• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostBeo Vulf, on 07 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Lo he was propounding the limiting of customization so don't give me that **** about reading comprehension.

The OP never said anything about limiting customisation ... if you were referring to a different poster in the thread please quote them or people assume you are replying to the OP.

#82 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Why limit the customization? Was customization limited in MW2, MW3, MW4, or LL? Did every Mech in those games have to go out and fight with their original load, out or were you able to customize them just like you can in MWO. Let there be customization so people can build their favorite mech to suite themselves

Yes customization was limited in some of the later mechwarrior games (MW4 had hardpoint restrictions and customization was non-existent in LL). And the earlier mechwarrior games that didnt limit customization were dominated by boating.

Don't get me wrong though. Im not saying I don't like customization. Players should be able to play whatever they want. However players should also be able to play stock mechs and be competitive with players that are playing custom mechs. And that's where this game fails.

Edited by Khobai, 07 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#83 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 07 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Roles are irrelevant, being able to kill the enemy is the only thing that matters.

You can do that with the proposed systems too you know ....

#84 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Wolfways that fact that designs were based off a TT game doesn't change a thing, they are typically really really bad physical designs for the intended function, it's just bad designing, pure and simple, and it's never been corrected because..well..they LOOK really damn cool!

The first video games are when someone should have made the call to fix that but it didn't happen, and it still hasn't happened. The Mechs in MWO are redesigned, but they still aren't based on combat function but instead on the old original artwork which totally ignored that design parameter, and they also look pretty damn cool..but they are still usually stupidly fatal designs and we see that every time we drop in MWO and know that the cockpit on a Catapult is really easy to hit because it's huge and sticks right out in front of everything else and so on. These are things that should have been addressed decades ago and weren't, and still aren't, and MWO really was the perfect opportunity for doing it, since they ARE rebooting the franchise and redesigning so many other facets of the game already, why NOT go for a more modern and COMBAT oriented Mech design philosophy?

#85 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Wolfways that fact that designs were based off a TT game doesn't change a thing, they are typically really really bad physical designs for the intended function, it's just bad designing, pure and simple, and it's never been corrected because..well..they LOOK really damn cool!

Not really. The problem is the translation of heat from TT to MWO makes a lot of good stock mech designs into complete crap because they just don't dissipate the heat. The Awesome-9M being a prime example.

#86 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostKhobai, on 07 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Not really. The problem is the translation of heat from TT to MWO makes a lot of good stock mech designs into complete crap because they just don't dissipate the heat. The Awesome-9M being a prime example.

Indeed - the shape of the mech is certainly an issue no doubt ... but the Awesome is one of the worst examples because it is the cherry on top of the heat issues, and the fact if you take an Awesome you will probably be fighting an Atlas or stalker as your opposite which are bigger and heavier, or have much better hardpoints.

It is not just the shape - there are heaps of variables in a mech design in MWO that influence its abilities and role and its profile is one of them, an important one, but perhaps not the most important one either.

#87 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 07 February 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

What I love about MWO, you can loadout your mechs to do things they're not meant to do and still be able to do reasonably well.

It doesn't hinder your creativity, is what I'm saying.

An AWS or Stalker loaded with nothing but small pulse lasers...well...id have to kick you from the group, sorry:)

Edited by SpiralRazor, 07 February 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#88 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 07 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Roles are irrelevant, being able to kill the enemy is the only thing that matters.

Thats why I don't want to master any Catapult till I get my hands on a C3 with a Arrow IV system.
An because killing is the intend - i hope I can buy some Davy Crockets for MCs.

Do you see your mistake? - When you distilled your opinion you will end there.
About the Awesome roll to put out enemy strongholds - the armor have to be thick - actually with pinpoint accuracy weapons even the doubled armor doesn't seem to be enough.
Hunchbacks loosing their mainweapons
Awesomes got cored hardly damaged anywhere else but in the CT
Stalkers got a single salvo and lost instantly their side torsos

The problem is, when a brawler take the damage - he is intended to take the Mech is already down in the dirt and his pilot his spectating or disconnecting.
For a Stalker his flaw is acceptable - its more like a tank - direct your front to the enemy...when enemy flank you are dead.
Awesomes have a better chance of survivable when you go close...simple because when he used PPCs...most Mechs can charge head on through his salvos because - that Mech has great issues with heat. Or they stood still take aim - and place some Gauss Slugs in to his broad chest - you hardly can miss it.
So how to change this? Buff the PPC - so a Stalker with 6 PPC get the same benefit? Or simple buff the Awesome when using PPCs?

