9227 replies to this topic

#5441 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostZendric, on 16 July 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

While I am not quite sure about the banning, early posts in this thread by mods have established that such actions are not tolerated.

Brony, I gotta say it if i haven't before, I love your signature.

probably posted before but still
Posted Image

#5442 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thats a shame, here I was thinking murderers, rapists, drug lords, warlords, and sociopaths should go first if anyone NEEDS to die.
EDIT:
But then again, I suppose people who raise money for charity, create art, and measure manhood by ones works, contribution, and worth to society instead of the amount of damage and pain they inflict for the sake of not being seen as weak are clearly the worst scum in the world.
Clearly the sands should run red with pony blood.
Jackass.

Edited by Souske Sagara, 16 July 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#5443 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

oh noz, another troll, quick deploy the synthetic hug dispensers...
Posted Image

#5444 Mechwarrior Of Rock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationERROR 404

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Come on. Can't we all get along. For Science... you monster. (You just had to through GLaDOS in there didn't you Wolf?)
Anyway I know this was like 50 pages back but... I can't stand mare/mare or colt/colt shipping. For reasons I will not explain that it just that to me. JUST ME OK don't flame me please.. Please? Anyway. ROCK ON BRONIES!

#5445 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm fine so long as nobody says I should die for something shy of the things I listed above. People throw death around too damned liberally.

#5446 Kasai Oni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCape Cod

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Wow, I lose the stability of my internet for a couple of weeks, and look what you guys do: we almost have another hundred pages here!

View PostCaptain Wolfus Maximus, on 16 July 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Come on. Can't we all get along. For Science... you monster. (You just had to through GLaDOS in there didn't you Wolf?)
Anyway I know this was like 50 pages back but... I can't stand mare/mare or colt/colt shipping. For reasons I will not explain that it just that to me. JUST ME OK don't flame me please.. Please? Anyway. ROCK ON BRONIES!

To each their own. I don't care one way or another on what couples people put together, as long as they make a cute couple I think it's adorable. If I were to get scientific about it though, going with the information that there is likely an 85%/15% split between the female and male populations (based on the numbers of each represented in the show), mare/mare and poly-amorous/polygamous relationships would probably be the norm; with colt/colt relationships being generally unheard of and taking a male for yourself would be considered selfish as it would dramatically reduce the gene pool and threaten the survivability of society. I always imagine it being sort of like Blackjack's Stable - except without the whole "queue" thing.

Anyways, enough theoretical society talk - I have not yet hit my daily recommended dose of ponies and pony related supplements!

#5447 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

its fine not to like things. you made your statement and you weren't a dick about it, you didn't try to say other people couldn't like it, i see no reason to set you ablaze at all.

#5448 Zendric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostApplejack, on 16 July 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Brony, I gotta say it if i haven't before, I love your signature.

Thank you! I've been thinking about switching it out with a new one I made, but we'll have to see.

#5449 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

I can't stand mare/mare or colt/colt shipping. For reasons I will not explain that it just that to me. JUST ME OK don't flame me please.. Please? Anyway. ROCK ON BRONIES!

But... there's a 15% male population and a matriarchy... Women are the main gender in the Equestrian society... it would only make SENSE that most of the couples are mare/mare... Colts would be rare together... Still it could happen.

I'm not going to flame you it's just, expecting NO homosexuality in a world where the male population is 15% [possibly closer to 25 but it's definately not near an even split] is being just, well frankly... closed minded and unrealistic.

pic unrelated

Posted Image

#5450 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 17 July 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

But... there's a 15% male population and a matriarchy... Women are the main gender in the Equestrian society... it would only make SENSE that most of the couples are mare/mare... Colts would be rare together... Still it could happen.

I'm not going to flame you it's just, expecting NO homosexuality in a world where the male population is 15% [possibly closer to 25 but it's definately not near an even split] is being just, well frankly... closed minded and unrealistic.

