How Does The Awesome Compare To The Other Assaults?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Awesome (194 member(s) have cast votes)

The Awesome is ....

1. Voted Awesome (66 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

2. Id rather drive a Stalker or Atlas (98 votes [42.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.98%

3. *laugh* You are going to spend money on the Pretty Baby? (64 votes [28.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

So with Pretty Baby coming out what do you think of the Awesome compared to other assaults? Is it worth Mastering the chassis for the Pretty Baby? Or is it just a waste of time when you could be in an Atlas or a Stalker?

#2 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I elited the AWS-8Q and then sort of gave up on it. Kind of fun to boat lasers, but heat is pretty borked in MWO. The devs sense of "balance" is what has killed the Awesome, you really have to have a mix of ballistics and energy weapons or ballistics and missiles to get anything close to heat friendly in an assault mech in this game.

Edited by Jacmac, 01 February 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#3 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

People have an issue with the Awesome because:

- current match maker drops based on weight class (ie, an Awesome gives them an Atlas)
- easy to hit torso locations
- poor weapon placement versus the Stalker (STK can use defelade and stlil fire)
- not enough armor vs Atlas (see point #1)
- the 9M is the only fast one of the 5 currently available and speed means nothing in shoe box sized maps
- it doesn't brawl well like the Stalker/Atlas and LRMs in missile spots are bad for PUGs

#4 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I try very hard to like the Awesome but there is really no good reason to pilot one over any of the other assaults or heavies. It's really in a gimp spot of lackluster speed, so-so (it says it's fifteen tons but really seems more like nine) armor, mediocre hardpoint selection, ok weight allotment for weapons, and terrible hitboxes.

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

20 Tons less than an Atlas, half the Firepower of a Stalker, a target size equal to Mount Everest...enough?

Really, if you like long range you can try it but close range its a death sentence.
Maybe with the upcoming changes to PPCs it becomes a formidable PPC boat but then the Stalker too...with big maps the 9M could be viable for its speed.

#6 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Wonder why the devs hate the Awesome?

#7 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Of course, with all that derision out of the way, I am working on mastering the -8Q, -8T, and -8V. I'm considering the AWS-PB "Pretty Baby" - it's expensive but tempting.

#8 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Only 8R and 9M are worth it in my opinion. So I would master these first and then move to the Pretty Baby.

#9 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

It's head hitbox has gotten better, but it's still lack-luster.

When I can confidently engage an assault with a 4SP while smoking and laughing at the pink paint job of the Atlas 400 meters behind him, there's a problem.

It's the commando's of Assaults right now. Look at the bright side, it's not the spider.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I got a bunch of excellent advice on the forums for setting up an Atlas, moved into it from a Catapult. I might get a Jenner to play around in some day but otherwise this is where I live now. The only difference between other mechs when you're driving an Atlas is how much debris is left when you're done shooting them.

An Awesome is a fat Atlas for poor people.

#11 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Weird ... even in the 9M you cant take more than 20 double heat sinks for the 3 PPCs. Too much heat for the damage and you cant snipe very well with it. You just cant see enough at its extreme range even with the Advanced Zoom module.

It just seems everything is against the Awesome. If the maps were larger and didnt have so much cover for brawling. If PPCs were heat efficient for the damage they do. If all the torsos werent a mile wide. If it could stand up to other assaults.

It just seems like Pretty Baby isnt going to be worth buying for the money.

Edited by Zolaz, 01 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#12 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

If they tweak the heat on the larger laser types and PPC's, they should be good again.

Stalker will get better with that too, but it will at least put the Awesome on par. Then you just have to decide between raw firepower or speed and torso twist.

#13 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

The 9M is a good mech, the other variants are garbage. You have to play the 9M like it's an upgunned Hunchback, though. I use 3 LL + 3SSRM and hit and run.

#14 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

The matchmaker is the only real issue with choosing the AWS over another mech. Matching it with much heavier mechs sucks. As for the rest, personal preference. It has its pros and cons. I love the AWS but many of my squad mates give me crap for it. Then I kill them in a duel with one :D

Edited by FerretGR, 01 February 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

As one who has mastered the 9M, 8R, and 8Q (and elited the STK-3F, 5M, D-DC, and RS), I would have to say the Awesome is weakest of the assault mechs. It just can't pack the firepower necessary to overcome its tonnage deficit. I wish PGI would give the chassis better heat dissipation characteristics, as that would allow for a more powerful weapons loadout.

Having said that, I actually think the Awesome is a fair match for a stalker, as it is possible to out maneuver it if you've got the skills. The Atlas is best engaged from a bit of range, otherwise it will rip you up if you get close (unless you're in an 8R). Regardless though, an Awesome really isn't a mech you take into a 1v1 fight and you can help it. If you stay with teammates and gang up on enemies, it's not a bad ride at all. Just realize it can't do what your stalker or atlas can do because it can't take the pounding. But in its role as a support fire/skirmisher mech, it's quite effective in spite of its handicaps.

#16 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm not particular fond of them, but a teammate of mine drives one with good success. It is purple. :D

#17 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

If driven well it's a superb fire support assault mech.

#18 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Awesome are great mechs I have no complaint about them ... I love using for LRMs and SRMs because of the number of launchers. They are tuff and from a dev post they are going to get a slight tweaking for the better.

#19 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Awesome is an 80 ton version of the commando.

#20 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

As an Atlas pilot since circa 10th century I've come across the occasional Awesome. I piloted one occasionally during closed beta so I'll offer some anecdotal observations.

In general I didn't like the AWS8. It seems to have most of the disadvantages of a heavy mech, i.e. slower than most, can have problems with heat generation and doesn't carry sufficient armour. It also enjoys few of the advantages of an assault mech - the wall of armour and ability to mount many heavy weapons.

The AWS8 is perhaps best thought of as a heavier "heavy" chassis rather than a true assault mech. Other things I disliked about it were that it's torso hit boxes are, or at least appeared to be, absolutely H-U-G-E. I certainly don't fear an Awesome when I encounter one in any of my Atlas variants.

I suppose the M variant, being rather fast for an assault mech, is more of a viable proposition as a fast attacker with decent armour, but then suffers serious compromises in terms of critical slots and heat generation.

Unless you really enjoy the Awesome I'd personally stick with the Atlas or Stalker.

PS: Something I didn't think of is that with the forthcoming adjustments to the PPC it's possible that the 3 or 4 x PPC carrying Awesome could enjoy a rennaissance, though even then I can't think of an Awesome build that doesn't do better on an Atlas or Stalker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users