#21 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostLoxx, on 06 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Pro-tip#8: Keep your ammo away from your head and your engine with the exception to gauss ammo.

Are you high?

The head and CT are the optimal places for ammo. If nothing else is in them then consider it 3 free crit slots for ammo. You're screwed anyways if your CT or head is cored, and the engine itself is much more likely to get fried then the ammo.

The better tip would be "store ammo where it is the least likely to bite you in the ***".

#22 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostSPencil, on 06 February 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

Are you high?

The head and CT are the optimal places for ammo. If nothing else is in them then consider it 3 free crit slots for ammo. You're screwed anyways if your CT or head is cored, and the engine itself is much more likely to get fried then the ammo.

The better tip would be "store ammo where it is the least likely to bite you in the ***".

That's what I thought at first. But if the CT armor is stripped, any further hits have a possibility of making a critical hit. If that hits the ammo, it goes up and will core you. Otherwise, you need to wait for the engine to take enough crit damage to be destroyed, or the CT component itself to take enough damage to be destroyed (half the hit points of max armor).

On my trusty Cataphract, the engine has 15 hit points, and any ammunition would have 10 hit points. In this example, I'm running an XL 255 engine with 2 tons of LRM ammo. If I get hit by an AC10, and get 1 critical damage (25% chance), that's 10 damage to either the engine or the ammo. The engine takes up 6 slots, and 2 tons of ammo take up 2 slots. So there's a 75% chance the engine takes the hit, and is down to 5 hit points. But if either ton of ammo takes the hit, it looses all 10 hit points, and explodes, yielding 324 damage (180 missiles x 1.8 damage each).

If the ammo wasn't in the CT, the engine would still be going and you'd still be alive.

#23 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

wow guys... some terrible information in this thread that WAS a good simple quick tips for brand new players.
who ever puts ammo in the CT and head are just beyond fools.
6x srm6 cat will have a great chance to one shot you ;)

I'm not sure about the guass knowing.. you talking about it will be like this?

#24 SChlafmannYo

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Owner of an atlas, i put all my ammo in my legs, cause nobody shots at an atlas leg.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostCybermech, on 07 February 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

wow guys... some terrible information in this thread that WAS a good simple quick tips for brand new players.
who ever puts ammo in the CT and head are just beyond fools.
6x srm6 cat will have a great chance to one shot you :mellow:

I'm not sure about the guass knowing.. you talking about it will be like this?

I could agree with that, but... Head and CT are the two places that lose ammo the fastest. I wouldn't do this with anything that doesn't consume ammo within 30 seconds of combat, however.

#26 Loxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

View PostSoda Popinsky, on 07 February 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

That's what I thought at first. But if the CT armor is stripped, any further hits have a possibility of making a critical hit. If that hits the ammo, it goes up and will core you. Otherwise, you need to wait for the engine to take enough crit damage to be destroyed, or the CT component itself to take enough damage to be destroyed (half the hit points of max armor).

On my trusty Cataphract, the engine has 15 hit points, and any ammunition would have 10 hit points. In this example, I'm running an XL 255 engine with 2 tons of LRM ammo. If I get hit by an AC10, and get 1 critical damage (25% chance), that's 10 damage to either the engine or the ammo. The engine takes up 6 slots, and 2 tons of ammo take up 2 slots. So there's a 75% chance the engine takes the hit, and is down to 5 hit points. But if either ton of ammo takes the hit, it looses all 10 hit points, and explodes, yielding 324 damage (180 missiles x 1.8 damage each).

If the ammo wasn't in the CT, the engine would still be going and you'd still be alive.

Soda said it best. This is exactly why. Average pilots shoot for the CT. Good pilots shoot for the CT and the Head. Great pilots shoot for whatever is the most damaged and make it worse. 9 times out of 10 that's the CT. So if you want to make it easy for them, please continue to put your ammo where it will always kill you if it explodes.

You can live with a stripped CT.

#27 McTschegsn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationDreieich, Germany

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

The best tip I can give (and I am far away from being pro) is: team up and focus fire...
Dont do any Gung-Ho style attacks and help your team mates...

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users