#61 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostElkarlo, on 10 February 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Please get yourself an A1 go out and learn how hard it is to have good games on a regular basis.
The more A1 are out there, the less ECM cover they get, the harder it is to play them.

Please go out and make your own Videos of how Overpowered the A1 is.

The last "A1 are sooo overpowered" Video which was referred on and everybody wanted to show that it is SOO overpowered was on a close look a show that A1 only shines in certain situations and that the Pilot had indeed great Skill. Skill can't be nerfed and thats the Problem folks.
Or we will end up in Robots that look like TV-Screens and hoover around on Jumpjet sliding from side to side like Maniacs and Hit zones are removed because Aiming at weakpoints is sooo OP.

We just did.
Meow knights own the ghetto.

#62 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

We just did.
Meow knights own the ghetto.

Except when they get sad about being capped on. ;)

#63 Ezazel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Another QQ thread... based on a kill compilation video... sigh.

#64 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostKobold, on 10 February 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

Except when they get sad about being capped on. ;)

600 dollars to stand in the red square.
Money well spent.

Strange game. The only winning move is to not play.

#65 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

600 dollars to stand in the red square.
Money well spent.

Maybe you should take mechs that prevent this then? Nah j/k its easier to play bad and spam abuse.

#66 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostAz0r, on 10 February 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Maybe you should take mechs that prevent this then? Nah j/k its easier to play bad and spam abuse.

Nah, I really don't care. I make big money for wiping out 75% of the enemy team, and if they want to tap out like Hulk Hogan on a bad day, for a tiny 25k money, that's okay.

But I'm still gonna make fun of them.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 10 February 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#67 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

The catapault issues are frustrating, the game has improved quite well since closed beta but the catapault issues have remained. Almost every major balance change since closed beta has just resulted in a new catapult mutation gaining popularity. Weapons have had to be rebalanced too many times around the catapault, equipment should not have to be mainly balanced around possible catapault builds.

The catapault is a detriment to the game, you have too many weapons and other chassis being made useless by balance changes made to accommodate catapaults.

#68 Az0r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Nah, I really don't care. I make big money for wiping out 75% of the enemy team, and if they want to tap out like Hulk Hogan on a bad day, for a tiny 25k money, that's okay.

But I'm still gonna make fun of them.

Cause money is such a huge concern...

#69 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

So yea, guys the great thing about this video

is that it was literally the first game I recorded with fraps.

I have a bunch more videos that i need to edit (Speed up the boring bits where I move around to flank the enemy, and add backing tracks to keep it interesting)

But, that video is a fairly typical example of what A1 play is like. Forest colony and Caustic happen to be the hardest maps to do the above on but it's not specifically difficult to pull it off on those maps.

Edited by Sifright, 10 February 2013 - 03:56 AM.

#70 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostAz0r, on 10 February 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

Cause money is such a huge concern...

Posted Image

If money isn't a concern, then why do they get so mad when we total up all the gold they spent to sit in the box?

#71 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostKobold, on 09 February 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Make the SRMs a tighter spread and lower damage, and things will be fine.

So when ever anyone comes up with a great idea for a mech and uses it effectively, we all have to change the rules so they can't shoot you?
We try and blow up mechs here people and all I'm seeing in a lot of forums is:
He uses jump jets and PPCs - nerf them
He uses lots of streaks - nerf them
He uses too many LRMs - nerf them

Maybe we could all start shooting nerf darts?? Can you nerf a nerf?

He packed 6 fluffy bunny guns in a mech - change the soft, furry hard points!!

#72 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostConnorSinclair, on 09 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

My AC20 cat goes 70 kph and has no XL.

Fear me.

Yeah, because theres so many xl'd ac20 cats around...

Edited by Budor, 10 February 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#73 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Vassago, you usually troll in the worst ways possible. And then, you pull out marvellous quotes and commentaries like this one.

You are a marvel.

The A1 discussion shouldn´t be lead by the community. It´s a question for the game developers. At the moment, a A1 build is ahead of the curve, hard to avoid, hard to kill. It benifits from a combination of aspects:
- map design
- ecm functionality
- speed modifications
- hardpoint/launch tube system
- mission objectives

The A1-splattapult is not a disease. It´s a symptom of the chances for adaption/exploitation of the current meta.

