New Shut Down Orverride Doesn't Make Sense At All...

84 replies to this topic

#1 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I did a test, I overloaded my mech with lasers, fired it a few times to make it hot. When mech goes into automatic shutdown, I press O and _nothing_ is "overridden" it still shuts down.

Ok, so I read up the patch notes, this is what it says:

"- If you press O, you will command your Mech to override the automatic shutdown"

But it doesn't do it, ever. Here's the full patch notes:

- It's also worth reviewing how the override and automatic shutdown system works, including the most recent changes:
		- At any time you can press P to power your Mech on/off
		- Each time you press P, there is a 0.75 sec cooldown before any additional presses of P are recognized; this is to help prevent people who constantly spam the P key from continually powering up and down
		- If you press P while in the process of powering on or off, you will queue up a command to perform the opposite sequence once the current sequence is complete
		- If your heat level reaches 100%, your Mech will automatically power down; it will automatically power back up again when your heat level drops below 100%
			- Your Mech can be manually powered up again after an automatic shutdown by pressing P
		- If you press O, you will command your Mech to override the automatic shutdown
			- When O is pressed, Betty will alert you that override has been activated, an override warning will flash on your HUD, and it starts a 5 second timer during which, if your heat reaches 100%, the automatic shutdown is ignored. (Note: Even after the 5 seconds have passed, your Mech will not automatically shutdown if you are over 100% heat.)
			- Each time you press O, you reset the 5 second timer
			- You can manually power down after overriding the automatic shutdown by pressing P, however you will not automatically power back up when your heat drops below 100% (though you will know this has happened when your screen stops flashing red)
		- If you remain powered up while over 100% heat, you will take damage to your internal structure

This is very complicated. I've suggested other things be made "more realistic" and I get shouted down with "it's just a game" and "it's not supposed to be realistic"

So, then, why is this override and power shutdown/startup so complicated (ie, realistic?) and with so many rules that no one will be able to remember all of these things in battle?

All other mechwarrior games, you press O, and the shut down stops, no muss, no fuss.

Here's MW 4:

2 patches ago and earlier the shut down system worked flawlessly. 1 patch ago it turned into a buggy awful mess, and now this patch... why has this been made so hard to use?

There's no way I can predict when I will over heat unless I know exactly how much heat I have at any moment in time, and how much heat I will create/dissipate, and it's even worse when in the middle of a brawl.

SOLUTION: Make the P key always power up or down and the U key do the opposite, problem solved with key spamming. Make O always override, no matter what. Remove the "permanent override" status, that thing makes no sense. No need for complicated timing rules or "key queues".

Edited by Megachromulent, 06 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

The new overheating system is lame.

#3 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

too many ppl were qqing that you COULD override shutdown (like in all other MW titles) so it got nerfed. Just like everything else anyone QQs en masse about

#4 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

too many ppl were qqing that you COULD override shutdown (like in all other MW titles) so it got nerfed. Just like everything else anyone QQs en masse about

Are you serious? Who would wine about being able to do a completely normal thing like override??? It's a part of canon, TT and all over MW games. totally insane.

#5 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

You have to Override the shutdown BEFORE it's initiated.

I really do find it kind of strange that so many people seem to be having an issue with overheating. If you manage your heat and weapons even remotely decently, you can consistently push the threshold without actually going over and still put out pretty good damage numbers.

#6 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

So now people just macro in "O" to all their fire keys like with the old U-AC un-jam sequence

#7 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Works the same way. When betty goes "Heat Level Critical" hit the override. The only difference is the gauge.

#8 Moorecroft

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I have a crazy idea; Shutdown Override = Toggle.
Your mech either automatically shuts down, or it doesn't. Your call.

Autoshutdown toggled off = you will never auto shutdown.

Autoshutdown toggled on = you will shutdown at ~100% heat as normal.

O (or other keybind) changes toggle.

#9 Kyros von Richthofen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I manage my heat just fine 90% of the time, and I still think the change to the override/powerup/powerdown sequence was completely unnecessary. It's a huge PITA now, and you never know if your keypress actually worked or not.

I once overheated and shutdown, attempted to override with P, got the confirmation upon powerup that I did, yet it still took forever and a day to power up and my heat was already down to the low 70s by the time that information came back. So it really gave no advantage over natural dissipation because it took just as long to power back up. If that's going to be the case, why bother having override functionality at all when shutdown?

