Extremely Smart Move

28 replies to this topic

#1 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

From PGI.

The in-match score board no longer shows kills.
Before game ends, its hidden, after game, they will see their ELO in huge numbers.

This is an extremely smart and sophisticated psychological adjustment, as players have lesser intent to steal kills in game as there is lesser reward. No number next to your name to show some kind of perceived performance.
It is, on the end screen however, but it hidden enough to not matter while fighting.

This along with the elo, it should help alot with putting in the subconscious that team win>personal win.

Less incentive for individual kills means people aren't so aggressive to get the last shot in, which means that srm cat probably won't try to alpha the dying guy one last time who has 3 light friendlies circling him thus getting in his LOS, while he himself is getting shot at from the back, from another enemy. The enemy will die anyway, kills don't matter, so he will just turn and fight the other guy.

You might say, "oh, I'm a team player anyways, that number doesn't change anything", but I'll tell you something. I played the game quite a bit. Then I learned that there is a stat counter in the forum and saw it. I kept playing. Then I read a thread in the forum that people are stealing kills and shooting each other when somebody gets red CT out of blood lust. Then I realized I was doing the same, but only since I saw that there is a counter. It came clear to me that my subconscious saw it as a goal, and completely changed my style of play, without me knowing of it.

Its the small things that count.

Edited by Chavette, 06 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#2 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

I don't know. As this is a Team Game it should not matter who get's in the Killshot. A dead enemy is good enemy.

#3 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 06 February 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

I don't know. As this is a Team Game it should not matter who get's in the Killshot. A dead enemy is good enemy.

Most people won't agree with you. Kdr is important to a lot of people.

#4 ConnorSinclair

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationPlanet Tranquil--HighOrbit--

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

is damage even listed?

How will we know if a build is OP or not?

#5 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostChavette, on 06 February 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

From PGI.

Hah, exactly what I thought when I saw that, but then, PGI being PGI, I wondered whether they didn't simply forget it. Hope it stays the way it is though.

#6 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 06 February 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

It won't be, once elo comes out. You can have all the kills you want, but if you aren't high elo you are stomping/trolling/getting trolled by noobs all day.

A searchable chart on the front page would help with this, along with the top10 showing. It would crush the e-peen effect of KDR as its not visible to everyone.

The effect I'm talking about here is for the people who find it stressful to team play, and go "I don't care, I'll just do it my way to get kills", they will have less pleasure to get out from it now, and this will help heard them back to the proper play style.

#7 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

Agreed, OP.

It is almost as if someone had a think at PGI.

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

In all likely-hood the fact that it's not there is an omission. The new in-game score board is hardly a masterpiece.

Edited by warner2, 06 February 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#9 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

I just enjoy the fact that people seem to think it's the responsibility of the game makers to force them to play as a team properly.

#10 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

View Postwarner2, on 06 February 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

In all likely-hood the fact that it's not there is an omission. The new in-game score board is hardly a masterpiece.

You're right they could do away with the animation every time it pops up...

View PostBDU Havoc, on 06 February 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

I just enjoy the fact that people seem to think it's the responsibility of the game makers to force them to play as a team properly.

You're right too, but someone has to do it.

Edited by Chavette, 06 February 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#11 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 06 February 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

Not me. it's pretty stupid as this is a team game. Now they get one on one arenas then yes, KDR ratio will matter. Otherwise the only thing that should matter is win/loss ratio.

#12 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

yea uhhh huhhhh.. sure.. like this is really gonna stop KS'ng..

so because there are no kills displayed on the scoreboard that kill hoarding mongrel is gonna keep from hopping into the middle of a nice lil 1v1 i have goin on.. yeah right.. OP must think this is magical fairy land online or something.

Sorry but someones delusional.. there is always gonna be someone stealing a kill. just because they dont put a number up doesnt mean someone doesnt like seeing their name go up on the kill shot.

#13 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

To those complaining about kill stealing: Please still my kills. I welcome the assistance in any fight. The sooner we take down one target, the sooner we can get to work on the next. We both get the same reward, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I will also continue to "steal" your kills for the same reason as above. Now we can move on and get the next guy.

