Poptarts!

343 replies to this topic

#121 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

In my defense I found a K2 that match :)

Edited by Z0MBIE Y0SHI, 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#122 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostJyi, on 07 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Ok, so realistically?

Say you have a composition of 2 lights, 2 mediums and 4 heavies/assaults.. If your lights have ECM and your mediums are Cicadas, they may make it to enemy base unnoticed. That would hurt a lot if the enemy was a poptart team. But your heavies and assaults making it to enemy base unnoticed? No way. They'll get noticed.

Didnt say the base was the objective, or that anyone, including the Lights, was to reach it unnoticed. Your goal is to take advantage of the fact not all of their mechs are used in their strategy - they have a different purpose. This purpose is not nearly as much a juggernaut as the one of their snipers, and likewise easier to deal with as you can bring more of your team to counter that purpose and deal with that threat specifically. Once you remove those mechs from the field, you can change your strategy to one more suitable for taking out snipers.

I didnt say it was easy, it's all relative.

I'm also disappointed to see Wispsy outside his Jenner...

Edited by DrxAbstract, 07 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#123 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostZylo, on 07 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

I'm curious, which map did you guys end up on and which side of the map?

Edit - just saw the map was frozen city.

The old pug side.

#124 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Apart from you've exposed your lights to the snipers in order to try to LRM our lights. Gauss is a lot faster than LRM's. And cover does horrible things to LRM's...

View PostZ0MBIE Y0SHI, on 07 February 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

In my defense I found a K2 that match :)

In mine, I suck.

Edited by Rippthrough, 07 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#125 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

It was a good game though. Closest we've had for a long time.

Looks like it was a close and fun match, but it might be worth noting that six poptarts makes them all harder to single out than running only two, as you might in a 2-2-2-2 drop. Still, you guys did bring less tonnage.

#126 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostDom Cobb, on 07 February 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Set up a firing line at the ridge along your base, and let them come to you.
Or get a spotter and LRM their ***** into the ground.

Let them come to you?? I use mine with 2 ERPPC and gauss and when I jumpjet to get a higher vantage, my one shot will at the very least strip most armor. Thats 35 damage in one area which is just 5 short of what dual AC20 do. Why the hell would I come to you?

#127 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Apart from you've exposed your lights to the snipers in order to try to LRM our lights. Gauss is a lot faster than LRM's. And cover does horrible things to LRM's...

In mine, I suck.

You're assuming i'm referring to LRMs and TAG, which i did mention, but that was an 'lol i haz counterz' post. LRMing your lights, especially with TAG vs ECM, isnt a plausible idea. The only reason Ravens are dangerous at all are their SSRMs, which any Light can duck in and out for a quick Laser/SRM shot and be gone before the lock+fire is finished. And unless your Ravens want to chase them back around the hill/building/cave etc. and right into the waiting arms of their team, they wont have much choice other than using their own lasers or avoiding the situation altogether, limiting their usefulness and options.

#128 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Why would they chase them, if your ravens are TAGing me, I can shoot them in the face with PPC's + Guass. End of light.

#129 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Heh. I was using a CTF-3D with jump jets, 2 AC/10's, 2 medium pulse lasers, and a medium laser not long after the Cataphract came out. It can jump-snipe when needed and still bring the hurt close in, with none of that pesky minimum range BS.

#130 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Why would they chase them, if your ravens are TAGing me, I can shoot them in the face with PPC's + Guass. End of light.

Is it possible there's someone else on your 'team' with a bit more reading comprehension under their belt wants to discuss this? You're proving insufficient.

Fact is your entire strategy revolves around 2 ECM Lights. Once they're gone, so is your chance of living through the fight, much less winning. Ergo any strategy that takes them out while leaving the opposing team relatively unscathed will likely be successful, and there are a few of them. End of story. Theorize all you want, that's the skinny of it.

And why is Wispsy not in his Jenner...

#131 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Rockwolf has been doing it since the day the 3d arrived, it's just the flavour of the month to ***** about it today.

#132 Bounty Dogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Im guilty of recently Poptarting as well, I guess. Ive had my sniper build for a while, but recently transferred it from the 1x to the 3d, to see if JJs were better post patch. I love it though. before, I was going 64.8 kph with a standard 255 engine, ppc, erppc, gauss, 2 MLs, 11 heat sinks, and enough weapon grouping options to have a fire solution right up to 90% on the heat scale (thank you razor naga mouse!) With the changes to JJs, I can squeeze 2 JJs in for a loss of about 3.7 kph (down to a 240 standard) and those two JJs do just enough of what i need to make me happy with them.