#10 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

I've never seen anyone QQ on overrides. Everything else, from the POSSIBLITY of trolling with flamers, to endo-steel, and even machineguns making too much noise, yes, but no one's ever whined on overrides.

#11 Taurick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 216 posts
  • Location'straya

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

There's no way I can predict when I will over heat unless I know exactly how much heat I have at any moment in time, and how much heat I will create/dissipate, and it's even worse when in the middle of a brawl.

Yeh it's not like there's big flashing signs or alarms or bitchin betty screaming 'HEAT LEVEL CRITICAL!'

how could we possibly know when we are going to overheat :D

#12 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I agree that a few patches ago it was working better.
if you hit "O" you'd stop the shutdown process. and if you kept doing it you would see your heat holding at 100% for ages.
Meaning you are in the Heat Crit range. I remember running through the cauldron in a commando with 100% still a few seconds after firing and then boom! Engine explosion. Just like it was supposed to.

Now If I overheat I just power back up and try to run away, because firing again causes instant shutdown again.
It's nice to know the new mechanic is to press "O" before overheating.

But I'd prefer the choice to prevent shutdown as it used to be (and previous MW titles), and risk Engine or Ammo explosions due to being up at 130% heat. Possibly even walk speed and torso twist speed reductions while overheated but not shutdown.

#13 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 06 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

I really do find it kind of strange that so many people seem to be having an issue with overheating. If you manage your heat and weapons even remotely decently, you can consistently push the threshold without actually going over and still put out pretty good damage numbers.

This. I like the new system.

#14 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Are you serious? Who would wine about being able to do a completely normal thing like override??? It's a part of canon, TT and all over MW games. totally insane.

Why would you QQ about heat? Thats part of MW/TT/canon
Why would you QQ about LRMs? Same
Why would you QQ about Streaks? Same

etc etc etc etc etc on these boards man

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I've never seen anyone QQ on overrides. Everything else, from the POSSIBLITY of trolling with flamers, to endo-steel, and even machineguns making too much noise, yes, but no one's ever whined on overrides.

It got worse after the change but it was there to start with. Man this forum is like rule 34. If Its out here they will QQ about it

#15 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 06 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

That makes NO sense. How do you OVERRIDE Something that hasn't happened yet? (again, referring to ALL other mechwarrior sources)

View PostTaemien, on 06 February 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Works the same way. When betty goes "Heat Level Critical" hit the override. The only difference is the gauge.

No it doesn't, try it out. Overheat, press O. nothing happens, you stay shut down.

View PostMoorecroft, on 06 February 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

That is exactly what we have now, and it doesn't make any sense. Every other game and system use the override when you are SHUTTING DOWN, not _before_.

View PostTaurich, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yeh it's not like there's big flashing signs or alarms or bitchin betty screaming 'HEAT LEVEL CRITICAL!'

how could we possibly know when we are going to overheat

Because if I over heat, it may be an accidental fire of one to many weapons, or a click on 3 instead of 4 that causes the over heat. Get creative, and you will see how it's possible.

#16 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

But they ignore the tidal waves of QQ about ECM?

What? I don't even...

QQ had nothing to do with this change, trust me. It's just the way they wanted it.

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 06 February 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#17 Taurick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 216 posts
  • Location'straya

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 06 February 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

Because if I over heat, it may be an accidental fire of one to many weapons, or a click on 3 instead of 4 that causes the over heat. Get creative, and you will see how it's possible.

It's not PGI's job to make up for your piloting errors....

EDIT:
Furthermore, this system makes perfect sense. YOU make no sense
Mech is on, gets to critical heat (90% or so), this is the time you override your automatic shutdown systems.
You can't override an automatic shutdown system that has ALREADY done it's job and automatically shut down your mech.
If your mech is off, you push the power button to turn it back on. What's so hard about that?

Edited by Taurich, 06 February 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#18 Kyros von Richthofen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostTaurich, on 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

If your mech is off, you push the power button to turn it back on. What's so hard about that?

That's fine if they separate the power up and power down buttons instead of making it one toggle. It's not like they're using the entire keyboard for other functions.

In fact, why isn't Override and Power Up the same button? Make 'O' the override AND power up button, and keep 'P' as the power down button. To me, that makes way more sense.

#19 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Overrides were OP glad they nerfed them.

Hit O before you go over 100% if you dare.

#20 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostMoorecroft, on 06 February 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

+1 for this.

Make the override essentially just be a disabling of the saftey measures.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users