In-Game Lance Communications. We Need Them.

74 replies to this topic

#61 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 09 November 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

My constant beef with Aegis is that I came up with a perfectly viable option for dealing with honor violations and dishonorable battlefield conduct -being programmed into the game- and, rather than attempting to discuss it, or even to give an easy road toward having a decent debate, he hammered the dog **** out of me, trying to tell me I was trying to speak for the entire community, that I was trying to set moral standards for everyone, trying to speak for everyone, when I was only citing how the community used to be and believe and act while in the MW2: Mercs and early MW3 period of on-line gaming through Kali/NetMech, Mplayer, and other places the various leagues played, and attempting to state the most likely reaction of twitcher community players and veterans if an honor system wasn't established.

To be honest, I now believe he was either A) trying to force his moral code on me, trying to express that anarchy was the only way to have a community, or B ) trying to bait me into further arguments, rather than having a nice, legitimate discussion as I've seen him have with several others on this forum.

I felt he was a level-headed fella, as well, until the only thing he would do with any manner of discussion about honor in the game was to deride it, to denigrate me, and anyone who agreed with me, about having some manner of honor system. Every single explanation I attempted to come up with he negated without giving it a decent amount of effort toward any manner of potential legitimacy whatsoever. So, now, since any discussion of honor or morals that might come up is likely, invariably, to be tainted by the level of ignorance I saw in that debate from him, I warn others to avoid those types of conversations, period, even if he's not been part of the discussion thus far.

Don't worry, as the coming week wears on, I will likely cool it with references to him. I have, after all, set him on my ignore list, and for more reason, and a stronger legitimate reason, than just 'losing' a debate to him, if you or anyone else desires to call it that. See, I do not mind, in the least, a spirited debate, but not one that went to the level of ignorance -and I was to blame as well because of the fact that every time I came up with a potential explanation he might wrap his head around, he shat on it for NO GOOD REASON, failing to even attempt to discuss it reasonably- that one did, and it made me angry, so if I can be baited by the troll well enough that I could lose my place on these forums through someone's ban stick, it's time for me to let him be who he is, and I will be who I am. An apology will not help this situation, I am too stubborn to ask for one and, since his moral compass is obviously horribly skewed I likely wouldn't get one, anyway, because we would end up in another discussion down the road where our diametric opposition would become the focal point of another firestorm. Thus it is better for him to remain on my ignore list.

Fair enough? Have a good evening.

So he disagrees with you about personal moral codes and adding mechanics to serve either one of you.

Edited by Cake Bandit, 09 November 2011 - 10:05 PM.

#62 AchtungGutenTag

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

Bringing this thread back on topic...

I think in game comms are a brillant idea. Yes, some would still use 3rd party systems, but for those of us who'd use the in game system, it has the potential to add SO much to the gameplay.

#63 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

I had some ideas about messing with the comms rather than just offering voice support. I think they could add an absolutely staggering level of immersion by playing with jamming and the like.

Edited by Cake Bandit, 10 November 2011 - 12:12 AM.

#64 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

With external VOIP services such as TeamSpeak I don't see a huge need to roll such a service out. It can be useful for general play, sessions, with random people, and or, groups that don't have access to a server for 3rd party VOIP services. But for any semi-decent group of players, I'd expect they would wish to use their own VOIP solutions.

#65 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

It's about immersion, man! Being there, in the hotseat!

#66 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

Yeah, with the whole electronic ware are aspect of the game, ******** with a teams comms in game would be great fun and discombobulating for the effected...

#67 Corsair114

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 November 2011 - 01:14 AM, said:

Yeah, with the whole electronic ware are aspect of the game, ******** with a teams comms in game would be great fun and discombobulating for the effected...

That would be cool!

Of course, if there is the option of bypassing said things like eavesdropping and interruption of communication, then it stands to reason that anyone looking to win, would do so and operate under the assumption that their opponents will do the same. After all, they want to win just as much, right?

#68 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

View PostAchtungGutenTag, on 09 November 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Bringing this thread back on topic...

I think in game comms are a brillant idea. Yes, some would still use 3rd party systems, but for those of us who'd use the in game system, it has the potential to add SO much to the gameplay.
Yes, I apologize, I should have answered him in PM the first time, and I've answered him in PM this time. I was NOT attempting to hijack the thread and, again, I apologize for that faux pas.

#69 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

What they need is the ability to broadcast through your mech speakers.

I need to be able to blast some Viking Metal as I charge my foes. Granted I'll be doing it for my own enjoyment anyway, but to have the enemy hear the ever increasing volume as I close in on them would be wondrous.

#70 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Ventrillo is what Id rather use. If your trying to coordinate strategy then your probably going to be doing it with you units pilots and not pugs. Having played a lot of MMOs i dont think you want pugs on comms. Too many times Ive heard immature kids on comms who had no interest in anything but being annoying. Im figuring at best a pug game would simply be an every man for himself proposition. If your goal is for organized drops then find yourself a good unit.

#71 AchtungGutenTag

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

But by adding the voice chat, with an individual mute option, not only can you implement some really cool things like jamming, eavesdropping, etc, you could also, maybe, influence the pug that's in your unit. While you have him muted, he might not have you muted, and might actually learn something from being able to, first hand, witness solid teamwork in action.

People who would rather use Vent than the in game option are going to anyway, but for those of us who don't have/want a 3rd party voice option, it would be a Higgs-Boson send.

#72 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Jamming would just drive serious players to use 3rd party VOIP software. However, I can see the appeal of an open channel during combat, so I can communicate with my opponent. I'd even settle for an ingame taunt button. It would be nice to have a way of challenging an opponent to a duel, for instance.

Of course, none of this means that they have to listen to me. That's why the mute button exists.

#73 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

I won't comment on how to implement in-game VOIP or what features to include; that's been discussed by many people in this thread.

A few people have already noticed the fact that inclusion of in-game VOIP gives opportunities for immersion and furthering the IW aspects of the game through comm-jamming, interception and general SIGINT. As someone stated, this may be a level of SIGINT that's unprecedented in games, which is cool.

The point now is: how do you encourage people to use in-game VOIP instead of a 3rd party program like Ventrillo?
There must be ample benefits ("carrots") for people to use the in-game version instead, so the devs should keep that in mind if they plan on implementing this feature. It's obvious that such a feature must work reasonably well compared to the alternatives.

#74 Hallstatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, if Comm-War is in, we can expect people to use TS to minimize this.

But what is a Comm-War at all? It is not just jamming the voice of an enemy Lance. If you can send voice pretending to be one of them with false scout advice, that's comm-war.
False pin-points on the radar, turning your IFF crazy and such can be done even if the enemy uses Team Speak.

#75 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostGI Journalist, on 11 November 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

ingame taunt button.

Makes your mech pelvic thrust.

1 user(s) are reading this topic