Question On Double Heat Sinks

25 replies to this topic

#21 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Looks like engine DHS' were ninja upgraded somewhere along the way. I'm surprised it wasn't more noticed at the end of December, I guess I was too involved with ECM to notice!

I stand by my assertion that all DHS are .14 cooling per second instead of .20.

Look at Bryan's post all the way at the bottom, the last patch in November 6th was .14 per second for all DHS'. If there was a ninja patch, then everyone would have been posting about how much better their cooling was, and I have yet to see any posts that showed any type of dramatic increase since the November 4th patch. So unless someone has a newer post by PGI to show cooling is changed from 1.4x, I believe all the cooling should be 0.14 per second for all DHS'.

Just to clarify how many "Engine Heat Sinks" there are: the number of engine heat sinks is dependent on the size of the engine, you get 1 heat sink (single or double) per 25 engine size, so 250 engines (XL or regular) will hold 10 Heat Sinks, 300 will hold 12 Heat Sinks. So take that into account when purchasing XL engines, I picked up the 255XL and 280XL engines since they get me past the 25 barrier for one more heat sink and weigh the same as the 250XL/275XL equivalent.

Here is my summary as I understand it and from testing from Vlad's informal testing as well.

Heat thresold=
30+ Heat Sink add-ons
1.0 per standard heatsink
1.4 per non-engine double heatsink
2.0 per engine double heat sink

Heat dissipation=
.1 per second for standard heatsinks
.14 per second for external double heatsinks
.20 per second for engine double heat sinks

-S

Edited by Splinters, 29 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#22 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostSplinters, on 29 January 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

This post

http://mwomercs.com/...14#entry1474814

is from November 22nd, and the first part of it says:
"Double heat sinks internal to the engine are set to increase the heat scale by 2 points and provide -0.2 heat/sec cooling. Double heat sinks that you add to your Mech increase the heat scale by 1.4 points and provide -0.14 heat/sec cooling. (For reference, single heat sinks increase the scale by 1 and cool -0.1 heat/sec. The heat scale starts at 30 and is then is increased based on the heat sinks in your Mech."

I think you are thinking what you are thinking because that post by Bryan was poorly worded (a common problem on here it seems).

#23 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

OK, but you're wrong. It's been bantered and confirmed numerous times on this forum, but the official info is so buried it's hard to pull up a solid reference.

Now that the mechlab reads correct calculated heat values now however, just play around shifting DHS from inside the engine to elsewhere on the mech. Use a mech with a 300 in it, and after moving the two 'extras' outside the engine, there will be no change in heat dissipation.

Now drop a 200 in the same mech and bring it up to the same grand total of heatsinks. What happened? The 200 only holds eight 2.0 DHS internally, so even with the same grand total as before that you had with the 300, the heat eff is noticeably lower since now only eight are 2.0 as opposed to the ten max that a >250 allows.

#24 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostKrellek, on 29 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Here is the post:

http://mwomercs.com/.../66086-archive/

I’d like to expand on some information from an earlier post and provide more details on Standard and Double Heat Sinks.

First, let’s take a look at a Standard Heat Sink. It’s a pretty basic piece of equipment that weighs 1 ton, occupies 1 critical slot. Each Standard Heat Sink equipped on your Mech cools it by 0.1 heat/sec and increases the maximum heat threshold before you shut down by 1.

A Double Heat Sink also weighs 1 ton, but it occupies 3 critical slots. This means that you’re unable to fit them in a Mech’s head, center torso, or legs. The upside is that each one cools your Mech by 0.2 heat/sec and increases your maximum heat capacity by 2.

Thanks Krellek,

This was news to me, so thanks very much for the link.

#25 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostTolkien, on 29 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Thanks Krellek,

This was news to me, so thanks very much for the link.

Keep in mind the date of the post linked by Krellek. It's from October while the one by Bryan Ekman is from the end of November. Currently, heat sinks that come with engines cool at .2 hps and ones you add, even to the engine, cool at .14 hps. A 250 engine in the lightest engine that includes 10 heat sinks. Compare your heat efficiency bar with that added to your 'Mech (you don't have to buy it to see it) to your 'Mech with a 245 + 1 double heat sink installed.

#26 Krellek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationGlendora, CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostSeth, on 29 January 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

Keep in mind the date of the post linked by Krellek. It's from October while the one by Bryan Ekman is from the end of November. Currently, heat sinks that come with engines cool at .2 hps and ones you add, even to the engine, cool at .14 hps. A 250 engine in the lightest engine that includes 10 heat sinks. Compare your heat efficiency bar with that added to your 'Mech (you don't have to buy it to see it) to your 'Mech with a 245 + 1 double heat sink installed.

aye

I have been having trouble finding all the links. Either way the post still answered his initial question of whether or not HS's increased heat threshold as well as heat displacement.

Edited by Krellek, 30 January 2013 - 01:12 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users