Medium Range Missles?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hi there MechWarriors I was looking around on sarna and found that a decent amount of variants use MRMs. What exactly is an MRM and how would it work (if at all) in MW:O? All I could gather about it is that it can come in an MRM 40 pack which sounds like it could be devastating.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Please go back to Sarna and lock up the year those MRMs were introduced to the actual battlefield. it will tell you that it is the year 3058.

As we are playing in the year 3050 right now. We won't see the weaponsystem for another eight years.

This Information is brought to you by your friendly interstellar communication company Comstar. We will bill you for this information when you next use our services for faster then light message delivery or money transfer.

Have a nice day!

Signed by,
Acolyte Egomane

May Blake bring wisdom to you!

#3 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostEgomane, on 03 February 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Please go back to Sarna and lock up the year those MRMs were introduced to the actual battlefield. it will tell you that it is the year 3058.

As we are playing in the year 3050 right now. We won't see the weaponsystem for another eight years.

This Information is brought to you by your friendly interstellar communication company Comstar. We will bill you for this information when you next use our services for faster then light message delivery or money transfer.

Have a nice day!

Signed by,
Acolyte Egomane

May Blake bring wisdom to you!

I'm aware that the Tech doesn't come for a while now,I was just wondering about it is all Sarna's description of them (to me anyways) wasn't exactly clear on how they work/what their implementation was and I was posting here to try and get a possible answer from a BT vet (or atleast someone more BT savy than me.)

#4 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

MRM´s WOULD prbably work more or less like standart SRM´s, just with greater numbers and range between LRM and SRM, and i THINK only 1 damage per missle

so basically:unguided Direct fire - straight forward - medium range LRM´s

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 04 February 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#5 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 04 February 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

MRM´s WOULD prbably work more or less like standart SRM´s, just with greater numbers and range between LRM and SRM, and i THINK only 1 damage per missle

so basically:unguided Direct fire - straight forward - medium range LRM´s

now I just need to get myself a time machine and jump ahead to when(if) these are implemented, I see Catapults with MRM 40s and I like it ;)

#6 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Medium Range Missiles were introduced by the Draconis Combine's Luthien Armor Works in 3058. Their effort was based around a "dead-fire" concept and were intended to deliver smaller and less expensive missiles aimed at area saturation fire. To this end the missiles completely lacked any sort of guidance system, a huge step backward compared to other systems, which enabled them to make use of lighter missiles and launchers. Initially the weapon was spurned as something for green cadets, however it has since caught on in regular military units among Successor States and mercenaries.

Because it can be difficult to find areas that allow a unit to take full advantage of an LRM or ERLRM rack's range, MRM's can prove to be a more effective weapon overall depending on the location where they are employed. Their lack of a ballistic trajectory after launch makes them significantly more effective in close quarters fights while they still have a range edge over dedicated short range weapons, especially as the sudden swarm of missiles can be shocking to see against a pilot who isn't use to the sight. When fired at targets near its maximum range the effectiveness quickly drops off, however, and making it difficult to score any hits on targets unless they are not paying attention.

You can see the MRM in action in the videos below.

The first usage in the first video is at 0:05 - this Raven has two medium X-Pulse lasers and an MRM20.

*Warning: Profanity*

The first usage is at 1:28 in this second video. I recommend watching from 1:22 so you can see combat from the beginning of the JJ. This Kodiak has two Clan Streak MRM 40s - one in each arm. They fire in 4 volleys of 10 missiles for that 'mech because there aren't many missile tubes on the arms.

Standard MRMs are dumbfire, but devastating. MechWarrior 4 added a lot of non-canon weaponry, including Streak-MRMs, which, to my knowledge, do not and will not exist in MWO.

#7 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostVolume, on 17 February 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Medium Range Missiles were introduced by the Draconis Combine's Luthien Armor Works in 3058. Their effort was based around a "dead-fire" concept and were intended to deliver smaller and less expensive missiles aimed at area saturation fire. To this end the missiles completely lacked any sort of guidance system, a huge step backward compared to other systems, which enabled them to make use of lighter missiles and launchers. Initially the weapon was spurned as something for green cadets, however it has since caught on in regular military units among Successor States and mercenaries.

Because it can be difficult to find areas that allow a unit to take full advantage of an LRM or ERLRM rack's range, MRM's can prove to be a more effective weapon overall depending on the location where they are employed. Their lack of a ballistic trajectory after launch makes them significantly more effective in close quarters fights while they still have a range edge over dedicated short range weapons, especially as the sudden swarm of missiles can be shocking to see against a pilot who isn't use to the sight. When fired at targets near its maximum range the effectiveness quickly drops off, however, and making it difficult to score any hits on targets unless they are not paying attention.

You can see the MRM in action in the videos below.

The first usage in the first video is at 0:05 - this Raven has two medium X-Pulse lasers and an MRM20.

*Warning: Profanity*

The first usage is at 1:28 in this second video. I recommend watching from 1:22 so you can see combat from the beginning of the JJ. This Kodiak has two Clan Streak MRM 40s - one in each arm. They fire in 4 volleys of 10 missiles for that 'mech because there aren't many missile tubes on the arms.

Standard MRMs are dumbfire, but devastating. MechWarrior 4 added a lot of non-canon weaponry, including Streak-MRMs, which, to my knowledge, do not and will not exist in MWO.

no worries I was mostly excited to possible one day have access to dumbfire missles without the slow pace and odd tradjectory that LRMs have

#8 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

They are dead-fire, so basically they will work like a Gauss Rifle or AC-20. This means that your mech needs to be able to fire all MRM missiles in a single salvo, or has to fire at an extremely slow or immobile target to have a realitic probability of hitting.

#9 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostPaintedWolf, on 15 March 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

They are dead-fire, so basically they will work like a Gauss Rifle or AC-20. This means that your mech needs to be able to fire all MRM missiles in a single salvo, or has to fire at an extremely slow or immobile target to have a realitic probability of hitting.

or that you be able to track your target (like with lasers) also it would depend on the projectile speed (if they fly like LRMs they'd be near useless :/)

#10 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostOmni 13, on 15 March 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

or that you be able to track your target (like with lasers) also it would depend on the projectile speed (if they fly like LRMs they'd be near useless :/)

As you saw in the videos I posted last month, they fire mostly straight like a larger battery of SRMs

#11 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostVolume, on 17 March 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

As you saw in the videos I posted last month, they fire mostly straight like a larger battery of SRMs

can't wait to fit a couple of 40 racks onto my catapult :) one day (hopefully)

#12 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostVolume, on 17 March 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

No they are not, they are completely dead-fire. When they were first introduced many considered them a step-backwards, and they received a +1 to-hit modifier AND they had a minimum range. SRMs do have guidance systems, this is implied by the fact that MRMs which LACK guidance have a +1 to-hit modifier.

http://www.sarna.net...m_Range_Missile

Compared to other missile types, Medium Range Missiles are dead-fire missiles that are fired more like autocannons and lasers, but the removal of guidance systems makes each missile more compact, reducing cost and allowing more missiles to be packed in compared to SRM and LRM launchers of similar size and weight.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MRM-10

The lack of a guidance system and unique nature of MRMs means that they are incompatible with special munitions and advanced guidance systems, though they can be prepared as a single-shot system. The inherent inaccuracy of MRMs is reflected in game terms with a +1 to hit.

SRMs have guidance just like LRMs but are not "fire and forget" (at least in MWO they are not fire and forget, I don't know about Table Top). If SRMs were not guided there would be no reason to give MRMs a +1 to-hit for lacking guidance systems but not give a +1 to-hit for SRMs.

MRMs require a lot of skill to be useful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users