New Update Is Cartoon, Less Gritty...

77 replies to this topic

#21 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 06 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

You people complain about the stupidest things.

Hah, you are compaining about us complaining? I liked how I was completely immersed in the game before, now I am not. Valid complaint. Go complain about complainers somewhere else, go hijack a happy thread.

#22 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Hah, you are compaining about us complaining?

This is my schtick. Get used to it.

I mean, if you can complain about something idiotic, why can't I?

#23 Jello2142

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostJules Gonzales, on 06 February 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yes;

-End of game screen takes too long to pop (why change it from 3 seconds to 20)
-Animated scoreboard (less useful now that it takes 3 seconds to pop - used to see whos alive)
-Allied name colors too dark - impossible to read on frozen city daytime.

At least the patch added more color on the game itself.

I will give you that the end of game summary does hang on occasion but my bets it would be fixed since it doesn't always happen.

I still don't notice a delay in teh score board, but then again every match I get in I end up with the targeting bug!

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Wow I hope this can get back arguing for/against my origiunal point. ITS NOT THE COLORS! It's the FEELING of the silly spinning and animated interface elements that remove you from being in a mech simulator to a console kids shooter.

How do you simulate something that doesn't exist? I kind of like the new look because in my mind it fits the futuristic looks in my head. Take away the lag some are having with the system does it really impact the end game?

How is it that this change is so appalling but no one seemed to care when they released holographic items, Christmas lights, dingle balls and all that crap. LOL

#24 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

The current color scheme for the report screens is garish, ugly and hard to read. The layout is poor and confusing.

It looks like an excel spreadsheet made by someone new to excel.

BUT, it does provide more info.

I am conflicted because it is two steps forward, but the MylittlePony colors are distracting.

#25 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

It's a WAR SIMULATOR, explosions, lasers, missles, more explosions. Then "woopdido, your dead."

It's not the _colors_ that I take issue with, I like the upgrade to the colors and lightness, it's the _silliness_ of the new changes.

Wait... MWO is a war simulator? Are you kidding or what? Please tell me that when you turn on the news and see a report about the war you see GIANT ****** MECHS runing around firing lasers at each other...

#26 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

The Mechs especially feel a bit cartoon-ish after this patch. Not really a complaint, just a comment. /shrug

I do NOT like the blue they used for friendlies, on the mini-map it is really hard to see, but other than that I like most of the changes. I do agree there should be some more options there for how that displays (animated vs. non-animated, etc.)

#27 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think a cell-shaded mechwarrior game would be sick....good idea OP.

#28 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'm sorry but this doesn't feel cartoony to me at all. I've been playing and I've been having more fun than I've ever had with this game upon recently. The new system is great imo.

#29 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I find it funny that people still haven't figured out I don't read half the threads I post in, or pay attention to any posts by certain people.

You've at least figured out how to get in touch with me. A small step for mankind, and all that.

#30 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

This is my schtick. Get used to it.

I mean, if you can complain about something idiotic, why can't I?

Touche!

View PostJello2142, on 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

I still don't notice a delay in teh score board, but then again every match I get in I end up with the targeting bug!

Ugh, the targeting bug, any posts about this yet? I see red markers stuck on my screen all over and dont know where to shoot. ;)

View PostJello2142, on 06 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

How do you simulate something that doesn't exist? I kind of like the new look because in my mind it fits the futuristic looks in my head. Take away the lag some are having with the system does it really impact the end game?

How is it that this change is so appalling but no one seemed to care when they released holographic items, Christmas lights, dingle balls and all that crap. LOL

Well, I never saw the extra shining items, but the death screen is the entire screen, not a single element on it.

View PostKraven Kor, on 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I do NOT like the blue they used for friendlies, on the mini-map it is really hard to see, but other than that I like most of the changes. I do agree there should be some more options there for how that displays (animated vs. non-animated, etc.)

This is great point, why not have the friendly enemy colors in the settings? We could choose our own. Plenty of other games have this as a feature. I may start a new post on this.

#31 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I do agree with the "Tab" issue. Many many times already I have hit Tab to see how many teammates are alive (only in fun 4 man drops), or have used it to see how many enemies are left in Conquest, but it takes so damn long for the new screen to open up, it's completely ridiculous.

#32 Jello2142

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Best way to catch a Vass is to bait your hook well.

he thrives off of golden tears

#33 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostJello2142, on 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

This.

#34 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've voiced my fair share of complaints with the game (though I still love it), but this one just seems silly. The new pre-game, post-game, death-screen and tab-screen make the game feel.... well, more like a finished, polished product. It feels like a modern game that a company had spent time developing now. It, for lack of a better word, pops now.

Sure, the OLD quick-tab screen was faster for at-a-glance information, but it wasn't polished. It lacked something. This new system they have, while it might not be as crudely efficient as its prior iteration, is much better imho.

#35 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostJello2142, on 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Shine a big golden spot light into the air at night... I believe in Harvey Dent.

#36 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

View Postmiscreant, on 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I think a cell-shaded mechwarrior game would be sick....good idea OP.

I was thinking the same thing actually, and not being sarcastic at all. If I knew how, I'd totally redo all the textures to make them cell shaded.

And with out the film grain (how does one remove that, by the way?)

#37 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I hope PGI, unlike many people in this thread, are able to see a thread like this and consider it constructive criticism rather than just complaining.

TS clearly has an artistic vision of what a MechWarrior game should feel like, and he's being mocked because he's not more concerned with whether the ER PPC produces 10 or 11 heat points per shot.

#38 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I want to stay in the feeling that I am at a war, not playing a silly kids game.

I know your post was far longer than this, and I dont want to disagree with you on what is basically a matter of opinion.

But you are playing a silly kids game. I love it anyway, I dont need it to be more "gritty" so I can feel butch about it.

#39 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing actually, and not being sarcastic at all. If I knew how, I'd totally redo all the textures to make them cell shaded.

And with out the film grain (how does one remove that, by the way?)

http://pastebin.com/wD6m3dxN

#40 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

I know your post was far longer than this, and I dont want to disagree with you on what is basically a matter of opinion.
But you are playing a silly kids game. I love it anyway, I dont need it to be more "gritty" so I can feel butch about it.

Butch has nothing to do with it. I don't watch Saving Private Ryan instead of Ninja Turtles so I can feel more butch.

And this isn't a silly kids game, the average age of the people playing this game is probably a lot higher than most games. I doubt you'll find many players under 16 playing this game. Maybe this will change when the game is officially released, but right now the player base has a pretty solid core of adults between 20 and 40 who have been fans of the MechWarrior games since the 90's.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users