In-Game Lance Communications. We Need Them.

74 replies to this topic

#41 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Allowing for jamming and SIGINT interception of enemy comms is all well and good (and would probably be virtually unprecedented in video games), but it becomes irrelevant the second that you realise your enemy is all on a private, secured Teamspeak 3 server.

#42 Eradikitten

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

Which, oddly, is why I said using something like Ventrilo would be akin to cheating.

#43 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

View PostEradikitten, on 05 November 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Which, oddly, is why I said using something like Ventrilo would be akin to cheating.

Which is something you could never confirm really or hold against anyone. You can't police it.

#44 Hallstatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

tl;dr My 2 cents:
In-Game Voice Lance (hold V to speak) allows you to, well, talk with your Lance.
In-Game Voice Commander (hold C to speak) is for Commanders to talk with each other (so, cross Lances)
And put a nice interface to mute a player for 5 or 10 minutes.

#45 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

View PostHallstatt, on 06 November 2011 - 03:56 AM, said:

tl;dr My 2 cents:
In-Game Voice Lance (hold V to speak) allows you to, well, talk with your Lance.
In-Game Voice Commander (hold C to speak) is for Commanders to talk with each other (so, cross Lances)
And put a nice interface to mute a player for 5 or 10 minutes.

I like this, though there should also be a key for an all team chat.

#46 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

View PostVaneshi SnowCrash, on 05 November 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

Ahh but you said people not on corp comms. So they wouldn't be on my team now would they?

You TOTALLY MISSED the Topic. This is "TEAM COMMUNICATIONS" which means the 3rd party (ie not on corp comms) voice comms would be your TEAM COMMS.

#47 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

APB uses Vivox and it works alright last i checked. Legacy of RTW i presume.

Ingame command branch based coms are a total musthave.

#48 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 10:48 PM, said:

Which is something you could never confirm really or hold against anyone. You can't police it.

Just because you can't police doesn't mean it's alright. I have nothing against Vent or Teamspeak, I use them all the time, but I would much prefer a Mechwarrior voice communication. It also prevents ghosting, which whether you can enforce it or not, IS cheating.
Morals. Morals are our policing factor on the internet. You want to go with all the people who throw morals to the wind on the internet, go right ahead, but I'm standing with my morals and will not "jip the system" in Mechwarrior. I love the franchise too much.

Edited by omega5-9er, 09 November 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#49 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Stand to reason that if this game is going to be as strategic as they suggest, effective communication is going to be essential.

Also, I think it will work well to involve the player more in the experience.

#50 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Since the PC version of BF3 released, one of the things I kinda wished it had was in-game comms as its predecessors had. It already goes without saying that any smart developer will let people mute/turn off this feature, but for the majority of reasonable people its helpful when playing in pubs because there's not always a TS3 server (or one that you actually wish to join) to use for a particular server.

#51 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

View Postomega5-9er, on 09 November 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

Just because you can't police doesn't mean it's alright. I have nothing against Vent or Teamspeak, I use them all the time, but I would much prefer a Mechwarrior voice communication. It also prevents ghosting, which whether you can enforce it or not, IS cheating.

Morals. Morals are our policing factor on the internet. You want to go with all the people who throw morals to the wind on the internet, go right ahead, but I'm standing with my morals and will not "jip the system" in Mechwarrior. I love the franchise too much.
Ahh, hell, now you've opened a can of worms... better hope Aegis don't get hold of this, he'll ask you who you are to define morals and tell you it all has to be individual, no matter how correct you actually are.

To finish, I agree with you 100%, there are some things that are cheating, and I'm not going to go into those, because although I've placed on ignore the unscrupulous few, at least the one continues to come after me for recommending the maintenance in-game of what has been defined for thousands of years as right and good.

#52 Corsair114

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

It's not cheating just because the other guy can do it but doesn't.

Guarantee ya if comm-jamming & eavesdropping is in game, any team looking to be on top of the dog pile for wins will be using Vent/TS/whatever the hell else they can outside of game for coordination's sake.

Cool as eavesdropping and jamming could be, it's pretty much pointless. Just add a nice in-game com system that's usable and hopefully low-impact, leave eavesdropping for consoles where there aren't alternatives you'll drive people to use over in-game comms.

#53 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

There needs to be in game voip. If you're playing pubs, the chance of someone jumping onto your vent server is really really low. Give me the option to mute people in game if they're being abusive. Make it lance/star level only. oh and make it PTT open mics suck.

#54 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

View PostCorsair114, on 09 November 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

It's not cheating just because the other guy can do it but doesn't.
O..... M..... G..... ! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was hopeful.

#55 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Just have the option to mute some ******* is all I am asking. Hopefully that will not be your commander lol.

#56 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

View Postomega5-9er, on 05 November 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

in Company Battles it would not be the games fault that kid is yelling in the mic, it's the Company that recruited him into their ranks.

This, and he said it PERFECTLY.

#57 PewPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationUS - East

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 05 November 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Most people are probably going to opt for using Teamspeak or Ventrilo.

TS and Vent were created because of a serious lack of user-friendly, built-in VOIP, as well as a lack of a user-friendly community system for organizing games.

Modern games have vastly improved since, and if Piranha's keeping up (let's hope), Vent and TS won't even be needed.

3rd party VOIP actually presents its own problems, like the occasional necessity of opening ports for them to work, and the lack of integration within the game. It's never good when 3rd party software becomes a standard in a game. New players get confused by it, and servers will often kick for lack of these programs, thereby discouraging newbies and discriminating against players.

#58 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

This is something that I would not want... but... you know, there are games that refuse to run if you have programms like WinMount or DeamonTool running.

If push comes to shove you could always add a serverside option that will autokick players that have one of the big external VOIP providers running... and if a team was really that bent on finding a not-blocked programm or some other workaround... I would not know if I should just laugh at them or pity them.

#59 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 09 November 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Ahh, hell, now you've opened a can of worms... better hope Aegis don't get hold of this, he'll ask you who you are to define morals and tell you it all has to be individual, no matter how correct you actually are.

To finish, I agree with you 100%, there are some things that are cheating, and I'm not going to go into those, because although I've placed on ignore the unscrupulous few, at least the one continues to come after me for recommending the maintenance in-game of what has been defined for thousands of years as right and good.

I agree with you, Finding ways around game mechanics is bullshit. But what's your constant beef with Aegis? He seems like a pretty level headed and well worded poster to me.

#60 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, this post wound up in the wrong place... can I have a Dev delete it, please? I apologize to all, I should have sent this through PM.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 10 November 2011 - 06:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users