And this is why this question belongs to the devs: If this kind of meta is desired, the A1 is the current endgame, until further mechs/equipments change that and the next big thing hits. If it is desired to be played this game according to this meta, nothing has to be done. "Works as intended", ya know?
If this isn´t desired, the devs should evaluate the reasons for the problems and start to build principles that avoid this problem.

Edited by Sidekick, 10 February 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#74 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostJay Kerensky, on 10 February 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

So when ever anyone comes up with a great idea for a mech and uses it effectively, we all have to change the rules so they can't shoot you?
We try and blow up mechs here people and all I'm seeing in a lot of forums is:
He uses jump jets and PPCs - nerf them
He uses lots of streaks - nerf them
He uses too many LRMs - nerf them

Maybe we could all start shooting nerf darts?? Can you nerf a nerf?

He packed 6 fluffy bunny guns in a mech - change the soft, furry hard points!!

I drive the A1 Your point is immature and ridiculous.

The A1 is massively over powered.

IF you can't see that you are blind. Not that i'm particularly surprised, this community as a whole is utterly rubbish at understanding balance implications. The vast majority of you for instance don't understand why the Machine gun is completely under powered at its intended performance niche.

You all take each individual benefit that the A1 has in isolation and compare just that benefit to other mechs.

The truth is the A1 has a raft of amazing features that make it over powered.

Largest number of missile hard points, when missiles are currently the most powerful weapon.

Largest torso twist angle in the game.

Fastest or 2nd fastest torso twist rate.

JJ, allowing you to jump the assaults whilst torso twisting so you can instantly land a 90 point alpha into their back killing anything but an atlas in one shot.

XL engine is not a problem because the Cat has the smallest side torso profile of any mech in the game.

#75 Aaren Kai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Time to lay some love on you folks...

Short story: SHOOT THE LEGS!

Long story: So the Cat-A1 is scary, well why is it? It's fast! Has hard to hit side torsos! Uses an XL engine! Runs double heat sinks to keep cool! Well guess what? Arms, full of weapons... torso, full of engine and only place to stuff double heatsinks. that leaves.... Two spots in the CT torso, one in the head, and four in the legs...

Dollars to donuts it's in the legs that no one aims for. Once you get the armor down there is a good chance you get an ammo explosion. What's a gimp splat cat? An easy target.

A good pilot will torso twist and spread damage, heck may even offer an arm if things are going bad. Legs... Always there front or back facing...

Try it, you will be surprised.

Edited by Aaren Kai, 10 February 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#76 Capp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostSifright, on 10 February 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

So yea, guys the great thing about this video

is that it was literally the first game I recorded with fraps.

I have a bunch more videos that i need to edit (Speed up the boring bits where I move around to flank the enemy, and add backing tracks to keep it interesting)

But, that video is a fairly typical example of what A1 play is like. Forest colony and Caustic happen to be the hardest maps to do the above on but it's not specifically difficult to pull it off on those maps.

I love how you almost cored your own cockpit with the splash damage from the last salvo of missiles.

#77 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Let us look at this realistically. I know, dirty words, right?

We have a mech with 6 missile hard points, 3 in each arm. We have 4 basic options:
  • LRMs
  • SRMs
  • Streak SRMs
  • A mix of the above.
LRMs are not terribly viable because of ECM and unreliable teamwork. Streaks are just as bad off. SRMs are viable. A mix is often semi-viable.

At this point the big problem is that the only really viable build also happens to be... Good! It's solid, and leaves a lot of tonnage open for armor, heat sinks, bigger engines, and jump jets. Also, it's very easy to use: get close and unload with prejudice.

And you know what? It's the only reliable build for the A1. If you nerf it, no one will use the A1. People want to take away the only reliable build for the thing.

What a lot of people overlook is that the A1 has some pretty glaring weaknesses. First of all, it is useless outside of 270m. Second, even with a maxed out engine and Speed Tweak, it maxes out at 86.4 kph. Any light mech should be able to out maneuver it. Third, all of its firepower is packed into the very easily hit arms, blow one off and you literally half the machine's firepower. Both and all it's good for is caps. Fourth, like all Catapults, the head hit box is very large. Fifth, many of these monsters mount XL engines. I don't care what people have to say about the side torsos being slim. My K2 pult regularly loses one or both of its torso mounted AC5s, while the arm mounted lasers are still good to go. If the side torsos are so impossible to hit than riddle me that one, Batman.

Now, I understand that it's human nature to complain. And as a mediocre player myself, I really hate to bust out "learn to play" as a comeback/solution/whathaveyou. But that really is the answer in this case. Stop whining and start winning. Learn the weaknesses of your opponents and exploit them, instead of playing into their strengths.

#78 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostEscef, on 10 February 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

What a lot of people overlook is that the A1 has some pretty glaring weaknesses. First of all, it is useless outside of 270m. Second, even with a maxed out engine and Speed Tweak, it maxes out at 86.4 kph. Any light mech should be able to out maneuver it. Third, all of its firepower is packed into the very easily hit arms, blow one off and you literally half the machine's firepower. Both and all it's good for is caps. Fourth, like all Catapults, the head hit box is very large. Fifth, many of these monsters mount XL engines. I don't care what people have to say about the side torsos being slim. My K2 pult regularly loses one or both of its torso mounted AC5s, while the arm mounted lasers are still good to go. If the side torsos are so impossible to hit than riddle me that one, Batman.

Going "LOL IT HAS WEAKNESSES. JUST SHOOT OFF THE ARMS ITS EASY." is ********. They can only really be taken down by focusing fire on them the second they are seen. If you miss it becuase it was hiding, it takes out half your team and then some before going down. If a team has more than one, and you have none, you are screwed unless your team is very organized.

I find the funniest part of your post to be about light mechs being able to outmanuever it. Yes, they can, but just barely. An A1, with a 315XL can stay right on their ***, and all it needs to do is clip them once or twice with a full salvo to completely cripple them, if not kill them in one hit. Ive had people flipping out in the game chat because I blasted down 3 light mechs in a row in under a minute, and then went and took down 2 other mechs with ease before the match ended.

The A1 is OP'd as hell. I can take an A1 boating SRMs into a pub match and wipe the floor with the enemy team. All the pults need some serious tweaking. Their torso twist is the biggest offender. While every other mech in the game is trying to turn to keep uo with you, you can twist around almost 180 degrees to blast them no matter where you are standing around the enemy mech. If somebody gets behind you, you can instantly twist around and alpha them with your SRMs or dual AC20/Gauss in the case of the K2.

The Stalker 5M is fine because while it can boat 5 SRM6's, it actually does have some huge weaknesses. Its slow, and it takes forever to turn around. Its very easy to shoot it from afar, or bombard it from behind or from the side while its turning.

I can post plenty of after game screens if you want to see proof of A1s ****** everything else.

#79 Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

I wouldn´t concider the range of the Splattapult to be a weakness. Or rather: it should be a weakness, but it isn´t.

Why? Map design (as stated earlier):
Check the maximum range on any given spot on any map and see if you get ranges larger than 270m. You most likely won´t find them in frozen city, river city and half of forest colony.
So yes, we have ranges longer than that. But: the place you choose to fight to avoid being splatted mustn´t be available for the other extreme (PPC boats/snipers, exept you are one yourself). The usual detection range and reaction range lies between 400 and 500m, if you re lucky.
With a speed of 86kph, that means 24m/s, that gives the cat a charging time (from the moment of detection) of approximately 10 seconds. given the map design, you won´t be able to shoot it on most maps because face it: the pilot isn´t dense, he can take cover.

And ths is why, although I focus fire on them the second they are spotted, they always make it into range without being crippled. Since most objectives in Conquest are within cover, there is no way to avoid them in this game mode.

#80 Johnny Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostConnorSinclair, on 09 February 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

It's still hard to believe people use joysticks on this game

I use it in my left hand instead of the keyboard, right hand uses mouse for aiming/torso twist and weapon group 1 and 2, everything else is mapped to joystick.

I used Throttle Up/Down on my joystick hat, let's me drive with one hand and control speed...can't play with keyboard anymore :)

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users