Help Newbies Out, Help Me Out!

18 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenixtouch

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I would like to start a serious poll on what mech+variant are both newb friendly and good long term (Atlas DDC/RS etc.)

I'm new and I'm sure this will help a lot of newer players out if everyone voices their opinion, but please if you post make sure to discuss the main topic and maybe make it easy to read. I will keep on eye on the post and update it to a poll with my findings which you provide me.

example:

Atlas AS7-RS

One of the best brawlers. Two laser hardpoints on each hand allow for great maneuverability when brawling other mechs, a lot do not have this virtue. Also has some of the best armor and damage/dps. (however, obviously more elaboration and maybe some drawbacks.)

Top listed thus far:
  • Hunchback 4SP
  • Atlas D-DC
  • Cataphract (different variations)
  • Catapult (different variations)

Mentioned, not too popular:
  • Dragon
  • Jenner
  • Raven

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab ~ If you want to mess with builds and variants without spending anything.

Please refrain from flaming variants or "qq'ing" only constructive criticism please.

Edited by Phoenixtouch, 30 January 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#2 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

The D-DC Atlas is probably the one to buy if you want an assault. It can carry ECM and so far is the only assault that will. When mastered it'll carry 4 modules. None of the others will. It also has 3 missile points so whether you want SSRMs, SRMs or LRMs it has the edge there in the Atlas brand.

#3 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I would say a hunchback is a cheap/easily acquired mech for a new player.

But overall the most versatile chassis I've found so far has been the catapult. LRMs, SRMs direct fire variants etc...

#4 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

If you're getting a medium a Hunchie 4SP is a solid choice. It's got a decent hardpoint selection and is a lot tougher to disarm than its cousins due to the good placement of said hardpoints. I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

WAIT
There is a problem.

The Phranken decal for the 4SP is the same as the other hunchies with the crippled spine, even though the 4SP drank all its milk.

Edited by Tarman, 29 January 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#5 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

I wouldn't agree with the atlas RS choice - it's a good mech in isolation, but given that the DDC exists and ECM is so important, I would have a *very* hard time recommending any other atlas. The DDC's third missile hardpoint is already a strong advantage, and ECM just puts it way over the top.

That said, I don't think I'd recommend an assault at all for a 'noob mech', as they are deceptively difficult to play *well*, along with being too expensive to both buy *and* trick out using just the cadet bonus. And with the way the matchmaker works right now, every inexperienced or subpar assault on your team is another chance for the enemy to get a tricked out stalker or DDC. It's the same for other weight classes too, of course, but the effects are magnified for assaults.

If I had to pick exactly one mech to recommend for a first buy, it would absolutely hands down be the hunchback 4SP. There really aren't any downsides to the choice. It's a medium, so 90% of the time you aren't giving the other team an ECM mech (in my experience ECM cicadas are much less common than the other ECM mechs). It's on the cheap side, so you could buy it after just a few games given the cadet bonus. Even *completely stock* it's not bad, so if you wanted to you could put the rest of your cadet bonus towards a second mech. It gets *very* good when tricked out, whether you go for large lasers or stick with mediums, upgrade the engine or stay stock, etc - about the only way to cripple it would be to put an XL engine on it. And it's a great mech overall - good array of hardpoints, no super-heavy ballistics to drag you down, no super-vulnerable concentration of 2/3rds your firepower on one bulky shoulder, flexible arm mount lasers on a platform with incredible torso twist, etc, etc. The only downside I can think of is that it might spoil them for other mechs. <_<

Apart from that, I might suggest a cataphract 2X, mostly because it's got some of each kind of hardpoint on a pretty decent base chassis. You can experiment with all sorts of weapon types and builds, it doesn't require an expensive XL engine, and again it doesn't give your enemy an ECM mech. It *does* possibly give them a tricked out phract or cat, though, so it's not as safe as taking a medium. The centurion-A also has that diversity of hardpoints, though it's considerably harder to fit something to all of them given its lighter weight. That three-rack of missiles is mighty nice, though.

#6 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

for starter mech...
if you preffer light:
jenner D - very fast mech, good hardpoints can hold its own fairy well even against ecm light mechs but i would suggest you to keep close to some friendly ecm of yours
raven 3L - pretty much jenner D but with ECM and one laser less <_<

for medium:
hunchback SP - this is most likely the best choice for all players to start, 2 lasers on each arm, 1 missile on each sidetorso, may be adjusted to many different roles .from long range firesupport to fast moving brawler and unlike its brothers this one may be quite safely equiped with xl

heavy: any catapracht - all of them have fair weaponry and are well designed for both long range direct fire support to hard hitting short range brawlers

assault
i wouldnt start with these for first mech but if you have to take
Atlas DDC - this mech is simply put overpowered... ecm, 3 missile slots, 1 energy slot in each arm, and 2 cannon slots... this model work best for short ranges (3 srm6+ac20 and you are all set) but be prepared that no matter what you do you will be slow :)

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I have had good success with the Centurion-AL. with 4 laser hard points the AL can have a large in the CT and Arm, it carries Missiles so more long or short range support. Drop a 250 XL in to get 10 doubles and install Endo to round out the build... as you earn the cash.

#8 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

For new guys, I would say shoot for a chassis that gives you a good amount of options to play with. Lets you experiment and find your sweet spot. Some guys are brutal with ballistic weapons like ACs; but other really good pilots never get the most out of them and stick to their flashlights. I'm "eh" with LRMs; but I've got a lancemate that can still rack up 4 kills in a round with his missile stalker.

