, you should go one of two ways - either buy the cat for future proofing (assuming future nerfs don't nerf the poor thing into the ground), in which case make sure you get one of the "more-than-just-missile-hardpoints" versions, although I'm sure there'll be some folks espousing the value of the srmcats and streakcats, or buy the mech with the widest array of weapon loadouts (1 or 2 ballistics, 1or 2 missile, and I'd recommend 3 or 4 energy) so that as weapons get "balanced" and added, you have a platform on which you can experiment with all manner of different weapon combinations while you wait for the game to go gold

just my ideas - good luck!

#4 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

If you really like the cent, especially the 3 weapon systems, I recommend the Cataphrach 2X sincei t has a good layout for lasers, ballistic, and missiles. If you like the SRMS I recommend the Catapult C1 or C4. the C1 has more lasers, and the C4 has more missiles but they have some backup lasers which is what i like.

#5 ParasiteX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I say dragon. Yeah it doesn't pack the same firepower as both the Cats.. But in the right hands, it's quite deadly.
And one of few mechs, where a XL engine works out great. As your arms and center torso will get blown up, long before the side torsos.

You'll need to use terrain, cover and speed to your advantage, to get the most out of the Dragon.

In a way, its much like a Centurion. But with more armor.

I like packing a Ultra AC5 or LB 10-X, in the ballistic slot. And SRMs in it's missile slot. Almost always top out damage and kills with it. Also great for quickly maneuvering around the enemy, to surprise flank them in the rear. Be sure to fit a 350 XL engine in it. Yes it can take a 360.. but i find its a waste of 1.5T, that's better spent on other stuff. With a 350XL, you'll be able to fit, up to 4 heatsinks in it. Saving up allot of crit slots.

#6 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Not a dragon.

You can make some fun Phract brawler builds that are pretty quick. I have brawly Phracts and Cats and I enjoy them both, not to mention I have been quite effective in them with speedy builds.

#7 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Moved this topic to the Battlemechs sub forum, where it is more appropriate.

#8 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Only you can decide really. Go Catapult if you feel like a low risk mech. Go Dragon if you want to run fast like a freak. Go Cataphract if you want a mini-assault mech.

Alternatively, save your money, wait a bit, and be one of the first people to buy a Jagermech.

#9 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Cataphract, most definitely. The number of options allotted to you in terms of role and firepower are simply unequaled and, if you're a fan of the Cent (CN9-A FTW!), then you'll love the CTF-2X. The CTF-2X isn't the only option allotted, though. If you want something a little more of a sniper, then the 4X 2 gauss build works really well. Brawling, nothing goes better than a 4x (3 mlas, 2 SRM6, 1 AC20? Yes please!) in my not so humble opinion. Suppression fire, the Ilya works well with 3 UAC5. Never use an XL engine with a Phract, as we tend to get shot at a lot. Get used to being a mini-Atlas of sorts, the big target for everyone even if you are a bit more squishy. You have all of the hardpoints to play with and more speed than your average Atlas.

#10 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostTex1013, on 24 January 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm by far not the best person to advise you in this question, but here's what I know

Virtually every mech has advantages and uses - from various people I've talked to, the dragon is going to be faster overall, the Catapult a very versatile mech with lots of popular loadouts, and the Cataphract being, well, not everyone's favorite.

Nevertheless, I voted Cataphract, and here's why. The dragon players seem few and far between, and seem to have spent a ton of money developing a very specific loadout that works for them. Meaning the time you spend with your slowly upgrading stock version may prove to be a liability - no guarantee on that though

The Catapult is an extremely popular mech, and might make your best bet as far as future-proofing, but the really popular loadouts are again fairly expensive, and the catapult is a VERY distinctive mech on the field, which means it often gets singled out for focus fire - people who've been annihilated by cats in the past seem to remember them very clearly, and make it a point to make sure the cats go down fast.

The Cataphract I picked with my hard earned money (the 1-x specifically) because it offered a decent and wide range of different weaponry for me to experiment with. The stock version is slow, and not as well armored as I'd like, but the ppc, ac10 and 4 med lasers were a perfect mix of weaponry for me to begin experimenting with ballistics, long range energy and short range energy (I don't like missiles much, so missing missile hardpoints didn't bother me at the time)

Honestly, I think with your hard earned money, you should go one of two ways - either buy the cat for future proofing (assuming future nerfs don't nerf the poor thing into the ground), in which case make sure you get one of the "more-than-just-missile-hardpoints" versions, although I'm sure there'll be some folks espousing the value of the srmcats and streakcats, or buy the mech with the widest array of weapon loadouts (1 or 2 ballistics, 1or 2 missile, and I'd recommend 3 or 4 energy) so that as weapons get "balanced" and added, you have a platform on which you can experiment with all manner of different weapon combinations while you wait for the game to go gold

just my ideas - good luck!

