Raven 3L....or Spider?

35 replies to this topic

#21 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Also, don't sweat this decision too much, you will have to get 2 more lights to speed tweak anyway. If you get 3L now, you get ECMspider later.

#22 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostapostateCourier, on 02 February 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

that doesn't stop them from being made of paper. Also, they can't stick their ECM in the center torso, which does actually matter.

With an XL engine, when the side-torso goes your dead anyways. I leave ECM in the side torso of both my Raven and Commando.

I still have a Commando due to arms, they are extremely helpful when trying to get locks/hit things.(personal preference)

#23 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

Courier: not insistence, just theorycrafting. I don't have any of these 'Mechs at the moment, and following the debate over in Tolkien's Craven thread, it seems that the Trollmando's big weakness is that it can't really do all that much against larger 'Mechs. It's a great scout hunter (or was prior to the Rise of the Cravens), but it's something of a nonfactor in larger fights. I know I don't tend to worry about Trollmandos in my Dragons unless it's down to just me and him.

And also, because the more folks I can convince to give Spiders and Commandos and such a shot, the less Cravens I'll be seeing out there giving the Raven chassis a bad name ;)

Regrets: 'preciated. No, really, it is. >_>...

It also gives me more C-bills, so go for it. I still don't see the problem with the 3L, it's a good 'mech but they die just fine.

#24 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

I'm a bad pilot in a big 'Mech - I don't like having to chase my own tail trying to find the three Cravens parked up it planting lasers in my exhaust ports ;). Also, the Raven is one of my favorite lore/canonical chassis; it makes me cry a little to see such virulent hatred for one of my favorite machines all over the place, so the sooner the 3L stops being an object of scorn, derision, and nerdrage, the sooner I can go back to loving my favorite light 'Mech.

#25 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

I'm a bad pilot in a big 'Mech - I don't like having to chase my own tail trying to find the three Cravens parked up it planting lasers in my exhaust ports ;). Also, the Raven is one of my favorite lore/canonical chassis; it makes me cry a little to see such virulent hatred for one of my favorite machines all over the place, so the sooner the 3L stops being an object of scorn, derision, and nerdrage, the sooner I can go back to loving my favorite light 'Mech.

Or, you could do what I do and not care about the hate. I love the hell out of my Raven, and the haters just make me laugh.

#26 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Provided you don't get PPC'd in the back by a "friendly" Awesome who decides that he hates Cravens more than losing.

Which never actually made sense to me - you see one of the most effective, high-impact builds in the game sitting on your side of the field, and your first response is to teamkill it? Ahem: Dubya-Tee-Eff? o_O

#27 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

If the other team frags their own cravens, maybe its a decent play.

#28 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

View Post1453 R, on 02 February 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Provided you don't get PPC'd in the back by a "friendly" Awesome who decides that he hates Cravens more than losing.

Which never actually made sense to me - you see one of the most effective, high-impact builds in the game sitting on your side of the field, and your first response is to teamkill it? Ahem: Dubya-Tee-Eff? o_O

This has never happened to me. I've been TK'd for being a Goon before, but not because I pilot a Raven. Why exactly do people call the 3L "Craven?"

#29 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Tolkien's thread, a few below this one at this point. he coined the term to describe the typical usage of the machine; i.e. often by those of less than exemplary skill who would otherwise have done better in a 4SP or something, save for the fact that the Raven 3L's ECM makes bad pilots seem better than they are. As for good pilots in high-end 3Ls...well, I run from them in my Flame (when I can, anyways) and I don't generally feel bad about it. Silly, but not bad >_<

#30 Voodu777

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'd take the RVN-3L over any Spider variant any day of the week. When it comes to a light vs light death spiral the streaks will win out every time and as mentioned above they have a much better shot at harassing heavy mechs in my opinion.

As for the commando, I'm a little surprised at all the hate. I have to say I really enjoy playing it, and not to toot my own horn, but I generally have pretty good results. Often topping the board in PUGs. I find the TAG makes a huge difference in C-Bills/XP gained since they added the bonus and it makes you a more useful part of the team by focusing LRMs, spotting targets, and negating ECM even if you end up a bit less effective in combat. The TAG will also speed up lock time and improve SSRM grouping slightly the last I checked. Just do your best to tag what others are shooting or coordinate missile support with teammates.

It is pretty squishy but it is a light and is supposed to be. The speed and maneuverability make up for it for the most part even with the XL 195 instead of the XL 210. The extra 2.5 tons from using the smaller engine makes a huge difference as far as the amount of ammo and armor you can pack on and 139 KPH with the tweek is nothing to sneeze at.

Most 3L will squash it one on one but any other light can be taken out easily and you can take out larger mechs if you pilot well and stay out of direct fire. Duck and weave. Stick and move. If you can partner up with a LRM boat or two you can be a force to be reckoned with and clean up on loot. Here is the exact build I use COM-2D

*edit punctuation*

Edited by Voodu777, 02 February 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#31 apostateCourier

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostRegrets, on 02 February 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

Also, don't sweat this decision too much, you will have to get 2 more lights to speed tweak anyway. If you get 3L now, you get ECMspider later.

Incorrect. You need three chassis of the same 'mech with all basic skills unlocked to get Elite skills.

#32 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostapostateCourier, on 02 February 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

Incorrect. You need three chassis of the same 'mech with all basic skills unlocked to get Elite skills.

I've not tested it, but I was under this impression originally, but someone told me that if you unlock 3 lights it is the same. Anyone can confirm?

#33 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

That's apparently the case for unlocking the Master module slot with Elite skills, not for unlocking Elite skills with basic ones. or so I read, anyways. I don't have any first-hand experience of it since I haven't even gotten a chassis to elite yet. Sad...T_T

#34 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

While the raven seems better overall, I must say that one should not underestimate the sheer annoyance of spiders. They're ******* hard to hit, they're fast and they can jump - They seem to be very effective at disrupting LRM bombardments and snipers just by being there.

But, as said, in the end of the day if I pick one, it's the raven.

#35 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

That is true. You have to have 3 of the same chassis to level up the basics, after which you have the elites and then the masters. If you have already gotten 3 other elites of the same weight class (ie lights, mediums, heavies, or assaults), you can skip the terrible grind for the poopy Raven-2X and 4X.

EX: I have already gotten all 3 Jenners to elite (and master, but this is not important), therefore, after I finished getting basic for the Raven-3L/2X/4X, I can simply sell the terrible 2X and interesting but also terrible 4X and level up all the way to master for the Raven-3L. I have done this exactly.

#36 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Guys,it all can be said in short:
Spiders can be annoying if driven well.Driven well Ravens 3L are deadly.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users