Poptarts!

343 replies to this topic

#101 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Because you're not fighting a computer opponent that knows where you are at all times... And if i'm not mistaken, you still have 10% they cant. Where there's a percent, there's a way.

yes, that's what your own lights are for.

#102 MacKoga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Want the ultimate anti-poptart strategy? Just think about how to win at the old NES classic, Duck Hunt:

#103 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

yes, that's what your own lights are for.

A couple Lights versus yours and the Mediums/Heavies/Assaults that are also hiding out there... i'm not a gambling man but i'd wager those Lights are in over their heads.

#104 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

A couple Lights versus yours and the Mediums/Heavies/Assaults that are also hiding out there... i'm not a gambling man but i'd wager those Lights are in over their heads.

Yea, because those assaults are just going to dash into the opposite team's base without anyone noticing. Those Atlases are gonna hide behind lamp posts and grass!

#105 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Tell you what, stop flapping yer lips and get an 8 man going.

#106 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Guys Guys Guys, you know we can't beat DrxAbstracts tactics and strategies. Just give up already.

#107 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostJyi, on 07 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Yea, because those assaults are just going to dash into the opposite team's base without anyone noticing. Those Atlases are gonna hide behind lamp posts and grass!

And trees... dont forget the trees.

The path to circumnavigating the jumpers is well covered nearly the entire route to them on every map but Caustic. Providing cover for your Lights up to and from that point is not impossible.

#108 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ah yes, you go the long way around, we'll sit on your base and snipe you as you turn around wondering what happened.

#109 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 07 February 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Guys Guys Guys, you know we can't beat DrxAbstracts tactics and strategies. Just give up already.

/shrug.

Are you uncomfortable discussing strategy? It's easy to sit around playing the 'My hypos beat your hypos' game but in reality has anything i've suggested proven unrealistic? For every strategy you think of, there is one if not more than one way to counter or compensate for it... unless you use nukes, nukes are bad.

#110 h00n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Poptarts are back?

Brb Jenner.

#111 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Yes, very unrealistic, everyone that's tried that 'strategy' has died 8-0

#112 Shard Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 303 posts
  • LocationPugsville, Pugistan.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I was set upon by a "Pop-tart" the other evening.

Figured out what his little game was and once that was out of the way.. He took more damage in our short exchange than I did.

Soon as I saw that Cataphract become visible as he floated up, I fired a gauss round where the rest of his mech would be by the time he and the projectile he had a date with would be at the appropriate time. Used the advantage that my shoulder mounted ballistic (FLAME) gave me over his arm mounted PPCs. By the time he could fire I had backed up behind cover.

After about four exchanges of that silliness I decided to just use my speed and the terrain to flank him. GG, Pop tart.

The moral of this story is that I agree with anyone that says "identify the threat and react accordingly"

Edited by Shard Phoenix, 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#113 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ah yes, you go the long way around, we'll sit on your base and snipe you as you turn around wondering what happened.

And the moment you leave your hill, the strategy you designed your team around to employ goes out the window and opens you up to the enemy.

But who said anything about sending the entire force, or that base capping was the intention? An awful lot of assumed conditions are required for your counter-arguments to hold any weight.

Fact is, not all of the map is visible from sniping positions - there are many holes. In order for this tactic to work, your team has to remain relatively stationary or spread out so you either create gaps in your offense or lose firepower concentration. While they're all sitting around looking for targets, what few mechs left covering your flanks will not withstand a coordinated strike from a numerically superior force quite possibly packing more tonnage, in turn more armor and weapons from a position that is relatively safe from your snipers. So you have to move to compensate, negating a good portion of the advantage the tactic has on covering the map which exposes you to engagements more aligned with your opponent's terms than your own.

But hey, let's make snide comments instead of discussing what the game this game is all about... completely acceptable.

#114 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

If you think a poptarting team is staying stationary then I can see why you beat them.

#115 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

/shrug.

Are you uncomfortable discussing strategy? It's easy to sit around playing the 'My hypos beat your hypos' game but in reality has anything i've suggested proven unrealistic? For every strategy you think of, there is one if not more than one way to counter or compensate for it... unless you use nukes, nukes are bad.

Ok, so realistically?

Say you have a composition of 2 lights, 2 mediums and 4 heavies/assaults.. If your lights have ECM and your mediums are Cicadas, they may make it to enemy base unnoticed. That would hurt a lot if the enemy was a poptart team. But your heavies and assaults making it to enemy base unnoticed? No way. They'll get noticed.

#116 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostSkinny Pete, on 07 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

This isn't MW4, mechs are slower and I don't see this being a pop-fest again. But GL to the teams that try to pop on us. :)
)

Posted Image

It was a good game though. Closest we've had for a long time.

Edited by Rippthrough, 07 February 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#117 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

If you think a poptarting team is staying stationary then I can see why you beat them.

You're definitely picking and choosing from my posts... try responding to the entirety, instead.

I didnt say they remained stationary, i said relatively stationary. I also said you would be moving constantly to compensate for your opponents, which negates some of the advantage, creates gaps or decreases the concentration of firepower. As well as stating it opens you up to fighting your opponent more on their terms than yours as your movements are controlled by what they choose to do, if you want to continue using the tactic.

#118 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Why would it negate the firepower of an alpha-striking direct fire mech? This ain't tabletop.

#119 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

It was a good game though. Closest we've had for a long time.

I'm curious, which map did you guys end up on and which side of the map?

Edit - just saw the map was frozen city.

Edited by Zylo, 07 February 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#120 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Jumpjets are even worse than before in my experience.

If I recall they increased the thrust by 30% and decreased the fuel capacity by 35 (5s to 3.25s)? So that would appear to be an overall nerf... Jumpjets need to be a lot better.

And really I dont think a two PPC, gauss, Cataphract is particularly scary... just get up in its face and kill it.

Edited by Khobai, 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users