Is It Just Me Or Are The New Recruits Getting Better

14 replies to this topic

#1 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

So the last week or two has shown (what seems to be) a large influx of (much needed) new blood into MWO. Following that, the usual stomp/steamroll machine was in full swing. However, it seems over the last few days most of the "New Recruits" are starting to figure things out, as I've had about 45% of my matches end up being pretty damn close.

This could be entirely coincidental but who knows.

What does it look like out there to you guys?

(Please keep it positive, didn't mean to start a noob hate thread here.)

#2 Pancakeman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've noticed that too. It seems that overall, the play has gotten better.

#3 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

yeah it seems that way, before when i pugged my plan was to use all the other mechs as cover and basically just lonewolf it, but here recently the teams ive been getting on have seemed more likely to stick together and at least follow some semblance of a plan, i find it awesome thats i;ve pugged and have defeated a few premades

#4 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Seeing it also. Still see a few pugstomps against a well organised team but that is the game. Games last longer as I think new players are realising that staying together is just so important.

#5 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

elo at work?

#6 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Not till 19th. Right now we're just generating data to seed the system when it goes live.

#7 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

They could all just be leaving.. lol. :S

#8 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

I have noticed a slight change in tighter group formations and fire. I suppose we may be seeing less newcombers and some of the recent ones who enlisted have toughed out the learning curve and improved their skils. Basically those that didn't give up got better. I'm seeing alot of trial K2's but that could just be some experinced drivers taking it for a spin and not entirely a new player.
Some of these K2's have gotten my attention fairly quickly. The MG's I think is there downfall and that sound just gives a hell of a headache with headphones on. Especially if the guy can hold an aim. 8000 rounds of DAKADAKADAKA, please kill it.

#9 Vraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I think there's a mix of factors. Players are definitely trying to learn tactics more, realizing that you can't really gung-ho it alone. The netcode changes I think are also adding a little bit of an improvement to the lagshield problem. I know the amount of lead firing I've had to use has gone down. (Yay no more leading by as much as a stalker ahead of a mech >_>)

I'm still a little unsure about how well Elo ranking balance will work, especially since I've found my own W/L and output metrics vary wildly =\ Then again maybe that means I'll get stuck with novices forever :P

#10 MurnShaw

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFlushing, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

My theory is the last couple of patches have brought people back to the game, so we're not seeing newbies as much as veterans returning to check out the changes...

#11 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

i ran into a 8 man premade while running a 2 man premade today... i think the match making system is just broken atm.

#12 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

The decent crop of trial mechs probably helps a lot, along with the other reasons stated above. People aren't being scared off the game right away by overheating and getting cored after two shots.

#13 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I haven't recruited anybody so I couldn't tell you if the new recruits are getting better

#14 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have noticed it also. It seemed to happen after the last patch that really helped the net code.

#15 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

It's just you.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users