#1 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Since we have been on the topic of weapons directly effecting ECM. Lets look at how Artilery Weapons can have an effect on ECM.

All Artilery Weapons that can be equiped on a Mech
Long Tom Cannon
Sniper Artillery Piece
Sniper Artillery Cannon
Thumper Artiller Piece
Thumper Cannon
Arrow IV Artillery

The blast radius is big enough to effect most/if not all Mechs within the ECM bubble. 1 Hex full damge and all adjacent Hexes 1/2 damage in the table top game (Can't remeber exactly how far that is in meters. I think it's 30m for full damage and 90m for half damage). Fire some artilery into a bunch of Mechs huddleing under an ECM umbrela and they will likly scatter like Cockroaches with most/if not all of them taking damage.

It shouldn't requier a direct hit to do damage. As it should be able to be fired at the ground and stll do the same splash damage. However, Artillery Weapons does have a good chance on doing collateral damage. Worse, then what indirect fire LRMs do. But, it is easyer to keep under control.

One of the biggest drawbacks for Artilery Weapons in every game I have seen them featured in, is they have a very long reload time. Which, makes them very hard to use at close range. But, the extremely long range some of them have and damage makes up for it. When I say "Extremely". I mean thousands of meters. Enough, to cover very large maps. This kind of range also, lets you fire so far away. You may, need a spoter to tell you where you are hitting and help adjust your aim.

Some crit splitting will be needed for them and bigger maps will help show thier true potential.

Thoughts, comments, or anything I miss anything? Will edit if needed.

Edited by Eddrick, 29 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#2 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Seems like, right off the bat, you'd need to make the weapon ineffective within a pretty large radius, say five or six hundred meters.

And before that nerf came into play I can just see some punk in a big artillery mech knocking out all the lights on his own side with one shot at the start of a match...

#3 Kinilan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Devs have already said none of that stuff is going to be equipable. No I don't have a quote. Feel free to go digging through the old ATDs though.

There will however be things like UAV drones and air/artillery strikes launched through the battle grid. They will be a consumable that you buy/use The exact details aren't known.

#4 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I would suggest artillery working strictly as a module based weapon, especially with maps currently being so close quarters. Imagine the uproar if we had mountable arty. People are having enough trouble with LRMs at the moment (just focused artillery really).

#5 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostKinilan, on 29 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Devs have already said none of that stuff is going to be equipable. No I don't have a quote. Feel free to go digging through the old ATDs though.

There will however be things like UAV drones and air/artillery strikes launched through the battle grid. They will be a consumable that you buy/use The exact details aren't known.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Q: Are we going to be seeing any of the more exotic weapons, such as the Arrow IV or Long Tom?[Least Action Jackson]
A: I assume so. Maybe not all of the exotic weapons (lolz chemical lasers), but many of them, yes. [Garth]

Still digging. But, found this so far.

EDIT: Looked through all of the "Ask the Devs". That was all I found regarding Artilery Weapons.

Edited by Eddrick, 29 January 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#6 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostIalti, on 29 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Seems like, right off the bat, you'd need to make the weapon ineffective within a pretty large radius, say five or six hundred meters.

They have no minimum range that I know of. The reload time more then makes up the differance. About five seconds.

Example of Artilery Weapons from Chromehounds for the X-Box 360 http://www.youtube.c...bed/UfrObLlTIz0

View PostIalti, on 29 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

And before that nerf came into play I can just see some punk in a big artillery mech knocking out all the lights on his own side with one shot at the start of a match...

People like that will do whatever they can to bother others. It may even be possible with the modual version.

Edited by Eddrick, 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#7 Kinilan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

From the latest ATD

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Q: Indirect Fire Units
A: We have plans to introduce Artillery and Air Strikes into MWO this year. These will be consumable items players can equip to a module slot, and used during matchplay. Details will be forthcoming when we get close to releasing them.

Q: BattleGrid - Well, do you have any plans for it? To change display or add more command features ( being able to send air support and stuff like that).
A: Yes! Lots left to implement here: Commander Controls, Lance Controls, Drone, Artillery, and Air Strikes functionality.

So ya. we'll see them but they won't be installed like a laser or an AC. Either they will go in as their own thing or be a module or tied to the command console that currently does nothing. But that is just speculation.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users