Ppc Min Range

71 replies to this topic

#1 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

this apparently is not common knowledge. Several times today i have walked right up to a mech equpied with nothing but PPC and they shoot me in the face until they overheat... as i take no damage and proceed to core them.

Weapon stats should be listed on the weapons in the mechlab. people shouldn’t have to go to a 3rd party website just to find out how much damage or range a weapon has.

#2 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Aw, don't tell ;) . Some thinks that ER PPC has min range too :)

#3 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

They are working on that I think.

And that is why I only use ERPPCs

#4 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 28 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

They are working on that I think.

I do not recall any (official) mention of a fix on the PPC's minimum range. I do know that the TT version has a min. range of 3 hexes (about 90m in game, which is pretty much accurate from what I have seen).

#5 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostNovawrecker, on 28 January 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

I do not recall any (official) mention of a fix on the PPC's minimum range. I do know that the TT version has a min. range of 3 hexes (about 90m in game, which is pretty much accurate from what I have seen).

The minimum range is always staying in game. He's referring to the MechLab being a WIP and having values added to the displays in game.

#6 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

There is nothing to "fix" with the PPC's min range as its by design just like LRM's.

That being said, there has been some discussion on a better way to communicate to the player that a weapon is under min range. It may be a simple UI targeting eliminate that most players may miss anyways, or it may be a visual on the weapon when it fires. For example a PPC may just fizzle if the targets under min. We shall see what PGI comes up with.

#7 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is one of those easy fixes that there is not reason they went to open beta without minimum stats in the Mech lab.
The guy on the team that made the decision to go open beta with no useful stats in Mech lab is an *****.
I will not take that back.
That was the the easiest decision to get right. He screwed it up. The person responsible for that particular decision should be fired and no longer work in the industry again.

#8 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

no stats on 90% of what is in the Mechlab is the issue. I never understood why the values were not added. Perhaps because if they change somthing in a patch they would have to make a change to the item discription in the Mechlab aswell?

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm always amused by those who demand "So and so should be fired!". Really? You might want to get a little perspective. I'm almost certain that anyone who would make such a preposterous claim would not like having that same level of consequence applied to themselves in their jobs.

#10 Vessiel

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

ppcs aren't completly worthless below 90, their damage is reduced linearly, 90m/10dmg, 80m/9dmg, 70m/8dmg, until below 10m/1dmg. I have an awesome with 4ppcs, if there isn't the risk of overheat and the enemy is half dead i use them below 90m; for example at 40-50m, 4 ppc do 20damage, same as an ac20. Usually they aren't worth using below 30m

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I honestly don't get why the PPC has a minimum range at all. Makes no sense to me why an energy particle weapon wouldn't cause full damage at point blank range. I suspect they do it only to differentiate it from the ERPPC. As it stands, both PPCs just aren't viable. The fight never stays long range, so the PPC is basically worthless. The ERPPC is too hot so you can't carry enough of them to matter, so it's basically worthless too.

#12 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I didn't say they were fixing the min range. The OP said there should be weapon stats in the mechlab. That is what they are working on.

#13 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Your welcome to look up the lore.. not that it matters to much. ;)

PPCs are equipped with a Field Inhibitor to prevent feedback which could damage the firing unit's electronic systems.This inhibitor degrades the performance of the weapon at close ranges of less than 90 meters. Particularly daring warriors have been known to disengage the inhibitor and risk damage to their own machine when a target is at close range.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC

#14 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 January 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

I'm always amused by those who demand "So and so should be fired!". Really? You might want to get a little perspective. I'm almost certain that anyone who would make such a preposterous claim would not like having that same level of consequence applied to themselves in their jobs.

I do have that level consequence in my job.
If I were to patch our dispatch servers late on a Friday and something went wrong I would most likely lose my job.
There are many incredibly stupid declensions I could make that would cost me my job.
And I will state it again. The person who made the decision to go open beta with no real stats in the Mech lab showed the type of thinking that demands that he not be allowed to make decisions. A job as a fry master at McDonalds would work for him.
Thing goes beep take out basket ad salt.
Easy.
This was a stupid decision that there is no reason for.
Whomever was responsible for that decision will make other equally bad ones in the future. Get rid of them now.

#15 Ptom

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

PPCS Do not have a minimum range, they still function well at under 90 meters.

And by function well, I mean they allow you to overheat and suicide before anyone in your face can kill you.

#16 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostDishevel, on 28 January 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

I do have that level consequence in my job.
If I were to patch our dispatch servers late on a Friday and something went wrong I would most likely lose my job.
There are many incredibly stupid declensions I could make that would cost me my job.
And I will state it again. The person who made the decision to go open beta with no real stats in the Mech lab showed the type of thinking that demands that he not be allowed to make decisions. A job as a fry master at McDonalds would work for him.
Thing goes beep take out basket ad salt.
Easy.
This was a stupid decision that there is no reason for.
Whomever was responsible for that decision will make other equally bad ones in the future. Get rid of them now.

are your dispatch servers in beta?

#17 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostVessiel, on 28 January 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

ppcs aren't completly worthless below 90, their damage is reduced linearly, 90m/10dmg, 80m/9dmg, 70m/8dmg, until below 10m/1dmg. I have an awesome with 4ppcs, if there isn't the risk of overheat and the enemy is half dead i use them below 90m; for example at 40-50m, 4 ppc do 20damage, same as an ac20. Usually they aren't worth using below 30m

^ what that guy said. Call me crazy, but i use ppc's alot. I think they are fine where they are at right now. If you make the heat on a erppc any less, it will be like my birthday, with coke and strippers and cats.

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

So why doesn't the ERPPC have this "field inhibitor" doohickey?

Edited by NRP, 28 January 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#19 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 January 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

So why doesn't the ERPPC have this "field inhibitor" doohickey?

Because the ER PPC packs alot of extra heat. That's the trade off. In my very terrible humble opinion i think it is a good trade off.

#20 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostCarnivoris, on 28 January 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

are your dispatch servers in beta?

Nope.
What I was saying is that it was monumentally stupid for someone to decide to open the beta with no useful information in the mech lab. Period.
Similarly stupid would be for me to make changes to a mission critical system hours before our busiest time when fixes will take longer and be more expensive.
I have responsibilities in my job. If I perform them badly enough I can and will be fired.
So when NRP stated that "I'm almost certain that anyone who would make such a preposterous claim would not like having that same level of consequence applied to themselves in their jobs."
I just pointed out that there are stupid things I can do that will result in the loss of my job.
I also am not 100% on this but except for Union workers I am fairly sure that everyone else has a list of stupid things they should not do lest they lose their employment.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users