Performance Pass: Now We Have More Texture Pop-In?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

The last two patches have mentioned performance passes. Indeed, my framerates have shot up at least 20 FPS, but now I see texture pop-in everywhere, grass grows before my very eyes as I get closer, and other things of that nature. Is this stuff that was always happening but I just missed it when I was running at 30 FPS, or is this the price of the improved framerate? If the latter, I would really prefer to keep the draw distances more distant and just play at 30 FPS.

Can anyone comment on this?

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

what exactly is texture pop in?

#3 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostTennex, on 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

what exactly is texture pop in?

Ultimately what I am seeing would be more accurately called "LoD" pop in. Basically, the hirez decals and weeds and good textures in the ground are taking too long to render, so that when they finally do they are close enough that I can see the texture change. Ideally this is supposed to happen just before you get close enough to notice the previous lack of detail in the lorez texture that was loaded for distant objects.

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Isn't that anisotropic filtering? Might be their reason for increasing performance is to reduce the range that it happens so you end up with more low-rez textures on screen. I haven't really noticed this. but i'll look around to see. What I do notice is geometry popping up all of a sudden, maybe the geometry is on the same kinda thing as ground clutter? If that's the case then that's not anisotropic filters. My settings are maxed too.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 11 February 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#5 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

ahhh.

#6 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostTheevenger, on 11 February 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

The last two patches have mentioned performance passes. Indeed, my framerates have shot up at least 20 FPS, but now I see texture pop-in everywhere, grass grows before my very eyes as I get closer, and other things of that nature. Is this stuff that was always happening but I just missed it when I was running at 30 FPS, or is this the price of the improved framerate? If the latter, I would really prefer to keep the draw distances more distant and just play at 30 FPS.

Can anyone comment on this?

I don't notice the grass much, but as I approach terrain it seems to morph in shape the closer I get... nothing major just kind of uhhhwaaaat?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users