Awesome Is Having Its Day

69 replies to this topic

#61 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostM4NTiC0R3X, on 10 February 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

When they introduced the stalker i sold my newly purchased 9M thinking that the stalker would be greater in all ways.

Sure, my stalker has it's own qualities which make it great... and my awesome is pretty much terrified of face to face combat with a good stalker or atlas.. but you know what? That 9M Kicks ***, the arms... iono I don't want to tell my build but as far as fast moving assault 'mech that really packs a nonstop lightning barrage... with streaks... it's just an ECM lights greatest companion ever. EVAR!

I dunno what you just said, but I wasn't really paying attention, I was focused on seeing Ninja Tunes, Solid Steel, and Clan Wolf all in one sig! You sir, win a cookie.

#62 Blaze Misaki

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAntioch, CA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

For everyone who says the Awesome sucks please keep believing that and ignore it on the field.

Now personally ive loved the 9m and i even got the PB. i wont go so far as to say i am a godly pilot i usually feel its my choice in the 9m and the PB that gives me 400 to 1200 damage games. for those of you interested in trying the PB get the 9m and spend the 10,000,000 c-bills it will take you to outfit it decently. you can fight the stalker or an Atlas with no problem if you fight it with the right mentality. if you charge in head first expect to get nailed but if you learn to think like a light mech pilot you should be able to zombie them no problems and keep most of your armor. no its not like the atlas who can stand in the front and take the punishment, but keep in mind you have the speed to flank and run circles around those mechs. to everyone who is going to say bs and such if you see my name in a match pugging or in 8 mans call me out to duel and if its while pugging hopefully people can be respectful and we can have a fun fight.

#63 Congzilla

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Awesomes like Dragons, Cents, and Cicadas simple take more skill to play well and are harder to cheese out than other chassis. it has never been about them not being good mechs.

#64 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostCongzilla, on 11 February 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Awesomes like Dragons, Cents, and Cicadas simple take more skill to play well and are harder to cheese out than other chassis. it has never been about them not being good mechs.

They are too easy to take down and don't fit into the assault role. Everything they do can be done better by some other mech. Apart from the 9m that is fast but do you really want to drive a boosted hunchback while giving the enemy team a Stalker or an Atlas?

#65 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostSpinning Burr, on 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Despite being the designated assault whipping boy since closed beta rollout (like Centurion and Dragon in its classes) it is nice to see the Awesome having his day in the sun. Between 9M and Baby, there are at least 2 Awesomes dropping every match right now. I consistently see Awesome pilots racking up 400+ scores and being in top three of their boards. Not bad for contender of "worst mech in the game" title that it is competing with Spider and Dragon.

You sir are clueless to what makes a good mech, some mechs are easy mode.
were others require skill, if you think the ones the require skill are the weakest ones.....

well I can tell you that you are so wrong your nearly american :o

Edited by Cybermech, 11 February 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#66 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

If it were named Mediocre instead of Awesome no one would play it. I like to hop in my 9M and 8T and the 300 engine rating has helped a bit for 8 models, probably the most benefitting from it is the 8Q. I chose not to play an Atlas because I never liked them and no other "Assault" was available.

#67 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostTaizan, on 11 February 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

If it were named Mediocre instead of Awesome no one would play it. I like to hop in my 9M and 8T and the 300 engine rating has helped a bit for 8 models, probably the most benefitting from it is the 8Q. I chose not to play an Atlas because I never liked them and no other "Assault" was available.

Same about the awesome over the atlas. I would love to have it renamed to "Mediocre". Would be hard to resist driving it then. Or simply "Gimp" would rock too. have to paint it all black though.

#68 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 11 February 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

They are too easy to take down and don't fit into the assault role. Everything they do can be done better by some other mech. Apart from the 9m that is fast but do you really want to drive a boosted hunchback while giving the enemy team a Stalker or an Atlas?

This is wrong. If you're a bad pilot, and I'm not saying that YOU are a bad pilot Ilwrath, then the Awesome is going to get you dead in a hurry. The lack of armor vs the Atlas will hurt and the lack of weaponry vs the Stalker and Atlas will hinder you. But, this is one of the things that I would ask the people that say that the Awesome is bad:
- How often do you pilot the Awesome?
- And more importantly, when you pilot/fight an Awesome, how often do you/they use Quick Look to protect their torsos while maintaining fire?

See? That last part is really important. I can jump in any mech with arms and protect my torsos, somewhat, with my arm. BUT, it is really hard but especially important to be able to keep your arm loaded weapons on your target while protecting yourself. I see more bad players trying to face hug their targets and even more trying to do so while their torsos are barely holding on by way of a few nuts and bolts. But it is the artists that are nimble enough to do all of this and still put the hurt on their enemies. What is the Stalker going to do when this happens to them? What is the Atlas going to do when all of their weaponry are in their torsos? Not that the Awesome is an arm loaded killing machine. But I can lay down some hurt from range and then circle round you and still hurt you while being fast enough to avoid the bulk of your torso mounted weapons.

#69 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 11 February 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

the problem with the awesome has almost nothing to do with the awesome itself - it's the fact that when one of your team mates chooses the awesome the enemy team get a better LRM boat stalker or an Atlas

you end up having to play the Awesome like a medium mech (biggest engine and hit and run tactics) to be effective, it's the odd sock in the assault draw... but then most of the bottom weight in class mechs suffer from the same disadvantage and some people learn to overcome that

Hopefully eventually we will get proper battlevalue/tonnage matching so this does not happen anymore.

#70 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 10 February 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Because you don't compare the Awesome to the Cataphract. You compare it to the other Assaults.

Which, as an oldschool tabletop player I find kinda silly. Canonically, 80 tons is "assault", but in terms of protection and payload, 80 tons is actually about the same as 75 tons with equivalent engine speeds.

If you split 'Mechs by actual capacity...well, see my sig. There's a reason that such a line can be drawn between the Awesome vs. Stalker in what it's good for, and that's part of it.

40 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 40 guests, 0 anonymous users