No offense, but I think you're kinda missing the point this time.
I'm not implying that your argument doesn't make sense, and I could start over by saying, that what you see on screen doesn't have to reflect the truth or, that in my eyes, the elemental flaw with discussing equestrian society, is the attempt to apply human standards to the society of a completely different species.
You cannot characterize someone when disregarding their sexuality, but I don't think you can properly discuss someone's sexuality when disregarding their species. It is something that Bioware took into account with Mass Effect. Every species (except the Turians for some reason (or I just forgot about it)) has unique mating habits, which are hardly relate-able to those of humans (at least in modern western society).
That said, ponies aren't humans either. They may have human traits, and do the same things we do (in the show), so abstract thinking (because the human is a creature capable of that) leads us to associate with them, and we assume that they are like us in every way, even if it's not explicitly depicted in the show. What people fail to realize is, that what we actually see in the show, hardly tells us anything about the mating habits of that particular species. All we know is that: colt + mare = babies eventually and I don't think we needed the show to understand that. We don't know if they have sex just for fun without the intent to make babies, how often they do it, or how often they change their partners, or if at all...
Now I'm no expert on pony (the real ones) mating habits, but I know enough to say that they are unequal to human mating habits.
For all we know, the mating habits of Equestrians could be akin to Bees where only a select few get to mate at all with the largest portion of the population being female workers and a few male drones whose only justification for existing at all is, to have sex.
That would also explain the 85% to 15% split in society.

Hey everyone, I figured it out!!! Equestrian society works like a bee-colony, you can all stop making homoerotic shipfics now! :P

Now, seriously though, what I'm saying is, that all of the talk about pony-sexuality is purely based on assumptions, and first and foremost on the assumption, that it works for a pony-society just the way it does for a human-society.

In the end, you're free to think whatever you want.
If you chose to believe, that pony-society follows the same rules and patterns that human society does, then you can argue the way you do.
If you chose to believe in my bee-colony-theory, then the whole discussion is obsolete...

Either way, even though it makes sense for you and a lot of other people and I highly doubt that the bee-colony-theory will ever prevail, you gotta grant others the freedom of not wanting to think about it.
I enjoy the show as is and even though I'm discussing it with you, I couldn't really care less for this topic when actually watching the show.
I have absolutely nothing against homosexual people, but by not wanting to read a "****-lovestory", I'm not denying their existence, I just don't care that such things exist in the first place (for as long as I don't have to deal with it). Which is what I think was wht the Captain wanted to say...

Sry, I think I got a little sidetracked there...

I actually intented to reply to the season2-finale-post buuuuut............... this already is a huge post and I don't think I have enough brain capacity and more importantly patience left to extend on it... at least not at the moment...

yeah, I'm slow with writing these huge posts, because I need to think about what I wanna say and how to... and blah.. blih ... bluh...................... leave me alone!!!!! :P
God, I'd rather discuss that stuff in person because then I wouldn't have to think half as much about what I'm gonna say...
sry, it's kinda exhausting lol :P

#5451 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Needs moar Meme ponies.

Posted Image

#5452 Chainmail

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 14 July 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I believe it was said on page one that MLP holds the internet together... we now have proof...!!!!

Posted Image

Headphones, then Droid, then computer. Looks like I'm some sort of technological pony, and that's A-OK with me.

#5453 Margali

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostSouske Sagara, on 16 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'm fine so long as nobody says I should die for something shy of the things I listed above. People throw death around too damned liberally.

Amen.
Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book Four, Chapter One
British scholar & fantasy novelist (1892 - 1973)

Edited by Margali, 17 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#5454 Margali

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

And, regarding Pony sexuality:

It's like with anime; Just enjoy the story and don't worry about the details.

