Anyone Know How Clans Will Be Introduced?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

The dev. are having enough trouble balancing the game out with Inner spere weapons. Right now if clan tech was released you see a massive flood gate open with new explots.

Think about all the heat a simple streak 2 has gotten the clan has streak 4 and streak 6.

ER M lasers better LRM more dmg out put.

It would totally throw off a game that on the verge of falling off the cliff.

The Arty blunder and now the overpowered ECM has really took a hit on the community. along with a poor matchmaker that tends to lop side battles.

The games graphic's, map, game mechanics, are great. But when it comes to fixing a simple thing like AMS stopping 2 missles from a streak launcher. or a balanced ECM they failed out right or our to lazy to do anything about it.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 28 January 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#22 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 28 January 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

I predict the clans will show up suddenly, many people will take a virtual 2X4 to their E-peens and the forumite wailing and gnashing of teeth will be so loud you will hear it two websites over.

The Forums will then descend into a cesspit of recrimination, trolling , and bitching about how everything is OP and that instead of adapting we should nerf everything into a crater. There will be accusation of breaking canon, staying to close to TT and questions about having 3PV (for some reason). A bunch of people will scream P2W (because they don't know what that term means) a bunch of people will cry that Clans ruin everything, and a number of posters will make a case that PGI is responsible for all the worlds problems because of how they are developing this one free to play game. Many people will threaten to leave the game, most won't but many will (for the sake of their sanity) step away from the boards.

There will be new equipment, and in the end shiny new chicken legged mechs for me to stomp around in and enjoy... after the long cycle of buffs and nerfs that come with a massive introduction of new content.

........Unless you meant how are they are actually going to show up in the game initially, i have no idea.

TLDR: No clue, but I bet it will get funny/horrible on the forums.

EDIT: for some reason I invert a lot of letters...

I think the C-LRMs need their own prediction of ********.
They think they're bad now...
Straight trajectory
Half Weight
No Min range

Flames will rise.

#23 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 28 January 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

I think the C-LRMs need their own prediction of ********.
They think they're bad now...
Straight trajectory
Half Weight
No Min range

Flames will rise.

I'm with you, C-LRMS are OP. nerf nerf nerf nerf.

I'm getting on this band wagon while it's still an axle and two wheels, the ultimate MWO complaint hipster:

"I wanted it nerfed before it was programed"

Edited by Agent of Change, 28 January 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#24 TAW Robinson the ranger

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Sounds like they have to re-write the code to allow for clans and incidentally modern warfare, so it certainly doesn't seem likely that it will be February/March 2013 as per the timeline? OR did I get it wrong?

#25 Cole Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Have you people not seen the mother of all clan-related-questions??

May I present it to you? ok then, here it comes :

If clans are introduced, who would still play on the Inner-Sphere side?

----------------------

View PostJarto, on 28 January 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

I dont post a lot (im not a native English speaker), but I play a lot and i have spend some money in MWO. More than the prize of any other AAA title that isn't free to play.

Mi opinion is as valid as the one from anybody else.

Yes you are right. I do present you my excuses!

Edited by Cole Allard, 28 January 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#26 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostCole Allard, on 28 January 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

This is a valid question. Some old school BTer's I can see sticking with their chosen house, but the masses (Which IMO will inevitably be people new to the franchise, like me) will suddenly realize what clan tech is and foam at the mouth (Like me).

Things they could do:
1. Clan mechs MC only (P2W, I'd rather not see this)
2. Clans fight outnumbered (Still won't solve the problem that the Clans will technically outnumber everyone 100 to 1)
3. Rewards better for IS then Clan. Combine that with how expensive clan tech is and in theory a lot of people will choose IS because of how hard it would be to be clan from an economic standpoint. (Might still set up P2W. Buy Atlas K using MC. Sell. Repeat)
4. Allow players to be pirates and form Pirate Corps. (Then pirates might outnumber everyone)
5. Give clan mechs glaring weaknesses (Bigger 'nose' on Mad Dog. Clan XL's still explode after side torso destruction. Timberwold ears count as side torso's. If a clan gauss is destroyed the whole mech just pops...ok maybe not that one)
6. Give IS mechs melee, but non of the clans (This might actually help. If the average pupper had to choose between a Dire Wolf and a punching Atlas which would he go with?)
7. Allow IS to use clan tech right off the bat (Cannon breaking, but I say balance trumps lore, but I know several will disagree with me.)
8. Make the differerance between clan and IS tech completely cosmetic. (Oh the rage that would insue, and might not help all that much because IMO clan mechs look worlds better as a whole)

In short...I have no idea what would keep players from going clan. Being forced to restart entirely if you go clan might help, but then all new players would be like '...why the hell would I choose one of the houses when clans has better toys?'

Edited by bug3at3r, 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#27 Jarto

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostCole Allard, on 28 January 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Have you people not seen the mother of all clan-related-questions??

May I present it to you? ok then, here it comes :

That is why I think that mech clans should be Ai driven.
Maybe some coop campaigns against a scripted ai, like alyina or Twycross. PGI could sell them in exchange of MCs. I would pay for them.
The campaigns could be classified in number of users needed to accomplish them and difficulty.

