Thermal Vision Getting Washed Out When Hot.

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Thermal Vision Getting Washed Out When Hot. (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want heat to affect thermal?

1. Yes (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. No (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RoboCyberMummy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm not sure if PGI already has this on a list of things to do. I was just thinking about it is all.

I think it's odd that my mech is generating all this heat, but I can't see it when I'm in thermal vision. My cockpit always looks cold. The books are always talking about how hot it gets in the cockpit and the need for coolant vests. I think it would be a cool feature to have the thermal vision mode get washed out as the heat rises in the mech. This could also help with the fact that there is very little reason not to use thermal at the moment.

For people who like the current thermal mode, PGI could make a module that reduces or negates these effects.

Thanks for reading. :P

#2 ArcDemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yes, absolutely. It's a bit silly watching people use thermal vision 100% of the time and I had this same thought that heat bleeding off the mech should obscure the thermal cameras. Thermal vision should be for spotting targets, not a permanent thing.

#3 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thermal is calibrated for extreme temps.

That is, pretty much anything less than 38° C will appear blue.

#4 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

i would agree, but before hand we would need a night vision that is worth using on a map like river city night. I can't see **** with Night Vision, the only way for me to see something there is to use heat vision

Edit: i still voted yes though, you could say "yes if NV is fixed"

Edited by Elder Thorn, 27 January 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#5 KUUL101

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Night vision needs improvement, and "no" leave thermal vision alone.
:P

#6 RoboCyberMummy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 27 January 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Thermal is calibrated for extreme temps.

That is, pretty much anything less than 38° C will appear blue.

I'm kind of just going off of the novels here, but the pilot needs to wear a special cooling vest to keep from getting boiled alive. 38° C isn't that hot. (100.4° F for us non-metric types)

Besides, in my opinion it makes for a more interesting vision mechanic and what else in MWO is realistic?

#7 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostSpekX, on 29 January 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I'm kind of just going off of the novels here, but the pilot needs to wear a special cooling vest to keep from getting boiled alive. 38° C isn't that hot. (100.4° F for us non-metric types)

I just pulled that temp out of my *** as a guesstimate since the human body is around that range. Probably should of listed a higher temp threshold. :angry:

I know the cockpit gets ungodly hot and that mech pilots have to wear cooling vests. However, that does change my point at all; if thermal vision on the pilot's neurohelmet is calibrated for extreme temps, relatively cooler temps like the human body would show up as dark blue.

Basically anything colder than a searing hot laser beam or a fusion reactor is gonna show up as a shade of blue.

#8 RoboCyberMummy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 29 January 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

I just pulled that temp out of my *** as a guesstimate since the human body is around that range. Probably should of listed a higher temp threshold. :ph34r:

I know the cockpit gets ungodly hot and that mech pilots have to wear cooling vests. However, that does change my point at all; if thermal vision on the pilot's neurohelmet is calibrated for extreme temps, relatively cooler temps like the human body would show up as dark blue.

Basically anything colder than a searing hot laser beam or a fusion reactor is gonna show up as a shade of blue.

True :angry: I still think if my mech is glowing bright red on the outside, it should be at least yellow on the inside. That's just my opinion though. It's one of those tomato, tomato things... tomayto.. tomahto? :P

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users