• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 07 February 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

The devs have stated the base system is in place

they also said the xp system was only a placeholder then tried to say that placeholder was the xp system....
when they say "the placeholder is all this is", Im starting to look at those comments with a jaundiced eye

#162 STRONG LIKE BEAR

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 07 February 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Then this is a temporary visual concern and less of a gameplay concern. If you recall (which you probably don't) The devs have stated the base system is in place and only a few of the variable weapon mount cannons are in place (arms on the Raven, energy mounts on the Cataphracts arms, and the K2's PPC cannons/laser lens').

The change will be made in time. Agile + Scrum development cycle means they have larger priorities atm and the changes will come in time.

//end derail topic

You stated that

"The difference is, you can target the weapon systems on Cataphracts.
You can't effectively target the weapon systems in the K2 magical machine gun ports."

--and then immediately reply that you do in fact have the skills to kill the K2's with ease. You are not making any sense. What is your complain then? I did not imply that you lacked any skills in 80's stompy space robuts. I am curious as to what your complain is exactly regarding K2's and ballistics. Unless you just want to keep making "flame warz" statements. Then, I guess go right on ahead.

1. [REDACTED].

K, now that that is out of the way..

The reason people still complain about the K2 as opposed to the Cataphract - "did you know people STILL complain about Guass Catapults? Cataphracts have been dealing better, more sniper damage since their inception in this game. No idea why people still claim K2's are op or whatever."

Your answer to this question is : " The difference is, you can target the weapon systems on Cataphracts.

You can't effectively target the weapon systems in the K2 magical machine gun ports.

That's why people complain. K2's aren't even a "problem" per se.. they are just an insult. "

Now, is that cleared up for you? Go ahead and make another post with alternating words in CAPS, also, bolding can help you make your point more forcefully.

Edited by Biruke, 08 February 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#163 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostSTRONG LIKE BEAR, on 07 February 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

You can't effectively target the weapon systems in the K2 magical machine gun ports.

Im guessing that and theyre usually the first guys that jump on the "you pay cor hs/dbl hs conversion every time cause youre paying labor costs" bandwagon.
Change out the heating system on an entire mech? OK
Change out machineguns to gauss rifles (but the art assets guys cant program the change so they look like mguns - but they ARE Gauss and not mgun ports, blame the art guys not the fact that the weapons have changed :)) NOT OK

since you suggested the bolding to help with your reading

#164 STRONG LIKE BEAR

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Your post is irrelevant

#165 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostSTRONG LIKE BEAR, on 07 February 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Your post is irrelevant

read "1" in your own post it apparently applies to you more than you think it does

#166 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostSTRONG LIKE BEAR, on 07 February 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

<General condescending hostile rambling>

Posted Image

#167 STRONG LIKE BEAR

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

You are entering a world of not just sight and sound but of mind.. A world whose boundaries are that of your own imagination..

That's the signpost up ahead.. Your next stop, The Twilight Zone!

Why are discussing a hypothetical future scenario where PGI has the K2 with heavy ballistics modeled properly?

Particularly in light of this post, by you no less.

" they also said the xp system was only a placeholder then tried to say that placeholder was the xp system....
when they say "the placeholder is all this is", Im starting to look at those comments with a jaundiced eye "

Please share

#168 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostSTRONG LIKE BEAR, on 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

You are entering a world of not just sight and sound but of mind.. A world whose boundaries are that of your own imagination..

That's the signpost up ahead.. Your next stop, The Twilight Zone!

Why are discussing a hypothetical future scenario where PGI has the K2 with heavy ballistics modeled properly?

Particularly in light of this post, by you no less.

" they also said the xp system was only a placeholder then tried to say that placeholder was the xp system....
when they say "the placeholder is all this is", Im starting to look at those comments with a jaundiced eye "

Please share

Create a topic on that subject and we shall discuss that there. This is a "poptart" thread (apparently?).

#169 CECILOFS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Try to get a spotter to get LOS and then nail them with indirect LRM fire.

#170 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostSTRONG LIKE BEAR, on 07 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

[REDACTED]

Nothing against mwhighlander, but this is a pretty epic pic

Edited by Biruke, 08 February 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#171 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMadwilly, on 07 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I was gonna say stop trolling my bros, but now I see you are just an arm chair general (who really is not making any sense what-so-ever in the slightest, did you ever play this game?).

And PGI, give us our dueling mechanic so we can make it happen =p

Wasnt aware providing tactical alternatives was trolling. Do you play on the floor? A stool perhaps? Otherwise, you're the just as much an armchair general as i am since, you know, you're not actually out fighting with the troops in a real mech.

As to whether or not ive played: Just over 2500 games since CB, the majority as a Jenner and all but 7 solo with pre-gateway failure W/L ratio of 2:1, KDR of 7.51 and 4273 kills. Not boasting, keeping track of pre-OB stats is to track my personal progress.