Great discussion so far - please move on.

#89 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

got a conclusion.
it wasn't the idea of this topic, but i think it will go to far to open a new one.
The weapon balancing does not consider the BattleMechs that can carry does weapons.
or at least it doesn't look like that.

Did the Gauss nerf helped anyhow to reduce the power of this design? or does the atlas and the catapract have to pay the price?
so when talking about the A1 and that the SRM is the problem, you should think about mechs like commando or hunchbacks when you want to nerf their main weapons.
so when there should be balancing than only the srm for the catapult has to be nerfed.

example from above. Awesome and the PPC. Wich design got more benefit the Awesome or the Stalker.

i think the AC20 should become more durable. So lets say 20 hitpoints...but only for the hunchback. maybe 12 for a Atlas.

As you can see there is so much power in the idea of quirks and perks, that you even can handle balance issues.

#90 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

i think the AC20 should become more durable. So lets say 20 hitpoints...but only for the hunchback. maybe 12 for a Atlas.

That makes absolutely no sense since the Atlas is supposed to carry an AC/20 stock. Why would you penalize a mech for using its stock weapon?

I agree the Hunchback-4G should get a bonus for using an AC/20 just because the entire Hunchback -4G design is built around the AC/20.

The Atlas-D on the other hand is meant to be a threat at all ranges so the Atlas-D should get a bonus for using an AC/20 and an LRM/20 at the same time.

#91 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 07 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

The first video games are when someone should have made the call to fix that but it didn't happen, and it still hasn't happened. The Mechs in MWO are redesigned, but they still aren't based on combat function but instead on the old original artwork which totally ignored that design parameter, and they also look pretty damn cool..but they are still usually stupidly fatal designs and we see that every time we drop in MWO and know that the cockpit on a Catapult is really easy to hit because it's huge and sticks right out in front of everything else and so on. These are things that should have been addressed decades ago and weren't, and still aren't, and MWO really was the perfect opportunity for doing it, since they ARE rebooting the franchise and redesigning so many other facets of the game already, why NOT go for a more modern and COMBAT oriented Mech design philosophy?

That was my point. The designs are bad, and even though PGI are redesigning them a little they can't change the basic designs much because BT/MW fans would hate it.

#92 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

May do have thier own intended role and should be allowed to go outside of it. I do find that sticking with that intended role. I do better with it.

Maybe, if people knew what the intended role for the Mechs were. They may have an easyer time picking one and using it the way it was intended to be used. However, if they want to go outside of what the inteded role is. That is and should be thier choice.

Should thier intended role be emphisised? I think they already do.
Should the intended role have more emphisis then it already does? I personaly, am not sure. I would like to see more emphisis. But, I'm not sure how it should be done. The idea for adding bonuses for using the Mech the way it is inteded to be used sounds ok. I'm just not sure about it.

#93 B3dL4m

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostKhobai, on 07 February 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

IMO thats a bad thing. It ruins the immersion factor when mechs are running around with weapons you would never see them equipped with in tabletop. Mechs in MWO should have more clearly defined roles. The skill trees for each mech should be custom tailored to that mechs role.

Agreed, that is the reason you have different variants of a chassis. For example i am piloting a hunchie, but i want it to boast LRMs, then i would choose the VARIANT designed for that particular role. If i could make any chassis take any role then what is the use of variants?

#94 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Wall of Text Warning (but then, Roles and Perks for everything in the game isn't a discussion for the light of mind)!

I think the issue of perks and roles have to be considered in light of the motivation behind the system.

Why have perks and roles? Well, in the positive, it serves to set a given mech apart from others of it's kind and give a reason for the mech to exist. In classic BT, this was served by the various models generated by both players and the game company, in which each model of battlemech had distinctive purposes in a neutral battlefield. Some models did not function as well as others, but on the whole battlemechs of a given tonnage range performed up to the standards of that range.

In the negative, however, the perks and roles are methods of retribution and petty close-mindedness that place restrictions on battlemechs based upon bais and an inability of the players to see a given battlemech beyond what their own preferences and/or expectations are. 'Mechs are shuffled into a certain role because people either don't want them to be fighting in a particular role or are blindly hateful of the mech and its abilities.

