Let there be PONY!

9227 replies to this topic

#4881 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Random thought...end of season two, changeling says, "my people are hungry for love, they need love to survive, your people have more then enough love to share, and are known for your tolerance"...ponies say, "oh your hungry are you?, here have a nice warm bowl of GENOCIDE!"...just saying...

Edited by CandidAstrius, 04 July 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#4882 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Just noticed that the thread on Halloween.

POST MORE NIGHTMARE NIGHT.

Posted Image

#4883 yngvef

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThe planet Bardu

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostCandidAstrius, on 04 July 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Random thought...end of season two, changeling says, "my people are hungry for love, they need love to survive, your people have more then enough love to share, and are known for your tolerance"...ponies say, "oh your hungry are you?, here have a nice warm bowl of GENOCIDE!"...just saying...

Well, if the changelings had arrived and behaved nicely they might have been loved and tolerated, but they trapped the beautiful princess in the dungeons, hypnotized Twi's brother, kicked Celestias a** and trapped a lot of ponies with green goo. That's not very "neighbourly" of them. Even a pony's love has limits :)

#4884 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postyngvef, on 04 July 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Well, if the changelings had arrived and behaved nicely they might have been loved and tolerated, but they trapped the beautiful princess in the dungeons, hypnotized Twi's brother, kicked Celestias a** and trapped a lot of ponies with green goo. That's not very "neighbourly" of them. Even a pony's love has limits :)

It seems to me that the victors write the histories, how can we be sure that's what really went down? and even so, Luna got a second chance and is now the beloved ruler of the night...

#4885 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Changeling genocide is no big thing, they're not really ponies anyway. They're more like insects. Besides, they have wings, so getting blasted out of a city at the speed of sound probably isn't fatal. Also, remember what you're talking about here:

Posted Image

#4886 Fryulator

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

#4887 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

LOOOOVE MEEEEEE!

Posted Image

#4888 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Changelings are xenos scum. Allying, or portraying with them positively at all...

Posted Image

#4889 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hon. Mechwarriors;

Love and Justice. That's where your nice fresh warm bowl of genocide comes from. There is a virtuous ballance between impersonal love for all and holding others to the consequences for thier use of volition. In time of war, and the episode in question was certainly the depiction of a war, the patriot must slay the just and the unjust in the enemies colours. The survivors who were overcome were effectively exiled instead of killed, and that was a very stupid thing to do. Grace and tolerance for the imperfect soul does not extend to eternity. In a very scarcity driven economy and society depicted by the show, every changling in equestria should have been put to the sword. To do otherwise is the height of folly, not tollerance as this bit of history has shown.

Posted Image

The following headlines appeared in the French newspaper Moniteur in March of 1815. These banners announced Napoleon’s return from Elba to Paris. What do they tell you about the return of Napoleon?

March 9 The Monster has escaped from his place of banishment.
March 10 The Corsican Orge has landed at Cape Juan
March 11 TheTiger has shown himself at Gap. The Troops are advancing on all sides to arrest his progress. He will conclude his miserable adventure by becoming a wanderer among the mountains.
March 12 The Monster has actually advanced as far as Grenoble
March 13 The Tyrant is now at Lyon. Fear and Terror seized all at his appearance.
March 18 The Usurper has ventured to approach to within 60 hours’ march of the capital.
March 19 Bonaparte is advancing by forced marches, but it is impossible he can reach Paris.
March 20 Napoleon will arrive under the walls of Paris tomorrow.
March 21 The Emperor Napoleon is at Fountainbleau
March 22 Yesteday evening His Majesty the Emperor made his public entry and arrived at the Tuileries. Nothing can exceed the universal joy.

There will be more Changeling mischief in the future shows, count on it. Every sorrow, life taken, and treasure wasted in the next war will be the bloody handed actions of Celestia for not doing her duty.

Respectfully

Samaritan

#4890 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 04 July 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

There will be more Changeling mischief in the future shows, count on it. Every sorrow, life taken, and treasure wasted in the next war will be the bloody handed actions of Celestia for not doing her duty.

You've been reading too many grimdark fanfics. Ponies never die. Never have, never will, and THAT you can count on. It's a show for little girls, lest we forget.

#4891 MechaDraco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationEqustria

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 04 July 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

thats what they get for letting her make that kind of decision and not Luna, she would of made the right choice hehe

#4892 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostJace Nevada, on 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

You've been reading too many grimdark fanfics. Ponies never die. Never have, never will, and THAT you can count on. It's a show for little girls, lest we forget.

At this point... it is simply, a show. This has trancended the 'for little girls' moniker quite some time ago.As do many things Lauren Faust touches. The Iron Giant, Power Puff Girls, Fosters Home... Super Best Friends Forever...

Lauren Faust may set out to make a show for little girls, but she always seems to trancend that stereotype, the sad thing is people that refuse to see that.

Edited by Jade Kitsune, 04 July 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#4893 Proxus571

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPonyville

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostJace Nevada, on 04 July 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Not true, we see a pony funeral in one of the episodes. Pony Death is canon...

