How Do You Chat Without Coming To A Stop?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Will3019

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

I see people type and they don't seem to slam to a stop, but whenever I open a chat window or map or anything, my mech comes to a stop.

Help! I want to be more of a team player, but when running for my life, it's hard to let people know what's up when it means I stop moving and die.

Editted to add: people in my games say I'm stupid and that it works for them.

Editted again to add: I don't know if it works with mouse, but I can't seem to control my torso or steer or do anything else while chatting either. The throttle centering causing me to stop is by far the most lethal problem with it though.

Edited by Will3019, 27 January 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

How do you chat without stopping? Install teamspeak and get on the comms.

#3 Will3019

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostGrey Black, on 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

How do you chat without stopping? Install teamspeak and get on the comms.

How do you get people on your team to hear you? I never hear any voice in-game. Is that the C3 thing? It'd be nice to be able to communicate in some way when the entire PUG scatters to the wind and you're being chased by the whole ECM atlas enemy assault blob.

Editted to add: just saw C3 VOIP was unchecked in my options. Is this the problem? maybe the default should be enabled? How do I bind the talk key?

Editted again to add: This seems unrelated anyhow, I see people send keyboard messages without coming to a stop in game, so clearly voip isn't in play there.

Edited by Will3019, 27 January 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#4 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

As Grey Back said, install voice comms software and talk (as in using a headset and mic) with the folks you are playing with.... typing chat is way too slow anyhow and distracts from playing the game.

Simply download and install C3 or Teamspeak 3, join up with some group and play. BTW anyone using a joystick with a live throttle will automatically stop when trying to type chat or even bringing up the battle map. Known BAD BUGs in MWO.... The game is using workarounds for joystick play and it's a poor replacement for what we had come to enjoy during all the years of MW4. Now its like driving an overweight bus in comparison to a tight sport car ride. (God how I miss my Aries!!!) The game engine was set up for mouse and keyboard play only.

Various teams use different channels, either public or private. Some folks just join any available channel on the fly to avoid random pugging and getting Slaughtered! Google around and you will find some. Here are a couple of download links for the applications.

C3 program: http://www.downloadc3.com/ (Note I believe MWO still plans on someday integrating C3 into the game to allow automatically teams to have comms or a drop by drop basis.) C3 has a nice MWO overlay that looks good.

TS3 program: http://www.teamspeak...?page=downloads (Note there are some older Teamspeak v2 servers up but the newer TS3 application sounds much clearer and has many more options.

Good Luck...

#5 Valrock

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, Western Australia

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

While I agree that you should get TS, lets focus for a second on your keyboard problem.

Try checking your keyboard config settings. Default key binds are "X" for full stop, and "Y" for team-chat. If for some reason you have your secondary binding for full stop set to the same as your chat button, it would cause this to happen. You can try restoring all defaults, or if you have a pretty custom keybind setup you need to thoroughly check that you dont have conflicting keybinds.

#6 Will3019

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Valrock, it seems FireDog is right about it being a seriously bad joystick bug. My keybindings are default, since I've never used them, except to map turn legs left and right differently to match my rudder pedal script keys, which I had to do because their crappy workaround for analog->digital on the turning axis wasn't working due to it sharing a deadzone with the other axes. So you can have either a giant deadzone on your perfect hall-effect stick, or you can have no deadzone on a ****** pot rudder pedal that leads to not being able to stop turning one way or the other.

Anyways, back to comms. I pug due to my gameplay pattern. I probably play for a half hour at most at a time, and I don't think premades like reforming every 20 or 30 minutes. I like to futz in the mechlab, read the forums, go make food/get a beer, or have friends stop by. I rarely play more than a couple matches in a row without doing something else and grouping up with TS3 and such is just too involved and not fair to the other people when I just want to play a couple rounds.

There needs to be working text or voice chat for communicating with the people that you end up in a game with if you just start the game and click launch. How complicated do we need to make getting into a game?

#7 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Will - when you say "except to map turn legs left and right differently to match my rudder pedal script keys" - so you have a script to remap pedal input to keyboard?

If you are not using stick for throttle at all, try removing the stick binding for throttle - to remove this binding, use the following technique:

Find a button binding for stick, so for example if button 1 is bound to "override shutdown", do the following:
1) Double click the throttle row in column 3.
2) Hit button 1 - this will change button 1 from "override shutdown" to throttle
3) Double click the "override shutdown" row in column 3
4) Hit button 1 - this will put button 1 back on "override shutdown" and leave throttle blank.

Failing this, use a macro to fix the issue.

1) Using settings in the user.cfg, set the deadzone for sticks to 0
2) Create a virtual joystick and map MWO to use that for stick input instead of your physical stick.
3) Program the virtual stick to have a deadzone

This will allow you to have per-axis deadzones.

Unfortunately this would require some coding skill - however at some point over the next couple of days I plan to add custom deadzones to my virtual joystick remapper - UJR.

Edited by evilC, 30 January 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#8 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

I just uploaded a new version of UJR with support for per-axis deadzones

#9 Will3019

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostevilC, on 30 January 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Will - when you say "except to map turn legs left and right differently to match my rudder pedal script keys" - so you have a script to remap pedal input to keyboard?

Yes

If you are not using stick for throttle at all,

I am, that's why I made this thread.

try removing the stick binding for throttle - to remove this binding, use the following technique:

Find a button binding for stick, so for example if button 1 is bound to "override shutdown", do the following:
1) Double click the throttle row in column 3.
2) Hit button 1 - this will change button 1 from "override shutdown" to throttle
3) Double click the "override shutdown" row in column 3
4) Hit button 1 - this will put button 1 back on "override shutdown" and leave throttle blank.

Failing this, use a macro to fix the issue.

1) Using settings in the user.cfg, set the deadzone for sticks to 0
2) Create a virtual joystick and map MWO to use that for stick input instead of your physical stick.
3) Program the virtual stick to have a deadzone

This will allow you to have per-axis deadzones.

Unfortunately this would require some coding skill - however at some point over the next couple of days I plan to add custom deadzones to my virtual joystick remapper - UJR.

I already fixed the rudder deadzone by using a seperate program to script it to keys.

Another patch, another disappointment. New screens, new mech, new map coming, some shibby controls. Different teams, right?

Maybe it's time to move some people from that team to this team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users