• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Despite being the designated assault whipping boy since closed beta rollout (like Centurion and Dragon in its classes) it is nice to see the Awesome having his day in the sun. Between 9M and Baby, there are at least 2 Awesomes dropping every match right now. I consistently see Awesome pilots racking up 400+ scores and being in top three of their boards. Not bad for contender of "worst mech in the game" title that it is competing with Spider and Dragon.

#2 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

My thoughts on the awesome: it moves and plays a lot like a beam/missile based cataphract with poor brakes. Both mechs have the same feel to me as mobile brawling, sniping, support mechs. Neither can take too much of a beating as their level of armor can't compensate for how easy they are to repeatedly hit due to their large boxy frames. I think the awesomes compare closely to Cataphract 1X or 2X without a ballistic weapon loaded and depending if your variant is toting missiles. I don't know if that's a great endorsement for the awesome, saying that it is nearly identical in offensive power and defensive endurance to a heavy class mech.

#3 Father Dougal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I always liked the Awesome, expect that horrible cockpit engine noise.

#4 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hey FD, yeah, I like the Awesome and have been watching people drop in them all the time.

QQ has an excellent Awesome pilot and Glock was the guy who made the Awesome seem viable.

So yeah...

#5 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Also every mech has a weak area. The way to an awesome's heart is through the side torsos. Like a Dragon, the "fast" awesome needs XL. Unlike a Dragon, the side torsos are very easy to hit unless you use your arm shields. I'm playing the shield like on a Centurion.

#6 Riffleman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

The ppc buffs affected all mechs, not just the awesome. Anything the awesome can do, the stalker does better, unless you are all about "getting there faster" with a medium mechs weapons loadout. I would like for the awesome to be better, I really would, especially since just like the catapult the stalker seems to have that blimp shape that makes damage somehow disapear when aplied to the wrong part.

But its not really having its day, The $hitty babby is a poor waste of nearly 30 bucks.

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

The buff it got and the buffs to large energy weapons make it a viable and different choice from the stalker. Now it is truly speed or firepower, instead of just one flat out worse than the other.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#8 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Well, the Baby and the big energy weapon buffs made me graduate from Cataphracts and Dragons to Awesomes as well, so that's one more awesome in the field on all my games at least. :P

Overall, I don't think the Baby (which I use as a beefed up 2X) and the 8Q ( which I use as a beefed up 1X) gives me any absolute advantage over using my good old Cataphracts and I don't see very big difference in results (been bagging about 3 kills per match with my cataphracts, i dun think awesomes will let me bag 5 per match? LOL)

Edited by Pr8Dator, 10 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#9 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 February 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

The buff it got and the buffs to large energy weapons make it a viable and different choice from the stalker. Now it is truly speed or firepower, instead of just one flat out worse than the other.

That and the much better torso twist for the Awesome - while it still doesn't hit as hard or tank quite as well as either of the other assaults, it's now a little more flexible in a brawl, and with faster rotation speed it acquires targets quite quickly when sniping. Overall, it's a nice bridge between the heavy class and the bigger assaults.

#10 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

All you need to do to make the Awesome, well Awesome, is drop in a 300 standard and DHSs. From then on, everything is academic and based on your piloting and your group. I struggled through the 8Q, 8R, and 8V using tier 1 tech (ie, single HSs and no ES) and had a really hard time with it due to such slow speed and the fact that it turned like a boat. While I'm not Usaine Bolt like my 9M and PB cousins, I'm rockin it out at a cool 60kph (about to get speed tweak) and absolutely LOVING the triple PPC. Well, technicially double PPC and single ER PPC but it is great. I can get to where I need to be and I can put a hurt on folks at range.

Its all about playing up to your strengths.

#11 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I got an Awesome...it's...er...pretty cool.
I also have 3 Dragons and 4 Phracts and a Foundy-catty (would have preferred a Dragon, tbh).
Glad for the engine cap buff the Awesome just had, and the 'Baby is the first Hero that i've wanted.

Saving for my second AWS as we 'speak' while i grind up my DRG's again.

The AWS and DRG are similar in that they work best piloted as the weight class below +5.
Kinda like the Cicada.

That's a +5 mech, too.

GO AWESOME, YOU'RE...er...REALLY GOOD.

Edited by Snowcaller, 10 February 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#12 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I didn't care much for the 9M, even though I kept mine. I like the 8V the best. It took a 9M and a Pretty Baby to bring me down, but I took the 9M out first and inflicted some heavy damage on the PB before getting taken out. I don't particularly like the turning radius nerf they did on the Awesomes, but I guess the torso twist improvement was meant to help compensate for that.

Edited by kilgor, 10 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#13 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

as much as 400 dmg for an assault. Those are some pretty big numbers.

#14 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

I'm trying to make my 9M 'Awesome.' I just dropped 21m on the loadout... so quite the gamble. I'm beginning to believe that it's a viable mech if I can get the torso twisting down, and improve my shield arm usage.

#15 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

What were the ppc and energy weapon buffs? What exactly did they buff on the awesome and which mechs got improved engine rating? Thanks. I missed all this in the notes.

#16 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostSpinning Burr, on 10 February 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

What were the ppc and energy weapon buffs? What exactly did they buff on the awesome and which mechs got improved engine rating? Thanks. I missed all this in the notes.

Read them again. There's a huge section on it.

#17 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

By the way, the 8T with a 300 standard, two PPCs, and two SRM6 = Thug, one of the best mechs in the game and the big brother/competitor to the Warhammer. Makes me happy in the pants!

#18 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

The pretty baby is a pretty terrible mech. I'm always amazed that someone would pay so much money to drive such a poor ride.

#19 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Funny, I just killed one last match...

#20 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I love the Awesome.....because it is so easy to hit them it my AC/20. :)

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users