8Vs8 Gets Boring

v1.2.182

43 replies to this topic

#1 Satan Petit Cul

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

We used to play 8vs8 game, but now it's so boring we prefer split in two groups of 4.

Why ? because all the teams are the same now :
- ECM Raven / Atlas
- PPC / GAUSS Boat

There is less and less diversity, all the games look the same...

This is our feeling. What do the other 8vs8 players think ?

Edited by Niko Snow, 16 April 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#2 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Our team is usually:

- 2 ravens with ECM
- 3 mediums (2 centurions and 1 hunch)
- 3 atlas (just 1 D-DC to cover from LRM).

At the moment the ECM problem is just about light mechs, because ECM ravens eat anything else (other lights are useless).

Most boring team to face? The so called "wall of mechs"... 1 light and 7 atlas sitting in their own base. Otherwise it is still funny enough.

#3 ClaymoreReIIik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 499 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

View Post***** Petit Cul, on 12 February 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

We used to play 8vs8 game, but now it's so boring we prefer split in two groups of 4.

Why ? because all the teams are the same now :
- ECM Raven / Atlas
- PPC / GAUSS Boat

There is less and less diversity, all the games look the same...

This is our feeling. What do the other 8vs8 players think ?

A ton of us have been saying exactly that about 4 weeks ago in countless ECM-Feedback threads.

If you want to win you bring that, if you want to have fun you can always run different setups (limit yourself to a certain max tonnage, or try to minimize tonnage for a given role (ever tried a gauss/ppc sniper hunchback?).

However the game is not at all balanced for 8v8.

#4 Undergoose

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

If you're tired of losing to standard pre-mades with your standard pre-made, don't get bored, get better.

After that, when you're bored with winning all the time, use 8 Death's Knells.

When you get bored of winning with THAT, come see me. I have TONS of good ideas. :)

Seriously, though, focus more on tactics and less on build-out. It's never boring to keep honing your skills and challenging yourself to take on more handicap and keep winning.

Anyone can build the best mechs and go 'pwning'. I challenge you to build something weird, go hunt down those people and help them out of their boredom.

#5 Satan Petit Cul

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostUndergoose, on 12 February 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

If you're tired of losing...

I never said that we were losing.

Your point is correct, we have to adapt to the enemy, improve tactics, etc... that is the purpose of playing in a team. But it is not the point, not really.

As the game seems unbalanced for 8v8, a majority of teams (that we encountered) plays the same way. And this is boring, it has nothing to do with winning or losing.

Edited by Satan Petit Cul, 12 February 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Undergoose

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

View Post***** Petit Cul, on 12 February 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

I never said that we were losing.

Great! That means you're all prepped to implement the rest of my post. :)

#7 Satan Petit Cul

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostUndergoose, on 12 February 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

Great! That means you're all prepped to implement the rest of my post. :)

The rest of your post is not the purpose of the topic.

#8 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

8 mans are boring. Way too cookie cutter. ECM is the big culprit, used to see every kind of mech on the field of battle, so many are now useless or second class mechs instead.

#9 Pilotasso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 365 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

ECM is overrated, the real problem are hitboxes, without lagshield even an ECm raven can be taken out in the open, right now they roam free despite being fired at by everyone.

#10 Twisted Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

@ The OP. It is boring because you cannot advance without bum rushing thanks to ECM. Apparently standing around waiting for stragglers and then walking as a group to the other base is the "strategic game play" that has been created by ECM.

Yes it is boring. It will get more boring with EMP PPC's because now you will just need to stack more DDC's who can also have PPC's on them.

#11 Quardak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationRaumsystem Kitzingen

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

so why not playing against a friendly 8 Man Team?

We do so... play with our own rules. 500 Tons, max. 2 ECM Mechs, on Conquest.

THAT is FUN!

#12 Undergoose

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

View Post***** Petit Cul, on 12 February 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

The rest of your post is not the purpose of the topic.

"8v8 Gets Boring"

The rest of my post clearly states how to overcome boredom with 8v8.

Please explain how you don't get that.

#13 Satan Petit Cul

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostQuardak, on 12 February 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

THAT is FUN!

Quiet clever to switch to conquest mode, you arr almost sure to play with your friendly team.

#14 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

Strange
everybody seems to agree that playing DDC+3L is boring...so...everybody now plays gauss/er ppc+adv zoom....
is it the balance that is wrong (Bad PGI...bouh!!!!!!!! :) ) or is it us using lame builds and playing seating ducks in our base popshooting the other team :wacko:
want some fun.?try something else...you'll loose a few games but you probably will have great fun
With our team we train seriously with the recommended builds but we also give free rein to everybody for some crazy build once in a while...and we enjoy the games so much we don't really care about the result (and we win sometimes...because nobody expect such tactics and builds)
with ELO coming ...have fun NOW!!!!
cheers from the froggies...