Prety much what he said.
Dragon is not bad, but it's difficult and definately needs XL engine to work well.
Catapult is great mech, awesome torso twist and few killer loadouts (srmcat, gaussapult) but perhaps not so versatile and again needs the XL for the better loadouts.
Catapract is good all around, 2X is mini atlas with it's different hardpoints, 1X and 3D are just great overall and Ilya is very good hero mech if you want to invest in to one.

#11 Kyryos

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Voted Dragon cause I like it, but honestly the Cataphract is probably a better bet.

#12 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

If you like Cents, then you may consider a Dragon.. it's like running a big, tougher and XL-able Centurion.

Otherwise a nice brawler is the Phract.

#13 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

Cataphract has some intersting variants and can serve both as ballisitc as as energy platform, and has some limited missile capability. Of course, you have to decide for a specifc variant at first.
I think my first Cataphract was the 4X - 4 AC/5, 2 Gauss Rilfes, 2 AC/5, 2 UAC/5, there are many interesting ballistic weapon combinations. Its weakness is that it doesn't have much energy weapon slots, so your "side weaponry" will be weak.
The 2X allowed me to build some interesting brawler builds, using AC/20, SRMs and Lasers.
The 3L may be a good starting point because you have options to build it more for energy weapons or ballistic weapons, or a mix.
The 1X I have no experience with yet.

The Catapult is also well-liked. It has fantastic torso twist capabilities, which benefits it also in close range, even though it's traditonally a long range/direct fire support mech. The K2 serves best as a ballistic platform, not the energy platform it's intended to be. The A1 is also popular, its only weakness is the lack of energy weapon slots for ammo-less self-defense. But it can "boat" missiles of any kind and deliver devestating damage.

The Dragon is not a mech I could make work for myself, unfortunately.

#14 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 25 January 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

The 3L may be a good starting point because you have options to build it more for energy weapons or ballistic weapons, or a mix.

3D

#15 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I love my Dragons, but they do require a certain mind-set. More of a bulky medium than a ROFLstomping heavy.

The Phract-3D is a great choice. A good mix of ballistic and energy mounts and the ability to take jump-jets. Don't rule them out, you can get a lot of extra mobility out of those guys if you use em right.

#16 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I would suggest you choose either a Catapult or Cataphract before a Dragon.

Personally I like the 'phracts better than the Catapult. The 1X is fun, as is the 2X and I love my Ilya.

#17 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Cataphract or Catapult.Dragons generally suck,except Flame.
But which one of them....
Advantages of Cataphract
- 70 tons,5 tons more than Catapult.This really makes the difference
- has real arms
- quite many and well placed hardpoints
- all variants have at least one ballistic slot

Disadvantages:
- quite big side torsoes,so usage of an XL engine is risky,especially on 4X
- only 90o torso twist
- long arms,so your weapons mounted here will be not so high above ground.This forces you to expose yourself if you fight on a hillside

Advantages if Catapult:
- small side torsoes,so you don't have to fear to use XL engines
- outstanding torso twist,almost 180o
- very different each other variants
- K2 can equip two AC20 as the only mech in game currently
- high arm position

Disadvantages:
- big "ears" (arms in fact) easy to shoot off from even longer distances
- no left/right arm acutator,you can move them only up/down
- very weak move up torso twist angle

I have 4 Cats and 3 Phracts,and I'm pleased of all.

#18 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I would choose either the Catapult or Cataphract first. I think the Dragon seems to be a hit or miss mech for alot of ppl, you either love it or hate.

#19 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

The Dragon has a hardpoint layout that limits it's firepower, feels more like a Medium mech than a Heavy. (Can copy Dragon builds with a CN9-D)

Cataphract is a solid mech, though don't start with the -4X. 48 k/ph and twin ballistic arms isn't a good first impression. (Sold the same day I bought it.)

Catapult, good for when you want to dominate the battlefield. No matter what build you have on the -A1, the opponent will hate you for it.

Edited by Stingz, 26 January 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#20 Xanadar

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

My first mech was the Phract-2x and I still love going back to it. Nice mix of hardpoints allows a good varied build and once you've got it speed tweaked it's not much of a slouch on the battlefield either.

I run mine with an AC20, SRM6+4 and some Medium lasers. Nice big alpha with the option for some pretty good sustained damage if your good at rotating your weapons fire and picking your AC20 shots.

I also enjoyed the 3D even though I dropped the jump jets for some more damage dealing. I did try a few runs with the JJ's in and it was a good laugh but didn't really suit my playstyle.

Stay away from the 4X though unless you like ballistics. Can't remember being more depressed in this game than when I was being outrun by Atlases coz I was so damn slow......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users