67 replies to this topic

#41 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostBenyamin, on 13 March 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I like my 4 ERPPC K2. Runs hot as hell, but my god a 40 alpha pinpoint strike can make people cry hacks when it hits them in the head.

How many heat sinks and what engine do you run on this? I use a 300XL, and 20 DHS on my twin ERPPC K2, and even that overheats.

#42 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 13 March 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

How many heat sinks and what engine do you run on this? I use a 300XL, and 20 DHS on my twin ERPPC K2, and even that overheats.

XL 280 and 17 DHS. Heat efficiency of 1.
It also has Endo and 400 armor.

I honestly built this as a joke build with parts just laying around in my mech lab, but I enjoy playing it.

#43 AssaultHatori

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I run a 4 ER PPC build too, but my K-2 only can hit maximum .96 heat efficiency with 16 DHS and 205 STD engine. FF armor tho.

#44 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostAssaultHatori, on 13 March 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I run a 4 ER PPC build too, but my K-2 only can hit maximum .96 heat efficiency with 16 DHS and 205 STD engine. FF armor tho.

Definitely get an XL engine. I can count on one hand the times I've actually been taken out from a side torso hit in my K2. It'll be more heat sinks as well.

But don't get me wrong, I'm still running hotter than hell with this. 1 alpha strike will put me at around 60% heat, depending on the map. But it is worth it in my opinion.

#45 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I feel the swap to ERPPCs renders a boat like that a much worse mech. Better just stick with regular PPCs and fire much more often than be a one-shot alpha, two-minutes cooldown mech.

#46 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm thinking of reworking my Centurion AL to mount an ERPPC. I'd like to maybe go with 2 but I doubt that I'll have the arm long enough to invest that much tonnage to my arm. Maybe I'd pair it with a tag in the arm, a large laser in my chest and some LRMs?

Thoughts?

#47 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Two ERPPCs might work on a Centurion, but I'd plan on not having much else. I use 20 DHS on my K2 (with twin ERPPCs and twin MGs) and that's pushing it for my taste.

Although, I tend to build my mechs to be very heat manageable. I'm not a high-alpha long-cooldown kind of guy. I would rather keep up a regular rate of fire than hope that my first salvo hits hard enough to let me survive long enough to get my heat manageable. I even opted to replace the two MLs with MGs on my K2, as they let me keep a higher rate of fire with my ERPPCs.

#48 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Given the tendency toward larger maps, I rebuilt my CN9-AL as follows:

XL275
2 PPCs
2 MLs
2 SRM2s
DHS
Endo

The PPCs are the main sniping weapon. The MLs and SRMs are just for clean up and leg humpers. This is basically an energy version of the Yen Lo Wang.

I call it my E-Wang.

#49 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostNRP, on 14 March 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Given the tendency toward larger maps, I rebuilt my CN9-AL as follows:

XL275
2 PPCs
2 MLs
2 SRM2s
DHS
Endo

The PPCs are the main sniping weapon. The MLs and SRMs are just for clean up and leg humpers. This is basically an energy version of the Yen Lo Wang.

I call it my E-Wang.

If it's primary role is as a sniper I suppose the XL engine isn't that terrible of a gimp. I might have to give it a shot, though I suspect I'll have trouble with it on the smaller maps.

#50 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

I tried a 6PPC Stalker-5S, but dropping to only 4PPC's allowed me to add twin AMS and 16 SRM tubes (six in each side torso and two in each arm. For extra speed, I upped the engine to a 300XL (from the 255XL that it came with). As I planned my -5S to be some kind of PPC boat from the get go, I named it "Sleepy".

My odd duck PPC mech is my Catapult-K2. It still has the stock armor layout, but it only has a 210XL, so it is bog slow. However, it uses ten DHS and endo-steel to replace the MG's and ML's with twin LB-10X's and four tons of ammo. It has ERPPC's, so it is too easy to overheat. It is still fun.

#51 KEMikos

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostBenyamin, on 13 March 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I like my 4 ERPPC K2. Runs hot as hell, but my god a 40 alpha pinpoint strike can make people cry hacks when it hits them in the head.