#15 Twisted Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

When private drops are implemented and we can take ECM out of the game by choice it will get a ton (well 1.5 tons :-P) more fun. We already have quite a few clans and merc units on NGNG who have agreed to have private matches. Just going to have to wate for it.

#16 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I somewhat don't understand.

In most rts's you get people that rush, and people that turtle.
Some are good short game, some are good long game, some are good at both.

Many of my opponents choose to use a certain strategy almost every game, which I know and counter every time, yet they do the same thing over and over.......

Sometimes I counter by doing exactly what they are doing, but just much faster and better.

Other times I will try something different and maybe force a long game on them etc etc....

Either way it really makes no difference to my game. I generally win, and have fun doing it. I also sometimes laugh at how silly some of those people must think I am.

I guess what I am trying to say is, why does it matter that they only take these certain mechs or use only these types of strats if you are not forced to do the same.........(which you aren't btw which means you can change it up anytime to avoid staleness from your side.....not your enemys..... even tho I agree ECM spam is a little overboard)

??

Edited by Fooooo, 12 February 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#17 UberPotato

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

The only issue I have with 8 man drops is the balancing. We have a team put together with a balanced build(say, 2 lights, 2 meds, 2 heavies, 2 assaults), and we get stuck facing a cheese build team with full ECM on every mech. We just need a tonnage limit, or the balancer used with pug drops. So if a team wants to use 4 ravens and 4 DDCs(4 lights/4 assaults), they will only face other teams with the same build. And if there is no other team using that setup, they will have to change up their lance, or keep searching.

I'm pretty sure when private drops come into play, not many people will bother with regular 8 mans. To those of you that drop 8 mans and use balanced builds, I salute you. But you cheese build guys that act like you are the best players out there, when balancing comes into effect and your tactics have to change...I simply wish you luck.

Edited by UbersAlterEgo, 12 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#18 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,743 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Any major issues, other than cheesy stuff, is there is no real purpose to be dropping against another random 8-team.

If you are not able nor willing to organize set drops based on whatever is decided, then the next best thing would be to drop with specific criteria/goals each drop. It can range anywhere from legging and/or strip major weapon your opponents and fading back behind cover, pulling the enemy forward.

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

If you are fall in the above, you really do need to take a different look at things. Particularly if you take into consideration the CW aspect of how mercs will fight specific battles and you are planning on running as mercenaries. For the House units, this time can be best utilized for training and sharpening your pilots' skills.

Another approach would be to divide the drops into actual lance on lance work, and even provide feedback on those encounters. How much more difficult/easy/slower things went.

Think outside the box without the straitjacket... :P

#19 Boitameuh

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostQuardak, on 12 February 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

THAT is FUN!

We are definitively planning to try that, since less than 1 out of 10 matches is actually fun to play atm. The best game we had was against a team of crazy brawlers using ballistic CTFs and full-SRM jumping CATs. Sadly I forgot their name but in the end it was all "nice fights" and "great game" in the chatbox. Charming guys.

We also plan to play against a friendly 8 man team using only trial or stock mechs. Then only skill will speak on the battlefield (and maybe absurd strategies too...)

Edited by Boitameuh, 12 February 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#20 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

ECM ruined MWO.

Save your "herp derp pro ECM, you just suck, adapt herp derp" comments.

It is not just 8v8 that is boring...the whole game had degenerated into "no skill required".

Rarely do I see any Commando's other than the 2D and the same goes for Spiders, Ravens and Cicadas or Atli. If those mechs are NOT the ECM variant, its usually a trial version...or someone with the guts to drive something other than the ECM version.

Sad....pathetic really.

High hopes for the next update this month, but I'm not sure it is going to make much difference regarding ECM.

Like many others, I too hope for servers that can be set to NO ECM or Streaks.

Streaks could work in this game, but they need to be fixed...the lock-on-shooting-while-not-even-facing-the-target ******** needs to go and AMS needs to engage all missiles.

Until then, MWO has gone stale for my friends and I....frustrations aside.

Kinda like some of the women I've met in my life, very beautiful, lots of potential, doesn't listen and eventually, boring.

View PostBoitameuh, on 12 February 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

...using only trial or stock mechs. Then only skill will speak on the battlefield (and maybe absurd strategies too...)

Indeed! Canon only servers would be very interesting and challenging.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users