Hunchback 4SP is a good choice for just about anyone. Gives you a nice balanced, medium weight platform to try out a good variety of weapon combinations. And the price is right.

Assaults are expensive. Especially if you want to trick it out. But, the DDC is the gold standard. I don't have one and I largely regret it. I have a D and an RS; sold back the DDC back before ECM came out; my lack of forethought has cost me ever since. One day, I'm just going to up and save back up and buy it back from the pawn store.

Catapults are surprisingly versatile. Well, save for the A1 which is all missile. The K2 has a lot of potential for several types of builds; not just Gausscats and AC20-Boomcat. Weight enough to pack in good weapons, can have good speed, decent armor. I should probably have one myself.

The other big upside, for new guys, to those chassis is that they don't have their main weapons in the arms. I would recommend practicing with those arm weapons; but getting the most out of them requires practice.

#9 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

fits in the cadet bonus

hunchie 4sp
2 SSRM2
Med Pulse Lasers
Std 260

teaches you about locks & heat management

#10 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I prefer just the Atlas D. It has two ballistic hardpoints. Put on an AC/20 and a UAC/5 and you got some serious firepower. Also you have four energy hardpoints. Four med lazers can melt a lot of metal. Also it has two missle hardpoints. Two SRM6s with artemis delivers quite a punch. I currently have a D with:

4 Medium Lasers
1 AC/20 with 3 tons of ammo
2 SRM6s with Artemis and 2 tons of ammo
Heat efficiency of 1.38 (DHS)
Full armor exept for a couple points taken off the legs

Also it is a little faster than the stock D. I had tonnage left over with no crit slots so I bought a bigger engine. So far this build has been very succesful for me. My K/D ratio still sucks but it has been rising ever since I bought it. It is a very very good brawler. It has a knockout alpha strike.

For a starter mech a good place to start would be a Hunchback. They can take the punishment and also are pretty good brawlers.

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 29 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#11 Wraith05

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I will also say from my experience mediums and heavies are more pilot friendly for newer players than the lights/assault. The lights/assaults are very easy to get yourself in a bad spot unless you plan carefully. Lights can run away easier though.

#12 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Right atlas is big, slow and useless in the hands of a new person.
There are some things that new guys need out of their first mech.
Speed, armor, damage are some things that are key for new person to be able to function.

The one right mech does not exist as there is different factors, some like to boat other range and then other brawl.
Also Computer makes a huge difference, low spec machine would limit a player from enjoying anything fast.

With less people puging using ECM and the lag shield being reduced maybe hunchback 4sp would be good and cheap.
But not getting a new guy into ECM also limits the pilots ability to make a few mistakes and get away with it.

Check out this guide

#13 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hunchbacks are a good start. If you are seeking a more heavier and much more versatile Mech try the Catapult.

#14 McGibblets

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Speed kills...and in this game that is very true. ECM is a nice bonus when you're starting out as it provides cover from non Taged LRMs and streaks and when used in pairs one of you can jam while the other provides the disrupt "bubble". Raven 3L in groups are mean I would recommend starting with one of those to get a feel for the game and get your pilot and aiming down. From there I would probably go Catapult as it has a lot of options for builds and is a good balance of speed, firepower and agility.

#15 Granimal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 181 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I would have to say the hunchies and catapults are the way to go for new players Versatile and somewhat forgiving.

#16 vectorpirate

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Get a Dragon or a Catapult. Both are better armored than a Hunchie and in the Dragon you can get all three hardpoint types in the same mech.

For Dragon I would say a DRG-1N because it has multiple of all three hardpoint types. Also, Dragons are fast and speed remains very important. The drawback is that they are pretty much a heavy medium so you are giving up something in matchmaking and can be a bit unwieldy until you get used to them.

For a Catapult go with the CPLT-C1. Major advanteges include a higher amount of energy hardpoints if you want to mount big lasers and be able to TAG and jump jets. Also, they can be very durable and have the best torso twist in the game. Downsides include arms that barely move, cost (roughly 1M more than Dragon), and lack of ballistic hardpoints.

Edited by vectorpirate, 29 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#17 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

My two cents would be either a Hunchback, or if you have the c-bills, a Cataphract. Hunchback is the better choice though, can be bought and nearly completely kitted out for the new pilot bonus. The 4SP is a solid choice, has great firepower, and can be adapted to several roles. It's also very easy to drive, which helps tremendously. I personally use a 4H with an AC20 and 3 ML's, if you build it properly, you can stuff a 245 in there and have yourself a very mobile heavy gun platform. Depends on taste, of course. I prefer a big single punch weapon to a missile rack, but if you like the SRM's definitely go with the 4SP.

I would suggest a 2X phract if you decide to go that route. It's an incredibly flexible platform, and is capable of doing nearly anything well if you are a good builder.

And speaking of building:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

Play around in that to your hearts desire, you'll turn out much better designs in general if you have that to chart your builds beforehand.

Edit: For an example, this is my 4H build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fe6bc8850c86e32

Edited by JokerVictor, 29 January 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#18 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

As a new player I would initially stay away from ECM.

I would get your sea legs on other mech variants without relying on the training wheel play experience that is ECM.

Eventually when you start playing with a team it may benefit you to eventually get an ECM capable mech since they a staple in organized play.

I personally don't own an ECM mech out of principle.

#19 Phoenixtouch

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thank you and hopefully we can get more input, seems its either the hunchback or DD-C hands down.

I think with ECM, catapults are not newb friendly. Hard to lock onto targets, so I put the ctf ahead of it.

If anyone knows what variants of catapult / ctf are best or newb friendly any input would also help me decide what variants should be listed or ahead of another mech/variant.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users