New Shut Down Orverride Doesn't Make Sense At All...

84 replies to this topic

#21 Jello2142

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Guys guys seriously come on you are missing the true reason for the change.

1300MC Instant Overide Module

#22 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I gotta admit I dislike the new system.

Being able to pre-override is nice.
Not being able to actually override is stupid.

#23 DoktorVivi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostDe La Fresniere, on 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

I gotta admit I dislike the new system.

Being able to pre-override is nice.
Not being able to actually override is stupid.

This. Should allow you pre-override AND actually override.

#24 Synther

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 63 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 06 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

You have to Override the shutdown BEFORE it's initiated.

But that's just ********. Why would you override something that hasn't even happened yet? The definition of override would be to stop the automated process. If the process hasn't been initiated yet, there's nothing to override! That's just stupid.

#25 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

This thread is so full of stupid it blows my mind. If you plan to fire away while being near 100% hit the damn override button and enjoy internal dmg. What is there to not understand about this?

Is watching your heat the problem? Just hit the damn power up button and you will power up again.

Edited by Budor, 07 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#26 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

The heat and override have never worked correctly imo. There should be a warning that the heat level is high at 90 or 95% and then another warning (Betty + an alarm) that the shutdown sequence has been initiated at 100% giving you 1 or 2 seconds to override before you shut down. And the override stays in effect as long as you are above 100%

This is the way it's worked in all the past MW games. I understand how to use the current system (Press O to override shutdown for the next 5 seconds) but it practice it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Edit: I'm not crying about it. I'll learn to use it as it is, but in my opinion it should be changed. That's all.

Edited by EyeOne, 07 February 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#27 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

The new system does exactly as advertised. It overrides the automatic shutdown.

What you people are asking for is something to STOP the automatic shutdown.

What I suggest is that you override when you hear "WARNING: HEAT LEVEL CRITICAL".

But I imagine you're wanting to override so you can fire your 6 PPCs again.

#28 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostThontor, on 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Makes perfect sense to me... Nothing in the definition of the word "override" implies it must be reactionary instead of preventative.

But that's wrong.

override (v.) Posted Image Old English oferridan "to ride across," from ofer "over" (see over) + ridan "to ride" (see ride (v.)). Originally literal, of cavalry, etc. Figurative meaning "to set aside arrogantly" is from 1827. The mechanical sense "to suspend automatic operation" is attested from 1946. As a noun in this sense from 1946. Related: Overrode; overriding; overridden.
Definition of OVERRIDE

: to ride over or across : trample

: to ride (as a horse) too much or too hard

a : to prevail over : dominate
b : to set aside : annul <override a veto>
c : to neutralize the action of (as an automatic control)

: to extend or pass over; especially : overlap

It literally means "to ride over", the meaning of which was extended to mechanical processes and the like. It does not mean "to preempt something" or anything like that. Where did you find this definition where it is preventive rather than reactionary?

View PostThontor, on 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Just cause its different than previous mechwarrior games doesn't make it wrong.

It was in the previous mechwarrior games because that's how the overheating and emergency shutdown system on a mech works. When your heat goes above a certain threshold, there is a certain window where you have to press the override key to prevent the shutdown, and if you don't, you shutdown. You seem like just a fanboy who defends everything this company does, just because. If the situation was reversed and they had this system first and they put in the old one, I bet you would be defending that one, because "everything the devs do is always right". And making ad hominem attacks against over people like you are now, about how "they can't handle their heat" and the system is better for this ad hominem reason blah, blah, blah.

#29 Julian Tifflor

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

my problem with the new system is...when i overheat and press P....in like 75% of the time i wont powerup...i will powerdown even if i only pressed it once! it rarely works properly so you are already a sitting duck...and spend even more time being one.

and people with adding an O via macros sure have an bigger advantage over other people, well they will take intern dmg but anyone overriding it does too.

if pressing P one time would work properly i wouldnt complain.

#30 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 06 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

You have to Override the shutdown BEFORE it's initiated.

^^ this

when you get the HEAT CRITICAL message... press O... BB wil say shutdown overridden (this lasts 5 seconds) continue to fire weapons, heat raises more, press O again... fire weapons again, then probably explode your mech if it didn't already. The override does indeed work, but not if you are already going into the shutdown animation.

best to use the override to avoid shutdown so you don't become a stationary target in the middle of the brawl zone... so you can keep moving while dissapating heat. If you use it to keep alpha striking, then your mech is gonna pop.

