188 replies to this topic

#181 Cerebelli

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 244 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Some say he shaves with an Axeman's hatchet, and that HAG 40 rounds are his favorite midnight snack.

All we know is he's called the Garth.

#182 Kingdok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Locationon your six...

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 25 January 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

That doesn't sound very nice.
Stig : pejorative; someone from a poor background, with a poor dress sense

Why don't you just call Garth a hobo next time.

Interesting (to me at least) point of difference in our experience and cultural literacy. I started reading this thread because the name Stig caught my eye. Stig (Bartholomew Stiggins) is my favorite character in the Thursday Next series of comic novels. He's a complete bad-ash and a sweetheart all at once. I was hoping this was some kind of Jasper Fforde reference. Now I have to track down Stig of the Dump and read up on the source material.

Never encountered the use of this name as a pejorative, but I can see it in some contexts.

#183 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostKingdok, on 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Interesting (to me at least) point of difference in our experience and cultural literacy. I started reading this thread because the name Stig caught my eye. Stig (Bartholomew Stiggins) is my favorite character in the Thursday Next series of comic novels. He's a complete bad-ash and a sweetheart all at once. I was hoping this was some kind of Jasper Fforde reference. Now I have to track down Stig of the Dump and read up on the source material.

Never encountered the use of this name as a pejorative, but I can see it in some contexts.

In this context, we are comparing Garth to the elusive Stig of Top Gear fame. Many a rumour is spread of him. Some say Top Gear's Stig is named such because he is actually the "Stig of the Dump" who then built himself a car from the scrap around him. Some also say that this was how the show Scrapheap Challenge came to be. All we know is... you know the rest.

#184 Peg Leg Pete

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 25 January 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

That doesn't sound very nice.
Stig : pejorative; someone from a poor background, with a poor dress sense

Why don't you just call Garth a hobo next time.

he does pilot at cicada....

#185 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

View Postnuked4ever, on 25 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I rarely post on the forums, but after lurking through all the complaints and arguing, I feel like there needs to be some more lighthearted fare. That being said, I'm a big fan of Top Gear, and after having dropped with Garth in his Cicada a couple times, I now designate him the Mechwarrior Stig.

Now let's fill this thread with some love for Garth via "Some say.." Top Gear style quotes about him.

Some say he can mount two AC20's on his shoulders, and that he can throw a projectile faster than a gauss rifle fire one..all we know is, he's Garth. Posted Image

Giant British Top Gear fan here. :)

#186 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

And now we've seen the Stig-mobile...

Have you seen Garth's Cicada?

#187 HammerForge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Some say, he's replaced his internal structure with paper mache to save some weight, and that with just a look he can core an atlas, all we know is, he's called the Garth!

Some say, MASC was created so that mechs could give him a run for his money in a foot race, and that Jarome Blake started ComStar at his behest, all we know is, he's called the Garth!

Edited by HammerForge, 28 February 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#188 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Postburns, on 13 February 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Some say, the painting on it's mech was done by Picasso´s floating head,...

Posted Image

Moerderhoschi and me scared it a little (whilst admiring it's fancy 8billion LargeLaser outfit) but when it decided to re-flock to its herd our team somehow had already managed getting vaporized ... the end came quick and painless.

lol

#189 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wasn't really impressed with him after I saw him in a game. Yes he does know how to play well but I've seen better.

My team did lose.... but only because everyone was more concerned about killing a "named mech star".

I think that is why he does so well.

56 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 56 guests, 0 anonymous users