How does this compare to Hawken?

24 replies to this topic

#21 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

If wasn't sick of the average-overdone fast-paced FPS then I would be playing this and Hawken.

Honestly though, I'm sick of all the Call of Duties and Halos and I just want them gone for a while, so I'm going to stick with MechWarrior.

#22 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'm monitoring the 2 games closely, but for different reasons :

MWO : Waiting for giant robots simulation, strategy meetings before the game and tactics adaptation during the game with a military-type structure between players (commanding officer, specialized soldiers, etc). Plus joining a clan to ease all that and fanboying the BT universe like a little girl with her barbie

Hawken : Giant robots pounding on each other Unreal-style ! Good as well but not as deep as the afore-mentioned game. It looks really good still, I'm just concerned it ends up EXACTLY like WoT, with different tiers of robots and no possible customization (you only carry the last weapon you unlock since it's the best one).

But one thing is sure : we'll all get our giant-robot fix this year ! And that can only be good :)

#23 Zearoth

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'd say I'll be playing both. I like both simulation and a good fast pace bloody mess. Controlled chaos, on the spot tactics, etc... So games like Hawken will be enjoyed greatly, by me anyway. So will MW: O since it offers a nice bit of realism. Something that can really get into the tactics side of thing where weapon permutations, flashy armour and a handful of nades won't set you on top. So for me, I think Hawken won't really compare to this game how you'd htink. And I'd play them like RPG and RTS. Different games to feed into different likes.

#24 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

I must say that Hawken certainly does have a sexy cockpit HUD. Unfortunately, I got motion sickness watching the gameplay video. Still, I'll give it a try, since it'll be f2p and all. I really hope there's going to be more to it than the standard FPS gameplay it looks like it's going to have.

#25 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hawken looks like a dumbed down version of Armored Core 4&5 (with internal view)

Im not saying it'll be a bad game, but I'm saying I wasn't impressed with Armored Core and the Japanese video game industry's obsession with faster games i.e. Complete this level in 30 seconds to get 6 platinum rainbow stars, moar combos=moar points, ridiculously horrible dialogue, emphasis on cut-scenes and incoherent plots, and brutally punishing difficulty levels OR insanely easy after you find the right button mash/combo, or in Armored Core's case the right mecha design. but I digress.....

Hawken looks like it'll be a solid game, however I have no interest in it, and have my eye set on Mechwarrior Online. I'm not a fan of giant lumbering looking robots that have jet engines and dont use their legs. if it has legs why is it jetting around? if thats easier then make its a hover tank or a jet. just sayin.

I'll stick with my brawling, hulking, walking monstrosities of death from battletech for now.

and yes I'm aware Hawken isn't Japanese

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 30 May 2012 - 12:41 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users