We Mechwarriors Need Stomp On Over To Gog.com

47 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 11 October 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Also if you buy MW2 Titanium you can find the patches and run it on XP.

MW2 Titanium may be more technically advanced than original MW2, but it is a "lite" version of the game. The musical pieces are shortened, the AI is dumber, the game is easier and faster.

You want to play the DOS version if you want to really play MW2.

#42 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 11 October 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

You can run MW3 on windows XP (NO Patches required!). Also if you buy MW2 Titanium you can find the patches and run it on XP. You can also run the original through DosBox with patching.

Who the hell still uses XP? Also, MW3 has issues that go beyond OS compatibility. MW3 does NOT play nice with a lot of newer ATI GPUs, and has issues with fast multicore CPUs.

#43 TychoTheItinerant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 12 October 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Sorry for just saying something to try and be helpful!

[redacted]

Anyway, I managed to convince a relative to ship me their old MW3+PM discs, so it's just a matter of finding and DLing the fixes to get it working on Win7. One of the forums on which these fixes can supposedly be found isn't even operational anymore as near as I can tell - I sent a registration request months ago and it's still pending moderator approval (which will likely never come, since the forum is effectively abandoned). Don't suppose anyone else here knows of a place where the ATI and Win7 fixes for MW3 could be tracked down? My Google-fu is failing me here. It also doesn't look like we're gonna win the vote-race on GOG, unfortunately (though at least the games beating us in votes are decent)

Edited by miSs, 13 October 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#44 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostFitzbattleaxe, on 10 October 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Don't see anything in there about bumping, and bringing attention to a thread that many people would probably be interested in is about as far from useless as a post can be.

For future reference, would it have been preferable to create a brand new thread?

I just told you that bumps are spam and spam is coverd in the CoC. You can also try the more detailed uniform code of mechwarrior justice, wich will also tell you, that post without real content are forbidden.

Spamming / Trolling
Any MechWarrior who-
  • Excessively communicates the same or similar phrases; or
  • Posts or transmits gibberish; or
  • Creates posts only to link to other posts; or
  • Creates threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest; or
  • Posts non-content (‘First’, ‘ibtl’, ‘tl;dr’, ‘yawn’, ‘l2p’, ‘bump’, ‘placeholder’ etc…); or
  • Posts in incorrect sub-forums; or
  • Duplicates posts;
Is guilty of Breach of Inner Sphere Peace and shall be moderated.

If a thread doesn't generate enough atention on his own, it dies. Creating a duplicate of a dying threat, just to get more attention for your topic, is also a form of spamming (see quote above). Be creative and post something new, if you want to breath new life into a topic!

Edited by Egomane, 12 October 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#45 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 October 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I just told you that bumps are spam and spam is coverd in the CoC. You can also try the more detailed uniform code of mechwarrior justice, wich will also tell you, that post without real content are forbidden.

If I might offer a suggestion, you might want to keep all the rules in one place, as the first link you posted has different content than the second.

If a thread doesn't generate enough atention on his own, it dies. Creating a duplicate of a dying threat, just to get more attention for your topic, is also a form of spamming (see quote above). Be creative and post something new, if you want to breath new life into a topic!

By that logic, any topic can only be introduced on this forum once, and then never again. That is to say, if user X starts a thread on the subject of autocannon dps which, after a few weeks, slides off the front page, and then several months later user Y starts a similar thread, then according to you that would be a violation of the forum rules because the original thread died of natural causes. But things change over time, and new people might be interested who either didn't see the first thread, or for whatever other reason may not have been that interested in autocannons in the past. Similarly, the point of this thread was to simply to convey information about a petition on a website - nothing more, nothing less. Certainly, when this was started by someone no small number of months ago, people who were interested clicked, and posted, and eventually the topic died (again, months ago - it's not like I've been futilely trying to keep this on the first page of Off Topic ever since then). However, new people have joined the forum since then, and given the nature of the topic, it's not the sort of thing someone could search for if they weren't already aware of it. I didn't start this thread, but I did find it interesting, and it happened to cross my mind again, and I thought I'd make other people aware of it's existence. I fail to see how that can possibly be detrimental to the community in any conceivable way. I suppose I could instead have typed something like "Hey, we're still on first page of requested games, keep voting!", but the ultimate effect wouldn't have been any different.

#46 WHITERABBITS

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

er anyways, for the people who were wanting those fixes for MW3 on ATI, I can drop box them or something.

It was only a few months ago I found the links but they may be gone and I no longer have the instructions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users