So, let's look at MWO in light of this.

First off, MWO is not a neutral battlefield. Such a concept would require all weapons to function equally well apart from additional modifications to their performance, within their engagement profile. MWO is not such, as devs have altered the battlefield artificially to hinder some weapons (LRMs, SSRMs) while enhancing others (Ballistics, ECM), resulting in a conflict environment where taking a battlemech in an 'intended role' can lead to it being unable to fullfil its role.

Then there is the limited number of battlemech models to work with. Battletech started off with about a dozen models in its most basic form, and about 40-50 models at the minimum expected level of play. This gave a viable range of abilities to allow for a given battlemech to be found for a given role within a certain class of battlemech, and a good range of models and variants to provide a baseline for what a given class of battlemech could be expected to function as. MWO, by contrast, has only 13 models of battlemechs to cover the full range of possible roles, far too few to provide the needed range of abilities within each class. Indeed, the Heavy and Assault classes have only 3 models each to cover what are supposed to be the battleline units in the game. This leaves both a lack of combat roles fillable in each class and a much-needed lineup of comparable mech models within each class to provide an accurate assessment of how each model should compare with those in its class.

Under the above conditions, it is very hard to impement a system of perks and roles in an impartial way that would avoid the negative aspects of such a change. To illustrate, let's look at a Catapult (the main reason for these threads, let's be honest here):

The Catapult chassis: The mech is designed with average armor for a heavy battlemech (160 points standard notation), and average speed (64kph), allowing the mech to keep up with other heavy battlemechs and withstand a moderate number of weapon hits. The mech lacks hands or lower arms, which prevents it from performing raiding missions (no way to carry off cargo), combat engineering, or effective melee combat. However, this lack also allows the mech to mount weapons systems in place of arms that may translate directly to the rear of the battlemech, providing full firing arc coverage for these weapons on any point of the compass. This places this mech firmly in the role of fire support unit, as it has neither the armor needed for high-intensity fighting, nor the speed and raiding capability expected of a strike unit.

The CPLT-C1: The 'standard' Catapult, this mech is built for indirect fire support with good in-close backup weapons in case of being attacked while performing this mission. The jumpjects also allow this mech to adapt to variable terrain. The ammunition supply is only enough for short engagements, however.

The CPLT-A1: This version of the Catapult sacrifices all self-defense in-close weaponry to increase the ammunition load of its LRM launchers while retaining jump jet ability. Dedicating itself completely to indirect fire support and mission endurance, this mech is purpose-built to stay out of direct combat.

The CPLT-C4: This model also sacrifices close-in weapons for increasing its indirect fire capabilties by increasing the number of missiles it can launch while also retaining jump jet ability. Only mounting a pair of small lasers for anti-infantry work, this mech is similarly vunerable to being attacked and must depend on other mechs to defend it.

The CPLT-K2: This model is the only direct-fire model configuration of Catapult, mounting two PPCs in place of the LRMs of other Catapults. With two medium lasers for close-in fighting and a pair of machine guns for anti-infantry work, this mech sacrifices its jump jets for the heat sinks needed to power the main weapons. This makes the K2 the Catapult most similar to other heavy battlemechs in performance, though lacking the armor expected of a front-line fighter...which puts this mech still in the support mech catagory.

So, based on the above, what would we expect would be the perks and roles of the Catapult models:

CPLT-C1: Full 360 degree firing arcs on arm weapons, Indirect Fire capability, Multi-Range Targeting, Terrain Handling. Role: Average Indirect Fire Support

CPLT-A1: Full 360 degree firing arcs on arm weapons, Indirect Fire capability, Long Range Targeting, Terrain Handling. Role: Long-Duration Indirect Fire Support

CPLT-C4: Full 360 degree firing arcs on arm weapons, Indirect Fire capability, Long Range Targeting, Terrain Handling. Role: High-Impact Indirect Fire Support

CPLT-K2: Full 360 degree firing arcs on arm weapons, Multi Range Targetting. Role: Direct Fire Support.

At first glance, this list may seem a good idea to implement. However, when you actually put it into MWO, the following happens:

CPLT-C1: ECM prevents the battlemech from performing Indirect Fire, removing the primary reason this mech exists. The secondary Medium Lasers provide some combat ability, but not on the order of a Cataphract or Dragon. In addition, the combat engine does not support 360 degree firing arcs, but does allow for increased torso rotation. End result: A mech which is no better than a Jenner with a leg missing.