Am I slow? hell yeah! But I keep maneuverabilty with JJs. Yup, I go up and come down along one angle, but if im doing it right, im also hitting you with either MLs or a gauss/erppc salvo, keeping you rattled. If im taking a beating, I circle strafe you til I get to cover I think I can get over, then JJ over that out of the enemy's fire arc, and disappear over the ledge. They chase, I fire on them as they come around. It works well.

That said, therev'e been PLENTY of times where I'm torn to pieces.

#133 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Is it possible there's someone else on your 'team' with a bit more reading comprehension under their belt wants to discuss this? You're proving insufficient.

Fact is your entire strategy revolves around 2 ECM Lights. Once they're gone, so is your chance of living through the fight, much less winning. Ergo any strategy that takes them out while leaving the opposing team relatively unscathed will likely be successful, and there are a few of them. End of story. Theorize all you want, that's the skinny of it.

And why is Wispsy not in his Jenner...

Err, YOUR strategy revolves around ECM lights, not mine. If I can see 80-90% of the map, without lights, and you're not in it, guess what?

I STILL KNOW WHERE YOU ARE.

And all those 'covered' area's you are going to rush - well, don't make me laugh, you go through the caves and 3 line on caustic and see what happens. You'll either get picked off or the other team will go straight over the top and cap you.

Edited by Rippthrough, 07 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#134 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostJokerVictor, on 07 February 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Well that's great to say, any suggestions? Like, what was your team running at the time?

Fight from a lower position. As a poptart its harder for them to see you visually when they are looking downward especially if its dark which its really easy to see them silhouetting against the sky. Its the same reason to fight someone who is cresting a ridge. You get a very clear view. Range is another issue but as mentioned you just have to use terrain to get inside your effective range. Anticipating well makes a difference too.

#135 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

So are we saying in this thread that poptarting is not fair?

#136 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

You see PopTarts I see sceet! :)

Have to misspell clay pidgeons!?!
Posted Image

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#137 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm actually quite shocked people are ONLY complaining about Jump Sniping now. Myself and countless others have been doing it since day one.

Arguably, it was BETTER when the Cataphract just came out when you only needed a single JJ to get the max JJ effectiveness, plus that was when Gauss Rifles didn't explode for some reason, so you could do 2gauss + Erppc with no issue.

Good times....

...did you know people STILL complain about Guass Catapults? Cataphracts have been dealing better, more sniper damage since their inception in this game. No idea why people still claim K2's are op or whatever. The new, 70t Cat is better in all aspects.

Edited by mwhighlander, 07 February 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#138 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Err, YOUR strategy revolves around ECM lights, not mine. If I can see 90% of the map, and you're not in it, guess what?

I STILL KNOW WHERE YOU ARE.

And all those 'covered' area's you are going to rush - well, don't make me laugh, you go through the caves and 3 line on caustic and see what happens. You'll either get picked off or the other team will go straight over the top and cap you.

Where did i say i would be using ECM Lights? I just said Lights on a team with LRMs and TAG... as a joke... that you still cant seem to get yourself around. ECM Lights would be a dead giveaway to their presence at all anyway. And currently, you're employing 2 ECM Ravens as Light Hunters and Missile Defense, because if they werent OP vs. other lights and in general you'd be using an ECM on a D-DC, so yes, you entire strategy teeters on your two ECM LIGHT mechs. Thus any strat that kills them, including hit and runs by other Lights, ECM or not, and the opposing team lives through with 1, perhaps 2 deaths, means your strat goes poof.

It's also difficult to 'rush' an area where there's no enemy... you mean Move To? Consequently, i'd imagine a 4 Light, 4 medium/heavy/assault setup would wreck your team. Theoretically, on paper, it will. When it comes to following through, well... player skill is something i cant factor.

#139 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Err, no, we're using two ravens just 'cause we've got guys that wanted to run them, they often cycle through jenners, etc, too. We also run with two DDC's, two cents, or nothing else at all. the strategy teeters on nothing.

Like I said, get yourself an 8 man together and we'll talk. Because you're not making any sense on here.

#140 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Making sense is not what i do.

You still havnt explained why Wispsy isnt using his Jenner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users