That's just the way I play. It has nothing to do with stats, it's about winning and getting more money (for both of us).

View PostConnorSinclair, on 06 February 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

is damage even listed?

How will we know if a build is OP or not?

You might be joking, but just in case: OP is talking about the in-game screen when you hold tab. The post game results still have kills and damage.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 06 February 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#14 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 06 February 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

To those complaining about kill stealing: Please still my kills. I welcome the assistance in any fight. The sooner we take down one target, the sooner we can get to work on the next. We both get the same reward, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I will also continue to "steal" your kills for the same reason as above. Now we can move on and get the next guy.

short snip!.....

I agree with you here. If I'm fighting a mech and I've taken it from full CT to almost dead, and someone snipes him with a PPC or something I will be thinking in my head, thank god for that, now I can move to the next target or assist someone else.

Likewise in a shootout or brawl I don't care who gets the kill, just get rid of the damn mech we are all shooting at and move to the next! :lol:

Still, I like to see these stats, but don't mind if nobody else but me can see them.

#15 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

This was pointed out a long time ago. Glad they finally went with it.

My ghetto pubs seem less intent on running off on their own to get murdered for the chance at that one kill.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 06 February 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Well....not according to PUGnation. Apparently it is an every man for yourself, grab the glory and go out in a bang game. and for those sorts, K/Dr and Damage are all that matter. That is why no matter what, if you get a bead on someone, one of your teammates will shoot you in the back, then block you up while you try to reverse, just so that they can try to get the kill shot on a mech. Had one particular azzhat pull that on me twice in the same match. After warning him and getting a "umadbro" response, I "accidentally" caught him in friendly fire... with dual Gauss to the cockpit. MY K/Dr never felt sweeter.....

(And I PUG more than I premie.)

#17 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Click on the tab to show personal instead of team stats in the end of match screen. It shows how XP and Cbills are calculated and I believe it includes the kill and assist information. Ranking on the team screen appears to be based primarily on damage done.

#18 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

Yes this is great when you have singled a guy out (with yourself being away from danger) and you want him to die as fast as possible. It is a perfect way of thinking in alot of scenarios.

But there are some factors in others:
-There are some people who probably hold back their alphas till he is alteast orange. You actually finish with him later, and he will have high heat he wouldnt otherwise had. Just to get the kill.

-We've all seen that literally disarmed stalker/cat getting chased by anything else than lights while there's a fight still going on. Just to get the kill.

Edited by Chavette, 06 February 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#19 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

That's just the way I play. It has nothing to do with stats, it's about winning and getting more money (for both of us).

This, MWO isn't a duel simulator, I will help my teammates and I will kill any and all targets of opportunity.

#20 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostChavette, on 06 February 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

From PGI.

This is an extremely smart and sophisticated psychological adjustment, as players have lesser intent to steal kills in game as there is lesser reward. No number next to your name to show some kind of perceived performance.
It is, on the end screen however, but it hidden enough to not matter while fighting.

This along with the elo, it should help alot with putting in the subconscious that team win>personal win.

Less incentive for individual kills means people aren't so aggressive to get the last shot in, which means that srm cat probably won't try to alpha the dying guy one last time who has 3 light friendlies circling him thus getting in his LOS, while he himself is getting shot at from the back, from another enemy. The enemy will die anyway, kills don't matter, so he will just turn and fight the other guy.

You might say, "oh, I'm a team player anyways, that number doesn't change anything", but I'll tell you something. I played the game quite a bit. Then I learned that there is a stat counter in the forum and saw it. I kept playing. Then I read a thread in the forum that people are stealing kills and shooting each other when somebody gets red CT out of blood lust. Then I realized I was doing the same, but only since I saw that there is a counter. It came clear to me that my subconscious saw it as a goal, and completely changed my style of play, without me knowing of it.

Its the small things that count.

I see nothing wrong with it. Those of us who overcome our primal urges end up being the top pilots. Putting in place something that thinks for you is bad. A dummy proof game is a not a game of skill.

So no, I disagee that it was a smart move.

Edited by Teralitha, 06 February 2013 - 06:20 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users