Let there be PONY!

9227 replies to this topic

#9061 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostEgomane, on 05 November 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Now that some time has passed, who watched Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks and stayed until he or she saw this

*raises hand*

Though one MLPG drawfriend did correct about the only thing wrong with that scene:
Posted Image

Also, I did try out the online reproduction of the game when it first started (not the board game simulator one) and having any sort of background in MtG helps greatly. Just make sure you know those few 'edge' rules as quite a few games were decided by wrongly interpreted rules of some cards back in the day. Troublemakers have a massive impact on the game as well as exhaust cards. Be carefuly around them. Mono-decking is not really a "competitive" option and the cards are mostly assembled out of few MtG colors, anyway. Lastly, most Mane abillities are worth turning over ASAP (and, of course, preventing the same from happening on your opponents side for as long as possible)... those that aren't shouldn' be taken in the first place.

And the most important of all...
Spoiler

#9062 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostEgomane, on 05 November 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Now that some time has passed, who watched Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks and stayed until he or she saw this

Spoiler

And... as I recently aquired three starter decks for it...
Who has played the MLP - FiM trading card game? How does the gameplay feel? What do I need to look out for when creating my own decks?

Yup, saw the after credit bonus scene too.

I have been play MLP TCG casually with my group.
Running an ApplePie beatdown deck.
If you are familiar with Magic:the Gathering or Decipher's Lord of the Rings TCG, MLP should feel very familiar.

The basic idea of the game is to solve problems to gain score, first player to reach 15 score wins the game.
Problem cards are like goals, usually a scene from the show, meet the requirement to solve it and you gain the score listed on the card.
Friends card are your characters, you place them on problem to solve it.
Mane Six card are special pony cards, they have their own requirement and ability. Fulfil their requirement and you can flip them over to their more powerful version, like Vanguard or Planeswalker card in MtG.
Trouble maker cards are evil character that you play on problem to stop/slowdown your opponent from solving the problem. Defeating a trouble maker will also give you score.
Accessory cards are like equipments, you put on your pony to give them a bonus.
Resource card are like artefact in MtG, items that can be trigger for abilities.
Event card are one time use card, like instant or socery in MtG:.

You can check the wikia page for card list, tutorial and strategy.
http://mlpccg.wikia...._Card_Game_Wiki

Here are my foil cards
Posted Image

Heart's Desire is a clever nod to MtG's Black Lotus
Posted Image

Edited by xengk, 06 November 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#9063 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thank you so far!

Though I'm not looking for rule explanations, but for deck construction tips. :)

The rules are easy enough to understand (I played a few CCGs before, like the Decipher Star Wars CCG, M:TG, Shadowrun and a few more). I'd like to know which cards to look out for, how to best compose the deck in approximate percentage of Friends to Ressource/Accessory cards and other more detailed help. What strategies are there and what proved to be good or an utter failure?

So far I'm limited to the three starters of the basic set, but I'm willing to expand if need be, so don't limit yourself to this.

The hardest part about this game, will be to find someone to play it with. I know that my local gaming store is selling them and others are buying, but no one is admitting to it yet.

#9064 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostEgomane, on 06 November 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Thank you so far!

Though I'm not looking for rule explanations, but for deck construction tips. :)

The rules are easy enough to understand (I played a few CCGs before, like the Decipher Star Wars CCG, M:TG, Shadowrun and a few more). I'd like to know which cards to look out for, how to best compose the deck in approximate percentage of Friends to Ressource/Accessory cards and other more detailed help. What strategies are there and what proved to be good or an utter failure?

So far I'm limited to the three starters of the basic set, but I'm willing to expand if need be, so don't limit yourself to this.

The hardest part about this game, will be to find someone to play it with. I know that my local gaming store is selling them and others are buying, but no one is admitting to it yet.

MLP TCG is a relatively fast game compare to MtG and VS, a game usually end in under 20 turn so tempo is very important. Ideally, you should be dropping a new friend every turn.
You might be familiar with the idea of mana curve?
Have the bulk of your cards around the cost of 3 to 5, with a pool of 1 and 2 cost card to make sure you don't end up with a screwed hand/muligen often. Top it off with a few high cost finisher.

