Incompetent Quicklook At Mwo

20 replies to this topic

#1 ScottishHobson

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Hi guys,

New here, but a long time fan of the series. Mechwarrior 4 got me into playing videogames online all those years ago and opened up my world to the possibilities of playing with a bunch of like-minded friends from all over the world.. I bloody loved it.

This game coming along is like a second Christmas for me, so I thought I'd check it out and do a quick look video of it with a friend. As you'll tell pretty quickly, it's been a long time since I played a Mechwarrior game, so I'm pretty godawful, but hopefully it'll give people an idea of what the game feels like from the perspective of someone just jumping straight in.

I should add, I am absolutely loving this game and it looks like they've done a wonderful job lovingly recreating everything I adored about the earlier games, but updating them for the modern climate at the same time. Nice to meet you all and look forward to getting owned by everyone in-game :-)

- A

#2 w0rm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Am I missing the QQ or is this for real?

On a more serious note: Welcome to MWO!

#3 Rathverge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMountain

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

Love the attitude.

#4 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

lol,
now I will know how it would be, when I will ask my non-mechwarrior friends to play this game . :blink:

Edited by Kain, 30 January 2013 - 04:30 AM.

#5 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Welcome to the carnage. :blink:

#6 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Lol, that looks like your typical PUG match :blink:

#7 Calem

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

Hello ScottishHobson,

just saying: in case you’d like some laid-back company in your endeavours see http://www.4thrrs.co.uk . Mostly UK folks playing during evenings, and – I’d say – most of them scots. We have our own TS3 server which we frequently use to up the fun and coordination in matches. Consider making an account, MWO is much more fun when played in a group!

- Calem

#8 ElliottTarson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close enough, but far enough away.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

"That Yen-Lo-Wang thing is an Assault mech, stay away from it."

I died...

EDIT:
"Nice knowin ya, Goodbyeeee..."

You two are hilarious.

Edited by ElliottTarson, 30 January 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#9 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

This is precisely why we need ELO ... welcome to MWO btw.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Nice video, fun to listen to you guys jabber. Look up some LRM tutorials :blink:

#11 ciller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 486 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Good video! Nice to see what its like for beginners again. You two have a long way to go, it should be a fun ride!

#12 ScottishHobson

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for all the comments and warm welcome, guys!

We'll definitely be playing some more very soon as we had a blast and I have a tendency to obsess over games until I reach at least a basic level of competence in competitive play!

Calem - thanks for the link, would love to play with you guys - I'll sign up!

#13 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

I think as someone who has been playing the game for a long time, you forget what it must be like for a new guy. So although those two didn't do an amazing job, they clearly had fun and that's what really counts. No matter how good or how bad you are, when you stop having fun the you really should stop playing the game.

As long time players we should be watching that video and helping the new guys who are quite possibly confused with what is going on instead of shouting at them for costing us the match.

All in all it was a good video and I hope we see a few more of them soon.

#14 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

So much for the notion that every newcomer hates this game :blink: Welcome, props on posting a positive viewpoint (which all too often go unheard), and I hope to meet you on the battlefield!

#15 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

for lrms to work you need to wait until the yellow circle turns red, othewise they dont track and just go randomly towards whatever you're pointing at

#16 ScottishHobson

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Watching back the video, it seems so obvious that I'm firing the LRMs at the wrong time.. embarrassing! Can you still load up Catapults with loads of them like in MW4?

Edited by ScottishHobson, 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#17 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostScottishHobson, on 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Watching back the video, it seems so obvious that I'm firing the LRMs at the wrong time.. embarrassing! Can you still load up Catapults with loads of them like in MW4?

I think the most I've seen on a single Catapult is 2 LRM20's or 1 LRM20, 2 LRM15's. While its true in MW4 you could get a lot more, its because it allowed you to cheat using clan LRMs which are lighter. Still, 40-50 LRMs HURTS a LOT, but you gotta hit!

#18 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I feel really bad watching that video.

#19 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

known botter in that vid LOL

#20 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostScottishHobson, on 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Keep at it. The only way to learn to play is to play. You will suck at first but eventually you will get the feel for the mechs, weapons, and maps.

You need to learn what everyone needs to learn when they start Mechwarrior games, how to look one way and walk a different way.You do it better than your partner in crime, but I notice that when you were in trouble and focused on getting away you were facing dead ahead and running. This offers opponents free shots at one location while twisting a bit back and forth even if running straight away from them will spread out the damage some and allow you to live longer.

Also, if you watch the video don't be too hard on your LRM launching. In fact if you take a moment you can see some use for LRMs that some other people forget. Locking on means the LRMs track, but against stationary or slow targets you can often just point at their location and fire. The missiles will simply hit that location and against as slow Stalker or mech that isn't moving it can be a lot better to point and dump missiles then get back into cover than wait for a lock.

I saw one point where you spun, fired LRMs and then walked behind cover and I saw your reticle flash which means you hit what you fired them at. Doing that regularly can surprise some mechs who wait for a missile warning to hide. :huh:

Thanks for sharing the vid. Some folks might not want to put up their first bumble into a game but it is refreshing to see what someone who hasn't been playing since Closed Beta experiences and thinks.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users