#1 Terbius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Bay Area

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hello all,

well after many months of agonizingly bad FPS in my gameplay, I came to a revelation tonight. First about my setup:
Im playing on a Lenovo Thinkpad 520 laptop, with the following
Intel i7 CPU
8g ram
DX 11
Intel HD Graphics Family internal GPU

now on to the money shot...
so it happened when I came home from work, opened up the laptop, and started playing MWO without plugging the laptop into the AC adapter and therefore running it off the battery. Now this is very rare, I ALWAYS plug it in. So long story short, the game ran so much better than usual! I was running at ~28 FPS compared to my usual 10 FPS. So eventually my laptop ran out of battery, I kicked myself for forgetting and plugged it back in, returned to gameplay, lo and behold the FPS had dropped back into the toilet. Now I had a clue. I went back into a game while plugged in, saw my 10FPS, then midgame I unplugged the laptop and the FPS instantly raised to 28. So WTF???!! I believed it to be an intel powersave feature, so I went into my BIOS and disabled that, but it is still happening. Now I leave it to you, oh enlightened mechwarriors of the intertoobs, please help me wrap my head around this problem!

Terb

TL;DR
Unplugging laptop makes game work better. Why?

#2 Terbius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationThe Bay Area

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

It has come to my attention that I am actually using a 90w power adapter, from a thinkpad 510, instead of the 170w adapter for a 520. I believe this may be the problem.

Edited by Terbius, 29 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users