The minimum deck size is 45 cards draw deck, plus a problem deck of 10 problem cards.
Everyone have their formulae, personally I like to dedicate at least 15 card to friends and fill the rest with event and resource, also always packing at least 2 yellow parasprite and wild manticore trouble maker each, with a queen chrysalis or ahuizotl.
Event and resource are good quick fixes but they are also useful for another reason, they tend to have high power number; in the range of 3 to 6. You need this during faceoff with opponent's trouble maker or ponies.

My ApplePie beatdown deck is played aggressively to overpower a problem or force a faceoff.
My deck build up is 20 Friend, 13 Event, 7 Resource, 5 Trouble Maker, 1 Mane Applejack.

MtG flavour-wise, Pinkie is Blue/Black (weird ability and creature removal), AJ is Green/Red (fatties and hand removal), Fluttershy is White/Green (weenie and creature manipulation), Rarity is Blue/White (tutor and board control), Rainbow is Blue/Green (small flyers and creature manipulation), Twilight is Blue/Red (board control and fatties).
You can build your deck around the ability you want; my deck is fatty + creature/hand removal. Most deck involves 2 characters, there are a few tri-colour deck and I have seen 6 colour shenanigans too.
So far I haven't notice any meta or strong combo in the game yet, but then my playgroup is rather small.

Does your store have a notice/news board?
Try asking permission from the owner to post up a player group search, have them contact you via email or sms. That is how I found my d20 modern RP group.

#9065 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thanks a lot! :)

The shop does have a message board. Like I said... so far no one admits to playing it. ;)

#9066 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostEgomane, on 06 November 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

... so far no one admits to playing it. ;)

Wussies... :D

Spoiler

#9067 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostAdridos, on 07 November 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Spoiler

Posted Image

#9068 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

because why not?

#9069 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

Oh no... not again!

Posted Image

#9070 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

Dethklok with ponies can be a leeetle disturbing. In the good way.

#9071 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image

#9072 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

You guys might want to check out one of the current Humblebundles going on at the moment (nearly 14 days running)

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

now after that... I beleive I have to politely leave and start unseeing the seen. Enjoy guys (if you dont already have the comics)

#9073 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 26 November 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

You guys might want to check out one of the current Humblebundles going on at the moment (nearly 14 days running)

now after that... I beleive I have to politely leave and start unseeing the seen. Enjoy guys (if you dont already have the comics)

Dammit! I just brought the mirror arc compilation issue on monday.

#9074 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 26 November 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

That's a nice offering. To bad my local comic store is already importing them for me. Oh my... it's for a good cause... guess I'll have to get them as electronic issues as well. I simply can't resist doing good, when there is something involved that I like!

And don't worry about unseeing something. Once you have seen the greatness that is Pony, you will never want to forget it again. ;)

#9075 Stalephreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 295 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

I've got a bunch of CCG cards that I'm willing to trade off... pm me, and we can always compare.

I play a rarity/twilight deck, but nobody around me plays.

#9076 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm not collecting (yet). For now I just want to play a game or two before I decide to invest more.

I'll thank you for the offer though and I'll remember if I should decide to start collecting.

Edited by Egomane, 28 November 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#9077 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:54 AM

Gifs for the gif throne and all that... ;)

Posted Image

#9078 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostAdridos, on 01 December 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Gifs for the gif throne and all that... ;)

Posted Image

Best Pony is made of Best and Pony.

#9079 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

Totally scientific computer model I got from some bros I totally know for realz at NASA, who totally scienced-up this high-definition model of what happens when You mix "best" and "pony" in equal amounts.
I totally didn't just doddle this after reading a comment on a website... That would be weird, and mean I'm some kind of lifeless loser...

#9080 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 01 December 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Wait, pal, that chart implies pony and best are not one and the same and that every pony isn't the best pony... :ph34r:
The question is simple, then.
Spoiler

Posted Image

Oh, and one more magical gif:

Posted Image

Edited by Adridos, 01 December 2014 - 01:08 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users