#4894 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hon. Jace Nevada;

As I have read "Fallout Equestria" which is a delicious 608K word book, I suppose I have more MLP grimdark than MLP FIM in my frame of reference. As near as I can tell, the entire changeling contingent in Equestria were soldiers. Presumbably, there are others elsewhere subsisting on who knows whom as a part of thier civil society. I have not advocated thier annihilation. The peace of a sin infested world is kept by establishment respect for force of arms. As the nations societies turn upon the wheel of civilisation, these countries wax, wain, and perish. The virtue of a multitude of soveriegn nations is that they don't all occupy the same position in this cycle simultaneously, and so people continue to presist.

The more I watch MLP FIM, the more I am convinced that this is not a child's show, certainly as you have suggested, the fanfics are not. It does have a refreshing emphasis on moral excelence as a worthy goal to strive for, something missing from many adult offerings. That being said, I saw an opportunity to champion the honorable institution of war and took it. As someone famous once said "We gain from war all that we should have lost without it."

Posted Image

Chrsalyso Delenda Est

Samaritan

Edited by Samaritan, 04 July 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#4895 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 04 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

As I have read "Fallout Equestria" which is a thinly-veiled 608K word clopfic

Fixed that for you. Let's just call it what it is instead of beating around the bush.

The more I watch MLP FIM, the more I am convinced that this is not a child's show, certainly as you have suggested, the fanfics are not.

Just because the fanfics are overwhelmingly creepy and crappy doesn't mean the show is. Just because they're not for children doesn't mean the show isn't for children. I mean be honest here, do you seriously believe you're part of Hasbro's target demographic? If so, I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not trying to say the show isn't good, or that it's not okay for adults to watch it. But at the end of the day it's a show targetted at children, and it's going to follow the rules that kids' shows have to. That's all there is to it.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 04 July 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#4896 Stalephreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 295 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

So this is what forms the Eridian Light Horse Brigade? Smoke Jaguar beaten by ponies on Tranquil.... I weep for their lost clan honor.

#4897 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Jace, I will admit there's a LOT of thinnly-veiled clopfic material in FoE (and Project Horizons...ESPECIALLY Project Horizons...) but honestly I read it through and through and theres so much more to it that to narrow it down into such a short-sighted genre is a mistake. The book had many well-thoughtout elements to it, combining grim realities of our world with Equestria, and tying in and essentially creating from scratch all of the necessary functions to make the story, well, work. Enemy states, a realistic reason for war (which is expanded in PH) apolocalyptic theory, war itself, PTSD and the many forms it takes, friendship, romance, guilt, etc. Without this the book wouldn't have nearly been as good as it was, and in the end the main character didn't "win", because by all accounts she became a shut-in, ruling the known world from an airborn tower.

So yes, I won't deny the clopfic-ness in several of the chapters. It's there...and perhaps some of the best parts are when it's NOT thinnly veiled and the author comes right out with it. (some of the radio brodcasts were funny as hell) Could it have gone lighter on it? Yes, I think it could...but I also think that, as intended, it added a lot of "humanity" to the story itself.

Bottom line, take it as you will.

#4898 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hon. Jace Nevada;

Thank you. That was great!

I suppose internet forum's and the different lives we all live make it hard to share perspectives clearly. Fallout Equestria was a great crossover that combined my own happy experiences playing fallout with the epic tale of the likeable and flawed Lilpip and her band of likeable and flawed heros. I had not realized it was a clopflic, and the wonderful editorial services of Equestria Daily didn't protray it as such. Oh well. Perhaps the rumored fight between Hasbro and the writting team has something to do with target audience desired and audience reached. Kids can certainly watch it and enjoy it. They could do the same for Iron Giant, and that was an entertaining film for grown ups too. Oh well. I love the military and wisdom, unfortunately I see a world with little respect for either heading for a hard lesson in both. This passion might be creeping into my posts, so please don't be offended.

Respectfully

Samaritan

#4899 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 04 July 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

I love the military and wisdom, unfortunately I see a world with little respect for either heading for a hard lesson in both.

It's funny you say that as a fan of Fallout, when Fallout is a kind of hyperbolic example of just what the military is capable of. Genocide and mass destruction, subjects you've brought up more than once, are exactly the kind of reasons a lot of people don't have much respect for the military.

Kids can certainly watch it and enjoy it. They could do the same for Iron Giant, and that was an entertaining film for grown ups too.

The Iron Giant was great, and the fact it was made as a sort of innocent kids' movie is part of why it was good. I doubt it would have been nearly as good of a movie if it had been loaded down with a bunch of out-of-place violence, gore, and sexuality. It's the same thing with MLP.

That kind of stuff just isn't part of the canon universe, no matter how much anyone wants it to be. Sure, you can overanalyze the hell out of the show and pretend there's some kind of hidden subtext, but when it gets right down to it all that stuff exists nowhere except in fans' heads. And that's fine, if that's the kind of stuff you like, good for you. But the entire internet doesn't necessarily want to hear about the fandom's violent/sexual fantasies all the time, and nor do a lot of fans of the show like me.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 04 July 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#4900 Proxus571

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPonyville

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Just because a show is a kids show, does not mean it's devoid of content for adults as well...

How many 12 year old girls even know who Q is?

or these guys :

Posted Image

Try not to think of it as a kids show but a Rated E for everyone show.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users