CPLT-A1: ECM prevents the battlemech from performing Indirect Fire, removing -all- reason for this mech to exist. End result: a mech that is in all effective ways unarmed and carrying around ammunition to be blown up.

CPLT-C4: ECM prevents the battlemech from performing Indirect Fire, removing ninety-five percent of this mech's ability to fight. The Small Lasers do negligible damage, but the mech lacks any speed to reach a range they can be effectively used. End result: a mech that is all but unarmed and carrying around ammunition to be blown up.

CPLT-K2: ECM prevents the battlemech from spotting targets at long range, forcing the unit into mid-to-close range fighting. PPCs lack the damage capabilties to be effective support weapons. Game engine prevents full 360 degree firing arc on arm weapons, but does allow for increased torso rotation. End result: The mech is mostly unchanged, but its abilty to fight lags behind other Heavy battlemechs in the game, lacking the speed of the Dragon or the weaponry and armor of the Cataphract.

As the above illustrates, the Catapult is largely unable to function both in its primary intended role and as a worthwhile battlemech in the environment of MWO in its established configurations. In addition, with only two other Heavy mech chassis, there is a lack of viable alternatives for a Catapult pilot to turn to in order to mitigate this problem. The only option is one built into MWO and the original game.

The customization system is the solution to both the artificial handicapping of a battlemech by combat environment bais and the limited number of chassis in MWO by allowing a mech to be modified into another battlemech type. By allowing for this, both the original game and MWO incorporate a feature that allows for multiple diversity in battlemechs without needing to delay the game for decades while they model, test, and release every model and type of battlemech in the original game. This permits a mech to be modified to changing conditions of the game which were never part of the original, and also the existing models to stand in for other models not included in the game.

However, this unavoidably rams right into those who believe a given battlemech 'shouldn't be able to do that'. Such players look at customized battlemechs through the lens of either the original, hundreds-of-mech-models-strong game or their own unimaginative views on what a given battlemech 'should' look like. At the same time, there are those who see a battlemech they believe should not be an effective weapon on the battlefield being one, and wish to knock it down simply because it threatens their own chosen 'mech's superiority.

Thus we come to the problem with 'Roles' and 'Perks'. The given roles in the game, as illustrated by the Catapult above but applicable to others in the game, are not presented in a balanced and reasoned way in MWO, and attempting to assign a role to a given mech when the game does not support that role will only lead to a crippled game, not an enhancement. At the same time, assigning perks on the basis of personal bais and a desire to hamper battlemechs for spite leads to simple resentment and abandonment of the playerbase's acceptance that they are being given a level playfield to compete.

A good example is the current crusades against the Catapults mounting AC/20s and SRMs. These are based on nothing more than players who believe the Catapult should not be allowed to have such weapons, ignoring the fact that the players themselves are responsible for the changes to MWO that have made what 'should be' on these mechs non-viable. Assuming you eliminate both of these possibilities, where does that leave the 'mech? Does it honestly match up to the Cataphract if it is limited to two SRMs, or just Machine Guns? Be honest now.

Thus, we come to the issue of customization, which is the real point of the supposed 'role' and 'perk' discussion. With the customization system, players already have the ability to configure their battlemechs for the roles that mech's chassis permits, and with full understanding of the changing environment forced onto them by the Devs. There is, therefore, no need to assign roles to battlemech chassis that even the Devs won't honor, and doing so has no tangible benefit to the game. Perks, likewise, are things that must be balanced against each other to prevent personal bais from installing abilities that are too profound, but at the same time, there is no real way to determine which battlemech should have which perk without a set of guidelines. Therefore, before stating what perks should go with what chassis, a system has so be established for what qualifies a battlemech for which perk. I haven't seen that yet, and the above wall of text should illustrate just how much has to be considered in doing so.

Lastly, I am personally quite disgusted with those who continue to disguise their personal crusades against individual battlemechs as anything but that, so I hope this discussion topic is not one of those.

#95 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Then... why use Battletech IP at all? If it all slims down to "I´d like to build my own mech from scratch" and "I don´t care what the original/intended role for the mech is. I want it to be effective in MY way of gameplay." there is no reason at all to use the IP.

From my point of view, the IP and the intended use of a mech should matter, because ignoring them means ignoring the tradition and the meaning of the game. Fluff DOES matter, not just for a minority, it matters for the die-hard enthusiast that can stick to a franchise for years and years to come.

