26 replies to this topic

#21 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Postmiscreant, on 10 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Ya, because they aren't making money nor do they know how to find them.

They have a publisher you know...a publisher who can finance those servers.

Why do I have to do all the logical thinking around here???? This community is HUGE, and most of us are older and have jobs and BUY MC. They have the money.

This community is small. Mechwarrior is a very niche market this day and age.

Further they use a match maker because it fits their design goals. Many of the most successful f2p games rely on match maker (see LoL and WoT).

They have to review and QA any user created map meaning that it would not speed up map creation at all.

#22 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostFooooo, on 10 February 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Wait wait wait.......

AFAIK we are most definitely not allowed to use their assets. They are made by PGI, and are the property of PGI. Hence without consent we cannot use them, else be possible legal action. (not that I think they would for someone who sent in a map with their assets there etc........)

As easy as it IS to use them, I have not seen a post stating that we are allowed to use them in the cryengine SDK. ( you cannot use crysis assets either unless you have a paid version of the SDK.......the non free one....which comes with them standard)

If this was the case I would be hard at work creating a few up to scratch maps, instead of flailing around in the dark......

very well so here is the question for the pgi
is it allowed for members of community to use your data in order to make more maps for the game?

#23 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Complexity of the maps?

don't they know that there are players out here in gamer land with skills and abilities that exceed PGI staff's?

can you say "Hubris"?

#24 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostNoth, on 10 February 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

This community is small. Mechwarrior is a very niche market this day and age.

Further they use a match maker because it fits their design goals. Many of the most successful f2p games rely on match maker (see LoL and WoT).

They have to review and QA any user created map meaning that it would not speed up map creation at all.

Then the game is doomed.

What a shame - we've been waiting for a quality MW game and look what we get.

And people like you, who agree with their decisions - will be as big a part of the game's failure as will the decisions made by the dev team.

Congrats, you will all ruin this perfectly "plausible" game.

Edited by miscreant, 11 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#25 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Wow! This is a funny thread!
Nearly blew my morning milk out of my nose. :P

#26 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

There are a couple games that had their shelflife extended way longer than ever imagined due to user created content. Heck Call of Duty (original) with modtools carried it for a decade. Modtools also brought people out of the woodwork who created what the game is today. Everything about that game today was created by players.

The reason that game evovled into what it did is because of user created content. They have had the perfect r&d handed to them for free just by watching what the users made. And then observing the content in action on privated servers to see where people flocked to. Then just polishing the edges and selling it.

They had a HUGE mapping/modder community that created tons of content (maps and mods). Granted some sucked, but some were just amazing. You would be suprised at the amount of amature map/modders out there that have been doing it for years. Hell I had 5 servers for almost 10 years. One for private debuggin our guys maps, and mods. 3 open to public running our and others content and one for competition. They were packed 24/7 and followed the game series right untill they tried to remove private servers. Justifying it by calling that community a "bunch of hackers" just so they could jump on the paid dlc wagon. In the one move our small group of about 400 people who had been together for years was gone. (I personally never touched it again)

This game has the right community to boom from user content. People who have followed it for years, and care to put the time into it. But it would take more to beg for it, and less to think no one can do it except pgi.

#27 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostDozier, on 05 August 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Heck Call of Duty (original) with modtools carried it for a decade. Modtools also brought people out of the woodwork who created what the game is today. Everything about that game today was created by players.

You compare CoD to MWO? I remember making maps with the Radiant Editor and I don't think it can be remotely compared to making maps in MWO.

Anyways, from all the countless custom maps for numerous games like Cod, CS, Portal, etc, only a tiny percentage is worth the time to check them out. I remember joining custom map servers for hundreds of games, thinking "awesome, new maps to play on!", only to find out that they were a cluster**** of ugly textures. Look at all the stupid "high-end" maps that are available for Gary's Mod...they SUCK! Hell, even that dude that took one year of his life just to create a new continent for Skyrim sucks.

So don't pretend there's a community that can do level design better in their sparetime than a bunch of professional game developers doing their jobs.

Furthermore, it would take too long and eat too much resources, to create a map editor for MWO that everyone can use. No user created content please.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users