Ain't that the truth... I just switched from a 3xPPC Cataphract (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd17d16de01993b) to a 4xPPC Atlas (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eb7a3ecc4e891a9), and though I never really felt under-gunned in the CTF, my god, does that extra beam make a difference. My average damage per match dropped to about half what it was before, but I'm suddenly getting 3-5 kills per match now, as opposed to 1 or 2 - that pinpoint damage makes a huge difference.

#52 Sir Fuzzy

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

Treb 7M. This is more for fun and a love of Trebs but it actually works pretty well. You go almost 90 with speed tweak and have jump jets so you can get around quite easily. The Streaks are just thrown in for some anti-light action as lights are your only real enemy.... but you can get rid of them and some heatsinks to make it a 3ppc sniper that runs pretty hot if thats your thing.

As it is you can chain fire the PPC's for a nice long time before having to care about your heat at all. Switching to ERPPC's makes it run a little hotter but you can still chain fire a whole lot.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...efe843752f74a30

#53 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

K2: 300 XL 2x ERPPC in Arms 2x ML in sideTorsos, Gauss + 2T Ammo.

#54 KEMikos

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

Oooh, I'm going to steal that, Fuzz. Despite being a fan of the Bucket from the TT days, I hadn't found a compelling reason to grab one in MWO. Till now. Nice.

#55 Forestal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostSir Fuzzy, on 15 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

Treb 7M. This is more for fun and a love of Trebs but it actually works pretty well. You go almost 90 with speed tweak and have jump jets so you can get around quite easily. The Streaks are just thrown in for some anti-light action as lights are your only real enemy.... but you can get rid of them and some heatsinks to make it a 3ppc sniper that runs pretty hot if thats your thing.

As it is you can chain fire the PPC's for a nice long time before having to care about your heat at all. Switching to ERPPC's makes it run a little hotter but you can still chain fire a whole lot.

Whew, I thought that I was the only weirdo who had this idea... though I go 100+ using the XL 300 engine (running/hiding along with the ecm lites... :P ).

With enough double-heatsinks, I can chain-fire 2 x ER PPCs on my TBT-7M to scare/warn off oncoming heavies/assault (trying to lrm/snipe me) long before I have to worry about overheating (even though I obviously don't have the armor to outlast them in an actual standoff), so it's the "anti-lites" strategy that I'm really working on-- trying and testing a mix of srms vs streaks vs lasers, etc. (& managing/varying the speed/slots/heat, etc.) to see if there is any way to survive until I get to my team (or my team gets to me)...

But there's still a lot of tweaking and practice before I'm done with this build-- especially now that you've revealed how vulnerable PPC Trebs are to lites... damn it!!! ;)

Edited by Forestal, 15 March 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#56 Rustiax

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

K2 - 2x ERPPC, 2x AC/2 (150 shots) , 300XL

Averaging around 500-700 DMG if we win, otherwise around 300-500

#57 Ultimatum

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

Bit of wierd build I have, I use the founder catapult with the following build:

CPLT-C1(f)
2 ER PPC
SRM 6 + Artemis
17 DHS
XL 300 Engine
No JJ

#58 The Warspite

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Atlas RS with 4 x PPC's in the arms and a Gauss. Alpha's for 55 (more than enough for a single headshot to take a mech out) and you can still use the Gauss when it starts to heat up.

#59 KEMikos

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostSir Fuzzy, on 15 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

View PostKEMikos, on 15 March 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Oooh, I'm going to steal that, Fuzz. Despite being a fan of the Bucket from the TT days, I hadn't found a compelling reason to grab one in MWO. Till now. Nice.

OK, tried this for a few matches last night... Lovin' it! Surprisingly it can actually be useful when one of those annoying ECM lights is bothering you. Protip: PPC minimum range doesn't affect the EMP effect. Oh, Streaks won't lock you? Whoops! :wacko:

#60 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

I've been loving my Raven 2X with twin PPCs. Put in the torso they fire at EXACTLY the same spot, so it's 20 points of damage at the exact same spot - a lot of punch from a little mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users