Complete freedom over the design means that the original design, the history of the mech and thus the fluff doesn´t matter. And this... this is mechaquake.

I agree that modification should be possible, even to a certain extend. But like charakter building in a rpg, the intended role should serve as a framework to construct the mech. By seperating the weapons from the slots, expanding the span of possible engine ratings and freeing the mech from all restraints, we get the tools to create a new meta game within the mechlab. This meta boils down to DPS and ASD, leaving little creativity to the builder and even less possibilities to the development of gameplay or piloting skills.

Thus, modification needs smart restrictions. I´d like to see a system closer to the original BT mindset, where the weight and size of the system matters (but otherwise, a MG could replace a SL). I´d also include some balance (in the sense of: keeping balance/not falling over) to the meta.

#96 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Id say this, In table top the reason that the only difference between mech variants was weapon hard points and speed was basically because it was much much much harder to change out a LRM20 for a SRM6 because Battlemechs are meant to be more like tanks than re configurable war machines. To switch an LRM20 for an SRM6 you have to add extra filler armor or whatever to make up for the space you aren't using.

Given that when we translate to a videogame where we can change anything we wish to little quirks such as torso twist speed gives that individuality between mechs with similar weapon load outs.

#97 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

You currently are working with units that in some respects are BETTER than clan omni mechs. With omni units you can NOT change the engine. Period. You can not remove any weapons which are not mounted within the modular weapon pods. In MWO you can change everything. You are just limited by the hard points. That limitation, however, is minimal when you have units which are plenty capable of boating.

View PostStormwolf, on 07 February 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

We are pretty much driving proto-omni's at this point anyway.

I sometimes wish that community warfare would only have customization unlocked at planets with the correct facilities. It wouldn't be available for a time period of let's say 1 hour if you customized it in any fashion. It would show people the viability of omni designs.

Or alternately you could order your mech from the factory with the customizations you want (like in the Warrior Trilogy), the price should be way higher for both the purchase and repairs though.

To offset this, all those TRO 3025 designs should be sold cheaper at the merc market to make room for the TRO 3050 designs (the CN9-A was slowly phased out for the CN9-D in the lore).

Customization is possible, but people in MWO should be subjected to the same limitations as the characters in the lore. You really have to work towards goals, though sometimes you'll get a lucky break and get there a bit faster (plenty of mechs can be captured from a enemy faction).

MWO should be about the skill of how people handle themselves in the BT universe, not the ability to build a cheese build.

#98 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Posttopgun505, on 08 February 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

You currently are working with units that in some respects are BETTER than clan omni mechs. With omni units you can NOT change the engine. Period. You can not remove any weapons which are not mounted within the modular weapon pods. In MWO you can change everything. You are just limited by the hard points. That limitation, however, is minimal when you have units which are plenty capable of boating.

You do realize we were moding Mechs Before Omnis were introduced right? Yup Back before the Clans were introduced to the Public I was Modifying Atlas, and Marauders, Warhammers & Archers. I have no Idea why that would chance. What an Omni in canon can do is be salvaged, repaired and re armed in hours instead of day. Now since we don't have that that time mechanic we just have to pretend it takes longer to change my Mech and drop than it would a Omni.

#99 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

You could easily do this. Make a change to a mech and it cannot be used in the next x # of consequtive games you play where x = the complexity of the changes you wish to make. PGI would probably love this because then some players would buy more than 1 much of a given variant so that they could make changes to one and play with the other which = more mech slots needed which = more MC spent.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

You do realize we were moding Mechs Before Omnis were introduced right? Yup Back before the Clans were introduced to the Public I was Modifying Atlas, and Marauders, Warhammers & Archers. I have no Idea why that would chance. What an Omni in canon can do is be salvaged, repaired and re armed in hours instead of day. Now since we don't have that that time mechanic we just have to pretend it takes longer to change my Mech and drop than it would a Omni.

#100 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I (for one) wish we had to use the specific varients and had almost no customization. The hard points thing helps, but the open customization leads to boating and really we might as well just have "generic chassis" for each weight group.

I'm happy see that they are playing up "quirks" like rotation range and speed, but for the most part, any mech can fill about any roll right now. (With the obvious exception of the "Scout Atlas" and the "Assault Spider")

44 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 44 guests, 0 anonymous users