Change Red Dots To The Greek Letter Each Waypoint Is Named For!

32 replies to this topic

#1 Insane Puppet

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Simple Game UI Change = Easier Noob Adaptation

Currently noobs don't know where waypoints are without pausing game to go to map; this simple change would allow you to call an assist on Epsilon and anyone who looked for the ε would easily find it.

The less I have to look away from the action the better and this change would enable a newbie on a map to still navigate to called out waypoints just by using the compass/nav bar without pausing.

#2 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Problem: most people don't know the Greek alphabet.

They could just use the first (uh, Roman alpabet?) character from the word, as they're all unique anyway. The point of Alpha, Bravo, Delta, ect. is to make you more clear over crappy radio reception, but text doesn't really need that.

#3 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

omg all of my yes! it is so friggin hard to remember which point is which during combat, and taking time to look at the actual map will get you killed in most situations.

it doesn't have to be the greek symbols, but something to distinguish the cluster of points on my compass really would be nice.

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

View Postblinkin, on 26 January 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

it doesn't have to be the greek symbols, but something to distinguish the cluster of points on my compass really would be nice.

Yep.

Active nav points should stand out on the compass.

#5 Daora Wing

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Fu** yes! Give us something which allows us to recognize the points on our compass, so we don't always have to look on our map ;)

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Good Idea

#7 Insane Puppet

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I just started playing recently but it seems the more often I open up my map the more likely I am to die & this would allow people to communicate commands or enemy location quicker and more clearly.

#8 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostInsane Puppet, on 26 January 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

I just started playing recently but it seems the more often I open up my map the more likely I am to die & this would allow people to communicate commands or enemy location quicker and more clearly.

this is not just something for newbies. it is amazing how much your IQ drops during the stress of heavy combat. i have all of the maps themselves memorized, but i cannot remember which point is which in conquest and they often cluster together or overlap on your compass.

#9 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Bump for prosperity. I am for this.

#10 Mike Townsend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRedmond

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. If not the greek letter, the closest English one. Anything to distinguish them on the compass would be a huge win.

#11 Insane Puppet

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

The game is complex enough to learning a few Greek letters won't kill anyone that would make the most sense.

#12 Grendel Toot

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

#13 MajorBludd

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

agree'd it would make teamwork so much quicker

#14 BloodyDziq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

my additional suggestion: distance to cap points on gui

#15 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Uh, you could just call grid coordinates. No need for waypoints when using grid coordinates.

#16 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Grid coordinates are like the red dots in the middle of combat. There is a C7 on every map and variant... it kind of gets you a little disorientated during combat if you haev to first think of which map you are on to figure out exaclty which C7 is meant from the 7 or 8 you have memorized.

Changing the red dots to A, B, C, D, E and adding a distance to the waypoint below each letter would be a great way to making conquest that much better for everyone.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 31 January 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#17 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yes with one caveat - they need to name the opposing force something that doesn't collide, because the enemy mechs should also be displayed as such.

The current opposing team, in drop order, are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H. Check their little reticle next time you target them, it's at the top.

While most of the Conquest way points work as is Epsilon collides with E. Rename Epsilon to Omega and we're good.

#18 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostInsane Puppet, on 31 January 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

The game is complex enough to learning a few Greek letters won't kill anyone that would make the most sense.

i don't know some of the people on the forums might suffer a brain hemorrhage from trying to add that much knowledge.

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 31 January 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Uh, you could just call grid coordinates. No need for waypoints when using grid coordinates.

and we would still be forced to memorize an abstract system that has no direct relation to any sort of landmark. the grid is much more organized than the cap points are, but still new players get left hanging in the wind. also the cap points do not reference the grid in any way within the game.

don't get me wrong when i am using voice coms the grid is great for relaying enemy locations or organizing a plan. the grid is of very little use when pugging because in most important situations you do not have time to type anything coherent.

tldr: that still doesn't tell you where theta is.

#19 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

bump

#20 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

while I like this idea (+1), for most people the Greek characters may as well be red dots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users