Edited by DrxAbstract, 08 February 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#172 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

As to whether or not ive played: Just over 2500 games since CB, the majority as a Jenner and all but 7 solo with per-gatewayfailure W/L ratio of 2:1, KDR of 7.51 and 4273 kills. No, keeping track of pre-OB statsor tracking my perso progressnal

Actual player skill growth is far more important than stats. My stats are quite similar, but bare in mind that they will be wiped clean when the new stat trackers go live in the next month or so. Will be fun to play with others like you in the new match maker to see how good we really are.

#173 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Eh, I think the damage output is too lacking, since you're wasting a lot of time just finding spots to jump from, then wastnig time on going up and down. The 3D has TWO large ballistic hardpoints and FOUR energy hardpoints. If you fill each one, it's a ******** beast.

#174 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Amazing derail job fellas. Just amazing.

#175 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 07 February 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Actual player skill growth is far more important than stats. My stats are quite similar, but bare in mind that they will be wiped clean when the new stat trackers go live in the next month or so. Will be fun to play with others like you in the new match maker to see how good we really are.

The stat tracker is life since the Feb 5th. patch. The stats will be reset when (if) the achievement system goes online. This is most likely soon™.

You do not need to thank me for providing that information.

On topic:

The 3D is a fine mech, but it is a bad poptarding sniper, because most of its weapon mounts are very low. Only the side torso energy slots are mounted high enough to be really usefull for poptarding. The game needs more jj-capable mechs.

The most easy counter to poptarding 3Ds thus are large lasers, because they are hitscan and allow for very fast aiming and guaranteed damage. Pop them in the air, the jump trajectory in MWO is very easy to predict. The most effective counter is getting into close range, but there always is the danger that the 3Ds are covered by a A1 or K2.

#176 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

View Postthemoob, on 07 February 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Eh, I think the damage output is too lacking, since you're wasting a lot of time just finding spots to jump from, then wastnig time on going up and down. The 3D has TWO large ballistic hardpoints and FOUR energy hardpoints. If you fill each one, it's a ******** beast.

35 damage pin point Alpha's lacking? Considering you can pop up every five seconds and often take minimal damage if you're smart about not popping up in the same place more than two or three times, it may have a lower alpha but the damage it can lay into an enemy while receiving much less in return. That's however it playing on it's own terms. I have another Cataphract set up I love, however the gauss ammo is fleeting and if my team hasn't pulled their weight, well four medium lasers are good, but they're not too great.

#177 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostDrBlue62, on 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

35 damage pin point Alpha's lacking? Considering you can pop up every five seconds and often take minimal damage if you're smart about not popping up in the same place more than two or three times, it may have a lower alpha but the damage it can lay into an enemy while receiving much less in return. That's however it playing on it's own terms. I have another Cataphract set up I love, however the gauss ammo is fleeting and if my team hasn't pulled their weight, well four medium lasers are good, but they're not too great.

My 3D has a 50 damage pin point alpha AND defence against light mechs (which is lacking with PPCs and a guass).

Of course it depends on playstyle, but I personally feel if you ditch the JJs and throw more weapons in you'll effect the game more, the Cataphract is too much of a beast to be wasted with JJs.

#178 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Personally I use one ER ppc, combined with the gauss the only way I am ever going to have problems with a light mech is if I keep missing....no matter how close they are.

#179 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

I tried out one.
2x PPCs
2x arm ML
1x arm Gauss
3Ton gauss ammo
XL 280 engine
13 DHS
3 Jumpjets

Verdict: my aim needs to improve. Also the number of places where you can jump-snipe on each map is somewhat limited. Your team needs to be willing to sit and wait as well near to one of the right locations, if they rush in you're not going to be more help than a normal sniper.
Worked best on Frozen City and Caustic, though PPC sniping with a Phract/stalker w/o jumps works well on caustic as well, due to low profile, not sure jumps needed.
3 Jumps seemed a bit light, but couldn't fit 4 and still have the MLs for anti-light defense.

Really I can see it being useful with your team willing to wait while you jump and snipe people, but mostly I just ended up last one alive while my team got picked apart.

I did find that if you use your jumps in open ground it'll help throw off the aim of anyone counter sniping you, that saved me a few times on forest colony water.

Also careful with any nerf to firing while jumping, that's one of the biggest strength of many light mechs (spider, ravens).

Edited by One Medic Army, 08 February 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#180 Cuthbert Allgood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Survey seems to point toward "Poptarting" is not a big deal in MWO. And though I tend to agree, I still remember how ridiculous mw4 was with it. Though even there it was not impossible to deal with, it really did degrade the game down pretty low. I would propose a hypothetical fix if "poptarting" was to get out of hand, or just to put a more realistic twang to things. I wouldn't think that weapon fire would even be something that could take place while lifting 20-100 tons of stompy robot off the ground with giant jet engines throwing you up there.

Bottom line: Disable weapon fire during jumping, put them back into the equivalent in "TT" as a movement phase, not firing.
But before you light me up with anger or hate...lol I really don't care either way, just rolling out a possible fix. :)

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users