Can We Buy Mechs Without Equipment

9 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

It takes like 5 hours to earn 3ml bc and that is how much i waste buying equiped assault mechs

Why force us to pay for slow engines and weapons that we may not want to use . To be honest premade builds are trash and nobody wants to use them!

Where is the option to buy naked mechs!

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't see this ever happening, mainly because as a F2P game it wants you to take some amount of time to get things for free lest everyone decide buying things isn't worth it since everything comes so quickly.

But also because in-universe this is just how mechs would be sold or provided, you just can't give someone a mass of armor with no engine or weapons much as you can't really buy a car without a seat, steering wheel, and an engine (except at scrap yards but that doesn't count)

#3 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

While I agree, having the option to just purchase a bare bones mech is ideal, I doubt it'll happen because the current method raises the bar to entry, thus requiring more grind to achieve your goals. More grind means a higher chance you'll just purchase some MC to spend, thus supporting the game.

#4 Matroid

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I would like a bare-bone chassis with just standard armor for a low price. then you can
add any engine and weapons... and make yourself a mech!</p>

The problem is it would take a while to program such a feature, and there probably isn't any
benefit to PGI.... so i doubt they will spend a programmer's time to implement it. similar to what focsuspark said

Hadros

Edited by Hadros, 12 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#5 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I like the idea of 'mechs coming equipped but agree that stock models kinda suck.

But rather than dropping the concept of stock models, I'd rather see they made them useful.

#6 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostStringburka, on 12 February 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I like the idea of 'mechs coming equipped but agree that stock models kinda suck.

But rather than dropping the concept of stock models, I'd rather see they made them useful.

Again, I don't think that's the point. If the stock models were really good, then why grind more to improve them?

Not saying I agree, just trying to explain.

#7 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

"Why force us to pay for slow engines and weapons that we may not want to use . To be honest premade builds are trash and nobody wants to use them!"

why?... shut up thats why!
i have been wanting this too :(

Edited by buttmonkey, 12 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#8 Ipecac

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

They've already stated in the Q and A posts that this is not going to happen. Sorry I don't have the link, but it was a flat "no."

#9 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 12 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Again, I don't think that's the point. If the stock models were really good, then why grind more to improve them?

More to "change" them than improve them, mostly. Or rather, improve them is fine but they should be useful and effective out of the box.

For example, if a raven 3L out of the box had a 280 XL engine, an SRM-6 with a ton of ammo, a TAG, ECM and two medium lasers and the rest into heat sinks, that'd be a playable raven. You could later swap up the engine for a 295, or swap the SRM-6 for 2 SSRM, or maybe the TAG for a MedLas - but you wouldn't be in the situation where the raven right out of the box was more or less useless and got it's *** handed to it. Changes would be more to 1. improve it ever so slightly (XL280 to XL295) or change it's playing style (SRM-6 to 2SSRM) more than to make it have basic functionality.

Or, they could have other ways to improve the usefulness of the stock models than changing the loadouts, like this suggestion.

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

As I posted in the other thread about this -

When is the last time you went to a car dealership and purchased a vehicle frame?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users