Color

24 replies to this topic

#1 Typhus79

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

Which Red is the Kurita Red for the sword of light regiments ? Flat Red it says in the books but which one is to choose ingame? - basic Red ? Maroon ? Crimson ? OX Blood ? Rust ?

Another is for Ryuken Regiments ? Charocal Grey ..- grey ? Battleship grey ? Gunmetal Grey ? Camo Gray ?

#2 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

IMO I'd say PC gamer red. The basic red is bright, and other reds like Phranken are super loud. For gray, probably camo gray. PC gamer gray is very light. Gunmetal gray is almost black.

-k

#3 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Personally, I like "Thulian" for a Kurita red. It goes really well with Titanium White. Example:

Posted Image

#4 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

I am using the pc gamer colors for my DCMS cataphract 1X...

Posted Image

#5 Neokenfu

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationXinyang Prefecture

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

I want my Cat K2 to look like this but I can't find anything close to gold(decals aren't in yet either).

Posted Image

#6 Typhus79

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

Black Gold Combo ....The Otomo Regiment ..a nice choice...
I can't find gold like Color either...maybe it will come later on.

Edited by Typhus79, 13 February 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#7 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

I'd say for the Kurita reds, use a flat, somewhat dull red rather than a glossy one. Most of the official regiment colors I've seen for Kurita were fairly flat and dull colors, the 1st Sword of Light regiment, for example, use these kinds of colors: http://www.camospecs...ature.asp?ID=87

Or you could go with the blue, green and silver of the Proserpina Hussars, who I personally have always had a soft spot for: http://www.camospecs...ure.asp?ID=6048

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 13 February 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#8 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Never knew about that site, very cool. It's been ages since I read any of the TROs or Scenario books. Hands up if you had the Galtor Campaign or Sorensen's Sabres, my two personal favorites, both featuring the Draconis Combine. Seems like most regular units are colored anywhere from white to a light gray or steel gray with red accents. The Sword of Light of course is painted in a flat red. The example above has some maroonish tones that don't quite look right to my eye. It seems so far that PC Gamer Red is the closest one to me. PC Gamer gray could work, as well as camo light gray.

-k

Edited by Kdogg788, 13 February 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#9 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 13 February 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'd say for the Kurita reds, use a flat, somewhat dull red rather than a glossy one. Most of the official regiment colors I've seen for Kurita were fairly flat and dull colors, the 1st Sword of Light regiment, for example, use these kinds of colors: http://www.camospecs...ature.asp?ID=87
Hmmh, I recall from the DCMS Field Manual that Kurita regimental colors tend to be bright, because they want to strike attention and be seen by their enemies, being samurai and all. That is the reasoning behind my why white-violet combo, too.
And most of the miniatures on the site you linked seem to be brighter as well. I think the "flat red" just refers to the entire 'Mech being painted with this single color, rather than to a specific shade of red.

I'll take another read in the book to make sure my memory does not betray me, though. :)

#10 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Man I am freaking losing it. No more posting complicated posts while at work. Flat Black jeezum, it's Flat Red. Edited. Sword of Light was Flat Red. I've always understood flat red as being a duller shade, almost buffed out red, and not a full on cherry red.

-k

Edited by Kdogg788, 13 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#11 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Alright, I've consulted the DC Field Manual - it actually has a full-color page (p95) with a Dragon from the 5th Sword of Light, and the red is ... well, not as dark as what Steinar proposed, but not as bright as what I remembered either, rather something in-between (I think from the linked website, this Marauder comes closest, although even that is still a tad too bright). I think I agree about the PC Gamer color being the best choice for it. ;)

#12 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

+1. I agree fully. Seems the best coloration for a close approximation of the Sword of Light Regiments.

-k

#13 Typhus79

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

THX for your input.

#14 MahKraah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaffel Dierondistrict

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

the paradecolors of the dieron regiments is white with gold decoration.
the 36th is using defaultpattern primary camolight grey secondary khaki (as gold) and camo lightgray again as 3.

all this are parade colors , in the field the kurita units are using what ever camo fits to the battlefield.
at least the regular untis do.

"The Dieron Regulars disdain parade-style color schemes, preferring appropriate camouflage. When orders require parade dress, the Regulars paint their 'Mechs white with gold trim.

Per FM:Draconis Combine, page 48"

Edited by MahKraah, 14 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#15 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Dieron Regulars do so, but this actually appears to be an oddity. As per the Field Manual's entries on the various District Regular Forces, the Alshain regiments have white and jade green, Benjamin regiments tend to use the colours white, brown and dark red in any combination (not uniform, and some few units also use camo instead), whereas Galedon regiments use light blue, white and tan, and the regiments of the Pesht district have white and gray with green and dark blue accents.
In the book, the Dieron regiments are noted as "pragmatic" for their use of camouflage, making them stand out from the norm.

#16 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ill have to remember this post when it comes to selecting appropriate house orientated regiment colors. I'd be proud to serve under any of the Draconis Combine districts. Davion front is preferred. It's yet to be decided the details of CW, but most of us would like to be house affiliated if possible.

-k

#17 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

I took the Phranken red. I googled "flat red" (image search) and I think it fits the bill - especially since its a tad shadier ingame

Posted Image

Also I think that painting the mech red as Sword of Light ist somewhat overbearing - but its fine since it guarantees attention of folks that know the lore.

Edited by Rauchsauger, 15 February 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#18 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

There's something about the color that doesn't look right to me. It could be my eye or my monitor here, but the two colors listed above, Thulian and PC Gamer Red look a little closer to what they should be IMO. Basic Red seems a little more accurate as well. At the moment I paint some of my mechs in some pretty wild, outlandish colors, but perhaps when CW comes about, us HK members will sometimes be painting in representative DC color schemes.

-k

#19 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

hopefully you guys have a cheaper color palette than House liao has, our base (entire house, not just a unit) colors total up to 2500 mc...

#20 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Fortunately you can make an approximation at least of most standard Kurita color schemes utilizing basic and PC Gamer colors. If you want white or a different red, you'll have to pay some MC, but it's not a big deal. Titanium White is worth every penny of its 1000MC cost, and there are some reds for 500MC if you don't like the two free ones. They really don't seem that different to my eyes though.

Marik is another house that would be forced to use MC for standard house colors. No way to use purple without MCs.

-k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users