#31 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

The new system does exactly as advertised. It overrides the automatic shutdown.

What you people are asking for is something to STOP the automatic shutdown.

What I suggest is that you override when you hear "WARNING: HEAT LEVEL CRITICAL".

But I imagine you're wanting to override so you can fire your 6 PPCs again.

Once again, complete lie. In the old system, the correct mechwarrior system, when your heat goes above 100%, the automatic shutdown system starts, and then you have to override it to not shut down. Hence the term "override" "What you people are asking for is something to STOP the automatic shutdown." Ya, OVERRIDE IT. How are you people this dumb? In the current system the o key preempts a shutdown, it doesn't override it. And how I explained before the word override has never meant anything about preemption.

#32 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

While the system makes sense (You would override a pilot ejection system before it started ejecting you after all), it is a bit unintuitive. But it does reward people who are better at managing their heat.

#33 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostThontor, on 07 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

There is already a high heat warning..

As for the shutdown warning... I like that we don't get one... It lowers the skill ceiling a bit if there is a shutdown warning... I like that people who learn what will shut their mech down without needing a warning will have more success in the game.

There is a point to that I suppose. It just feels a bit cumbersome to override an automatic shutdown that hasn't been activated yet. In my mind it's a little tough because it seems out of order in a way. But I understand your point.

#34 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostBudor, on 07 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

This thread is so full of stupid it blows my mind. If you plan to fire away while being near 100% hit the damn override button and enjoy internal dmg. What is there to not understand about this?

Is watching your heat the problem? Just hit the damn power up button and you will power up again.

Just another example of person dodging the arguments and making ad hominem attacks against other people. Are you people even capable of any other response? The people who are against this system are against it because they think it's clumsy and it's not how an "override" works. Not because they don't understand how it works, or have trouble controlling their heat, or any of the other things you said.

#35 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

OK, some clarifications:

The buttons and what they do is fine. There's one to power up or down as needed, and one to prevent the automatic shutdown to happen if you plan on exceeding 100% heat. Makes sense.

It's the name that doesn't match. Override.

I see a lot of people saying you can't override something that's already happened. Consider this: what we like to call the "automatic shutdown" is actually a lot more than that, and it's not an instant thing. It's a system that keeps your mech powered down *while* heat is above 100%. During the time that you are powered down, this system is *active*. If something is called an override, it should be able to cancel that effect at any time. Pushing that override button is saying "Shut up, automatic system, no one asked you to power down my mech! I don't care if I explode, just lemme move!".

Plus, allowing the override button to power yourself back on doesn't hurt its preventative abilities in any way, so there would be no harm in it.

#36 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

You people are pretty dumb huh? You press P to power off or on. Press O to prevent the shutdown in the next 5 secs.
Ex. You are at 95% and ready to fire a PPC, you press O quickly and then fire, no shutdown. Simple as that,

#37 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostThontor, on 07 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure with every example of similar "override" mechanics in the real world... You override before the thing you are overriding has happened. Because if it happens, its kinda late to override it because it has already happened

I call BS!

I once saw Garth override a self-destruct sequence AFTER it happened.

I can't tell you any more.
:mellow:

#38 Shadowassualt

• Pip
  • 19 posts

when I overrided I just blew up I know heat does damage but 2 seconds and poof Im gone

#39 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Logically, you cannot perform an override of the system while it is offline due to overheating. The new override method requires you to be mindful of your heat before you get into a situation where the systems go offline due to automated failsafes.

We had a guy stuck in the map last night who used the override to suicide. Before he died, he had destroyed 2 of his 4 PPCs due to internal damage, but it got the job done.

#40 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostTheMightyWashburn, on 07 February 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

You people are pretty dumb huh? You press P to power off or on. Press O to prevent the shutdown in the next 5 secs.
Ex. You are at 95% and ready to fire a PPC, you press O quickly and then fire, no shutdown. Simple as that,

Everyone knows how it works. No one is confused about that.

The override button not overriding is what's causing some dissonance. Most people familiar with overrides would expect it to power the mech back up again.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users