The rewards for finishing them could be clan tech, but for use only in other campaigns, not in pvp environments.
Anyway, thats just my opinion of a great way to introduce the clans in the game.

**: I must apologyze for my English, i know, its not very good....

#28 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

If I were to implement them, I would ...

... make it one faction, instead of {how many clans are there right now at 3050? 18?}
... just like the units of the IS nations are not player driven, the galaxies of the clans arn't as well
... the galaxies of all clans would be available to join, for the players, so they technically are still a part of the clan they chose
... make clan tech unique to the clans, not available to the IS at all
... make IS tech unique to the IS, not available to the clans at all
... make clans fight among each other at "5 vs 5" or "10 vs 10"
... make clans fight against IS at "5 vs 8" (or 12, depends on actual strength of clan tech)
... make it neccessary to create a "clan account" for the game, that starts at zero
... implement a matchmaker option to not fight against clan or IS if one desires (if an IS group decides not to fight IS, they will always fight clan)

But let's see how it will actually look like when it is implemented. ;)

#29 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 28 January 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

I'm with you, C-LRMS are OP. nerf nerf nerf nerf.

I'm getting on this band wagon while it's still an axle and two wheels, the ultimate MWO complaint hipster:

"I wanted it nerfed before it was programed"

Aren't people forgetting about the Targetting Computer, that will allow players to select a specific location on an enemy mech, and all direct-fire weapons will apply their damage only to that location if they hit the target?

"You want this, don't you? Yessss......"

#30 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 28 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Aren't people forgetting about the Targetting Computer, that will allow players to select a specific location on an enemy mech, and all direct-fire weapons will apply their damage only to that location if they hit the target?

"You want this, don't you? Yessss......"

I would hope they never ever implement this. This and SSRM6's.

#31 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

They will be introduced as they should be, with all the grace of a sledgehammer to the face of the inner sphere...... ;)

#32 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

View Postbug3at3r, on 28 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I would hope they never ever implement this. This and SSRM6's.

Well, I don't know. You look at how they put in ECM, and you have to wonder if that's really not what they would do, especially since that is what it allowed in the original text.

#33 Zekht

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Clans will be introduced to the world pretty much like we were; naked, crying, and covered in blood.

Edited by Zekht, 28 January 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#34 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

If we allow mix tech will there really be any conceivable difference? Aside from the noise of a thousand TT junkies hurtling their computers out of windows...

#35 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostCorison, on 28 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Yep, about when the game died as far as most people cared. There was a bit of a re-birth for a while when they moved past the clans but not much. To be honest 3025 is when the game was at its best, but I haven't read up to much on the dark ages. Will see if that ever gets developed further.

I dont believe this is empirically correct but for sake of argument what metrics are we using? TT book and peripheral sales? Introdction and participation in MW games at Con style tournanents? The emergence of pc and console games based on a TT intellectual property? Increase in pulp fiction sales associated with the IP? By any of those measures I would argue that the clans definitely did not kill BT for either the hardcore fans or the masses who joined late.

#36 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

"Hi, how are you? We're the clans. You're all our bondsmen now, please form an orderly line to receive your bondscord."

#37 Pan

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Oh man if they introduced the clans as AI, PVE only content even just at first the tears would fill swimming pools.

#38 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Only way I can really see the clans being implemented fairly while still being clans is:

-3 Lances versus a Star (when 12v12 is implemented) Have it be 12v5 in IS vs Clan battles. (Or just have 3 IS mechs per Clan mech.)
-Bring back RnR With tweaking so people can still make money running most IS builds.. but clan repairs super expensive. (P2W argument not withstanding because not even premium wouldn't give you enough to repair/rearm your mech... you'd still have to run IS at some point.)
-Up rewards of killing a clan mech in an IS mech, perhaps experience too.
-Lower rewards of killing an IS mech in a clan mech.

-Minor edit: Battlevalue matchmaking would also help this scenrario.
And perhaps tier based MM.. (stealing a bit from WoT.. but have mechs of certain battlevalue in place of tiers.. Dire Wolf being equivalent of Tier 10.

-Major edit: Advance the timeline from 3050 to 3058 or 3060 where IS tech starts to catch up..

-------------------------------------------------------------
I realllllly don't like the idea of splitting your account up between Clan and IS.. because I'd want to fight Clan mechs in my IS mech and vice versa.. if only for the prestige and difference.

Edited by Livewyr, 28 January 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#39 b00zy

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostArchAngelWC, on 28 January 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

Seriously...the Clans did not kill BT....when someone decided to end the clan timeline by having the Inner Sphere mystically unscrew all political differences and invade the Kerensky Cluster...then wipe out the only "real" clan left..Smoke Jaguar..(in what will remain a completely BS storyline)....was only the beginning of BT's death...then they started the WoB toaster crusade..which killed all the remaining history of battletech with nuclear weapons...and did the toaster v Republic of the Sphere timeline...

Lets face it..you need clans...because you really want that Atlas MkII ;)

ITT: nerds

Edited by b00zy, 28 January 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#40 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postb00zy, on 28 January 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

ITT: nerds

Um, duh?

The hell else do you expect to find on video game forums?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users