48 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Just as the name suggests. What was your first joystick (mostly nostalgic descriptions here), what's your current setup, and what do you suggest for those of us without (the last two will probably coincide).

Me first, then. My first (and last) joystick was a square base with four suction cups. Guess they were anticipating some serious gameplay back in the mid-90's. Anyway, the joystick itself was gray with a light purple trigger and thumb button. The thumb button would always make this loud SPROING sound when you used it, like flicking a spring.

As has been implied in the first part of the post, I currently don't have a joystick, though I am currently looking at two at the local Wal-Mart, priced around $30 and $40. I saw a comment on an earlier thread about a $160 being worth it, but I'll only be using it for MW4:Mercs (when it wants to behave), MWLL (for 'Mechs, but also so I can pilot aerospace and not crash on takeoff), and of course, MWO. Plus, I'm a grad student living fifteen hours from home and surviving on extra money from a student loan, so a price/quality ratio would be appreciated.

Anyway, have at it, warriors! Can't wait to see what we get here. And I thank all advice in advance!

#2 Coheed

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. My first and only, love it to death.

#3 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Saitek Cyborg Evo so far my second i think my first was microsoft sidewinder, personally i prefer saitek one (please dont kill me).
I would just love to get my hands on Saitek X52 pro or Logitech G940 both being HOTAS and latter even having pedals included in the set.

#4 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

First Joystick was the Commodore C-1342 for the C= 64.
Current Joystick is a Logitech Attack 3 which I mostly bought for the low price tag. Also, it's one of the not so many 'sticks available that looks less like a flight stick.

#5 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

My first joystick that I used for MechWarrior 2 was a pretty advanced joystick back in the day. It was a F14 joystick that had 5 buttons and a directional hat. I think I used it all the way up to MechWarrior 4: Vengeance. One day I wanted to go for a stroll in my MadCat, and alas, my joystick had succumbed to the times. I played with a Saitek joystick for a little while on MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries but decided that it felt way too flimsy and cheap. I don't currently have a joystick that I use for any game. I imagine that I am going to go hunting for a good one when MWO is in beta. That way I have time to make a control scheme that I like.

#6 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

for advanced users

try the Warthog Thurstmaster, if dont get the X53 Saitek

#7 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I am actually looking at it's reviews right now. I also saw a CH product that looks a lot like my old F14 stick.

#8 Shr1mp

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorth West England.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

My first joystick was in MW3 (MS Sidewinder)
My current that i use in Mercs is a Cyborg 3D Gold.
Gone through about 6 or 7 of the 3D's in Mercs but they're cheap enough on ebay.

#9 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

My first joystick I don't even recall the brand name on; I'm sure they no longer exist.

I used it to play EF2000 on my 350mhz K6-2 based Windows 98 box, but it had manual calibration, so if I ever accidentally touched those sliders after calibrating the sticks in Windows, the jet would start slowing rolling or pitching, and I could never exactly get it back.

After that, I bought my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, in 2000 (give or take), paid like $100 for it. It lasted me 10 years of constant use. After a few years got my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, mostly for travel/backup. It's not a bad stick; in fact, it's fairly good. That said, it's not what my MS stick was, and now it's all I have.

Edited by catamount, 05 November 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#10 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

First joystick was a logitech Wingman Extreme which served me well for MW3 and Janes WW2 Fighters.
As it wasn't USB I had to replace it with a Extreme 3D Pro for MW4. Terrible stick always losing calibration and thus I do not own it anymore.

Started shopping last night for a new flightstick and I am attracted to getting a HOTAS for some IL2 play and (hopefully) MWO.

#11 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

Maybe we should make sticky thread solely dedicated to joystick selection since there is a good chance that after games launch there will be a bazillion of newcomers asking which joystick to buy.

#12 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostJacob, on 06 November 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

Maybe we should make sticky thread solely dedicated to joystick selection since there is a good chance that after games launch there will be a bazillion of newcomers asking which joystick to buy.

Mmm, I concur with this. Sticky joystick thread will most likely be necessary on down the road.

#13 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

I think I am going to go nostalgic and buy a new one of my F14 stick from CH products. Ahhh, good memories.

#14 DigitalImpostor

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationManchester, United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

First joystick? The controller for the Colecovision (my first steering wheel and pedals (well, pedal) were also for the console).

Currently using a Saitek X52.

#15 Medivac

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBoroughbridge, UK

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Loved my old Sidewinder, size of a small planet and just as heavy, but a real nice twist and control, in MW3 everything worked from it, no idea what else would compare today :), and sugestions ?

#16 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

The Sidewinder sticks really were very steady and solid. I liked being able to set the centering strength on the Force Feedback version (about the only virtue there), but they were all really good sticks.

I don't know of anything exactly comparable, but I'll say this much: my Logitech Xtreme 3D definitely doesn't hold up to the same standards :)

#17 Silent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

My first joystick was similar to yours, Alistair. Basically just a stick with a trigger button on suction cups, had to plug it into the computer through the game port back when they had game ports.

If you are pressed for cash and/or a student, your best bet is the Logitech Attack 3 or the Logitech 3D Pro. They are on the cheaper end and have the bare essentials like twist rudder, throttle control, and a couple of mappable buttons.

Edited by Silent, 07 November 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#18 Heatsink Junkie

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

serial port sidewinder pro, frist, current, and only joystick. wants to add petals, any suggeetions?

#19 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

My first joystick was the one that came attached to my Dad's Atari. He had the deluxe version with TWO buttons. :)

My favorite Joystick was a Microsoft Sidewinder. I remember thinking it was a little broken cause the stick would twist, then I started playing MW3 with it and it took me 20 or 30 minutes to realize that was why my mech was randomly torso twisting on me. Revolutionized my giant-fighty-robot experience.

It broke several years ago AFAIK (was stored in my parent's basement and they had a a bit of a flood), haven't replaced it since.

#20 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

View PostHeatsink Junkie, on 08 November 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

serial port sidewinder pro, frist, current, and only joystick. wants to add petals, any suggeetions?

...your computer has a serial port?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users