#5455 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostSesambrot, on 17 July 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

I actually intented to reply to the season2-finale-post buuuuut............... this already is a huge post and I don't think I have enough brain capacity and more importantly patience left to extend on it... at least not at the moment...

yeah, I'm slow with writing these huge posts, because I need to think about what I wanna say and how to... and blah.. blih ... bluh...................... leave me alone!!!!! :D
God, I'd rather discuss that stuff in person because then I wouldn't have to think half as much about what I'm gonna say...
sry, it's kinda exhausting lol ^_^

I can see where you're arguing from but frankly no, because we can only go off the data given. And what we have seen so far within equestrian society, is that the pony's act, well frankly how humans act. The Elements of Harmony are virtues that humanity values [excluding magic], Pony's are susceptable to raceism, biggotry, bullying... ect ect.

You have to remember that equestrian soceity is NOT the happy place we all want it to be, If you pay attention to the show at all you'll see that pony's are just as flawed and greedy as humanity can be. The point of the show is that there are some that can work past this and be better than that, and that's what the show is trying to reinforce, is that even though you're flawed you can do better.

The point you're missing is that, if we're working from a perspective of within the bounds of the show. Pony's are sentient on a human level. We're not talking aliens here though I appreciate where you're comming from with that ME reference. Pony's, given everything we've seen, are that universes version of humanity.

So if you're going to look at this show and do more than just sit there and smile when something funny happens, there has to be a baseline. Unfortenately the only baseline we can be presented with in regards to equestrian soceity... is Human Society.

Fandom moment: Lyra would argue from her universe humans exist and are on the same level as Equines!

Posted Image

Oh also, we had an entire episode devoted to Equestrian pairings, Hearts and Hooves day...Which can give us an idea. At the very least we learned that even if confronted with a fairly hawt dood... Cherilee would rather say no. Doesn't help Big Mac was kinda, not caring about the whole thing either...

Also may I add my friend who has a degree in sociology would like to disagree with you about them not being held to a human standard... Quote:

MENTALLY they are the same as we are.
They operate on the same mental level, they have the same hopes, dreams, desires. Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs is still clearly in effect.
They form society's in the same general way we humans do.
They just have different body types.

Fact: Mr. and Mrs. Cake are married. So are Cadence and Shining Armor. Fact: Ponies clearly want long term romantic relationships. Fact: There simply are not enough guys to go around. In order to support the population, guys HAVE to mess around with lots of girls and some girls will end up in long term emotional relationships with other girls.

Edited by Jade Kitsune, 17 July 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#5456 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 17 July 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Fact: Mr. and Mrs. Cake are married. So are Cadence and Shining Armor. Fact: Ponies clearly want long term romantic relationships. Fact: There simply are not enough guys to go around. In order to support the population, guys HAVE to mess around with lots of girls and some girls will end up in long term emotional relationships with other girls.

Heck, this is a kid's show. Reproductive processes are pretty much a mystery and will remain so for canonical purposes....Posted ImageFOREVER.

Point being, we don't even know how big a family most ponies have, or how long they live. There's evidence (between Granny Smith notably being a Ponyville founder and Twilight Sparkle mentioning Ponyville is centuries old) that your average pony lives a long, LONG life- and that's not even including the ones like Celestia or Luna, whose lifespans measure easily over a THOUSAND years.

If your average pony lasts for centuries...well, the reproductive rate can be considerably lower than your usual equines.

#5457 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Can i ask you guys something?(Not flaming or trolling atm)

What is this obsession with MLP? i mean i love cartoons(especially Invader Zim) but why is this show so attractive to you? im just wondering, im not trying to make fun of you.

#5458 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Because it's fun ;) that's the short answer, but I'm sire there will be plenty of long answers soon enough.honestly its just a great show :D

#5459 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hon. Mason West;

To answer your question for myself, I like MLP FIM because it is thoughtfully written and tells a moral, pro establishment, vulgarity free heroic comedy story. I did not know MLP FIM existed until I clicked on the "Let there be Pony" thread here. I have watched the show and will watch the show again before writing some cross over Battletech MLP FIM fiction. As for posting in the threads, I like to think, and share that thought with others. MLP FIM threads are a great audience. So long as I can relate a given topic to pony in some artistic manner, I am free to discourse on any subject. The forum threads in other topics are too heavily censored by the Stazi-esque peer reviewed conformity mob.

Lauren Faust's MLP FIM is to western animation what Josh Wedon's Firefly is to western Scifi. Just as Disney discovered a reasonably cheap means of perpetuating the broadway musicals of previous years, MLP FIM has successfully used very short song and dance sequences as well. There are few live action shows that attempt this form of entertainment. I will have to hazzard a guess as to why the meme has cross polinated so many genre threads on the net.

For me, the MLP FIM has two kinds of through traffic I appreciate, the familiar recurring people who post and occassionally discuss various topics, and the innumerable lurking guests who may read through the post for the art, music, and comdey entertainment value of the thread. I enjoy the opportunity to share with so many others who comprise a portion of the 6 degrees of separation between me and the rest of humanity. This is an audience to enlighten and perform for.

Posted Image

My two bits on the subject. Thank you for the question.

Respectfully

Samaritan

Posted Image

Edited by Samaritan, 17 July 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#5460 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Fandom moment: Lyra would argue from her universe humans exist and are on the same level as Equines!

Well, I suppose my wording could have been better...
What we see in the show is clearly akin to human society, I never meant to question that. I still think, that the conclusion, that every aspect of their society not depicted in the show, is just as close to human society, is merely an assumption.
Granted, it's an assumption that most people will blindly accept because it is what we are used to.

Oh also, we had an entire episode devoted to Equestrian pairings, Hearts and Hooves day...Which can give us an idea. At the very least we learned that even if confronted with a fairly hawt dood... Cherilee would rather say no. Doesn't help Big Mac was kinda, not caring about the whole thing either...

That doesn't tell us anything about Cherilee's or Big Mac's preferences though. If anything, it tells us that they are not interested in a romantic relationship with each other, or maybe even at all! If you want to point out that this could be a hint of some sort, you're just assuming things...

Fact: Mr. and Mrs. Cake are married. So are Cadence and Shining Armor.

Can't argue that.

Fact: Ponies clearly want long term romantic relationships.

Not a fact, just an assumption based on two examples. Sure, it's all we have to go on, but if we apply human standards, that is hardly representative of a whole society. Cheerilee and Big Mac could even be seen as a counterexample to that.

Fact: There simply are not enough guys to go around. In order to support the population, guys HAVE to mess around with lots of girls and some girls will end up in long term emotional relationships with other girls.

There is absolutely nothing in the show to prove that point! It looks like a logic outcome, but correct me i I'm wrong, we only know "the phenomenon" of homosexuality from humans, don't we? Do we actually know what makes people be/become homosexuals?
For all we know, this phenomenon could be exclusive to humans, couldn't it?
Claiming that there is no homosexuality in Equestria is just as much of an assumption as saying that there most definitely is.
We have no way of proving either point of view.
And that's my whole point! I'm not saying you're wrong, basically I didn't even say I disagree with you.
Fact of the matter is, I don't give a **** when watching the show!

I got a little sidetracked with my first post, but what I meant to point out was, that all the "Captain" said was, that he doesn't like that kind of stuff. He just said he didn't want to have to deal with it, and don't get me wrong, but your answer to that was just the kind of "in-your-face" that he probably wanted to avoid... ;)
Aside of that, you're still trying to sell the popular opinion as a fact, which it is not, it's still just an opinion... :angry:

View Postwanderer, on 17 July 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Heck, this is a kid's show. Reproductive processes are pretty much a mystery and will remain so for canonical purposes....Posted ImageFOREVER.

I think you're actually wrong on that one.
IIRC Lauren Faust confirmed that the Cake-twins where actually made "the traditional" way! :D

View PostMason West, on 17 July 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Can i ask you guys something?(Not flaming or trolling atm) What is this obsession with MLP? i mean i love cartoons(especially Invader Zim) but why is this show so attractive to you? im just wondering, im not trying to make fun of you.

Uh, I love IZ! Have you actually watched an episode of MLP? There's something about Pinkie Pie that reminds me of GIR...

Oh, and GIR is best pony! ^^
Posted Image

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook