F2P Players Need A Way To Acquire 'mech Bays Without Buying Mc.

425 replies to this topic

#241 Seiga

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 15 February 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

You have it totally wrong, most of us are complaining because $7 here in MWO gets you spots to put content in, while $5 in LoL, or $5 in TF2 give you actual content (actually $5 in TF2 gives you lots of permanent bonuses if you spent for the first time in the game)

I feel like a broken record for saying this over and over, but this is the point that everyone who says "stop being a cheapskate and cough up" is missing.

Edited by Seiga, 15 February 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#242 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 15 February 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

300,000 GXP per mechbay.

There you go! (300 MC will look incredible next to that.)

and this kind of thinking will always make me prefer no new mechwarrior game over a f2p mechwarrior game done wrong

#243 Warskull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

Think of it this way, the 4 mech bays are a demo. A really good demo, that doesn't lie to you, and lets you play the game for a good month or two before deciding to shell out money. You can choose how much you are willing to risk on the game. Think you will only play a little bit more? Buy 4 mech bays for $7 (~1.75 each.) Think you are going to be around for a while longer, drop $15 to get 10 mech bays ($1.50 each.) Know you are in it for the long haul, drop $30 for 21 mech bays at $1.42 each (or get yourself a cheap color and 20 bays.)

The mech bays are reasonably priced and you should drop money on them if you enjoy the game. It tells PGI you like reasonably priced things and helps fund the game you enjoy. F2P isn't about giving you something for free. A properly done F2P game is about making a good game and showing it off to as many people as possible. You then ask for the fee later, because you are confident that after trying the game they will stick around. I have seen some people complain about payment options, and PGI should absolutely make it as easy to pay for as many people as possible. That is a no brainer.

The only thing I would personally change, is to add a care package that a player gets the first time they buy MC. Upon buying any amount of MC (for the first time only) they get a 1-2 mech slots, a color or two, a voucher for 1 free pattern, a few days of premium time, maybe even a free supporters mech (think founders mech with a smaller C-bill bonus.) It seems like a lot but it gives people that extra push to give you money for the first time and gives them a sample platter of things to spend it on.

#244 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 15 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

and this kind of thinking will always make me prefer no new mechwarrior game over a f2p mechwarrior game done wrong

First. I was sarcastic- second, do you know how the whole "F2P" system works?

Free to play for everyone.. some things must be bought in order to keep the servers up. This isn't being financed pro bono by a trillionaire..

#245 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostZaptruder, on 14 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

This thread is a sad reflection of the maturity level of this community as a whole. Would rather address a strawman that think about the actual argument.

I came into this thread thinking, man, mechbays are cheap.

But in fact, yes, there is a point to making mechbays available for purchase with cbills, and it doesn't have to be a straight up MC to cbill conversion; it's better that it's not in fact.

More accomodating F2P features means more players (better player retention, more word of mouth), means more time spent on the game, means more money for the developers, means more features for us the paying customers.

It's not that convoluted; but it does require the ability to draw more than a single causal arrow in your mind. You might actually have to comprehend multiple factors influencing an end result.

That's all fine a dandy but servers cost money. More and more players that don't pay a dime does not help them. They have to spend more and more money for bandwidth and servers to support these people. Mech bay costs are reasonable.

#246 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 15 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

what would you prefer, a $10 per month subscription game? a $60 boxed game that has maybe 6 hours of campaign gameplay and a rubbish multiplayer offering?

or around $1 to $1.70 for a mech bay?

#247 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

View PostSeiga, on 14 February 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

I'm a free player who wants to put money into this game, posting because of this post (and one other response a few pages back that I've lost). So far I haven't because the netcode makes gameplay rather unpleasant from where I live, but hopefully that gets fixed soon.

Going back to the "$7 is really cheap, just cough it up argument" - sure, I own a $1000 laptop, but I bought that laptop because it had more value to me than, say, $1000 of alcohol. In League of Legends, $7 will buy me two or maybe even three champions that I can play competitively right off the bat. In MechWarrior Online, I can buy mechbays for $7. In other words, I can either buy content in game A, or I can buy a slot to put my content in game B - which I then have to buy separately.

Which am I going to feel better about, a purchase that I made because I liked playing with that content, or a purchase that I had to make so I could get that content in the first place? Between the carrot and the stick, people tend to take the carrot better, and it's generally a good idea to treat people well when you want to get money out of them.

Your "champions" are free in this game...

#248 Seiga

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 15 February 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

That's all fine a dandy but servers cost money. More and more players that don't pay a dime does not help them. They have to spend more and more money for bandwidth and servers to support these people. Mech bay costs are reasonable.

More and more players that don't pay a dime are still more players that can spread the word ("Hey, I tried out this MechWarrior game last weekend, it was pretty cool, you might like it"), and if you really want to look at it this way, more players for paying customers to shoot.

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 15 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Your "champions" are free in this game...

I honestly hope you aren't talking about trial mechs, because those tend to be patently pathetic and we are both aware of it.

If you're talking about buying mechs with C-bills - yeah, but I can do that in LoL too, with "Influence Points" which are earned by playing the game. And their free champions are actually useful.

Edited by Seiga, 15 February 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#249 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I doubt many have an appreciation for for what a Bladecenter and 14 high perfomance blades actually costs, much less the switches to get it out to the world.

Pay your $10.

Edited by Yokaiko, 15 February 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#250 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 15 February 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

You have it totally wrong, most of us are complaining because $7 here in MWO gets you spots to put content in, while $5 in LoL, or $5 in TF2 give you actual content (actually $5 in TF2 gives you lots of permanent bonuses if you spent for the first time in the game)

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, you have it incorrect. You are purchasing MC. That is not a "spot to put content in". So your statement to that effect is completely and utterly false. The only area where you could say a "spot to put content in" is a mechbay... and for that, you pay approximately $1.75... and the price goes down if you purchase larger MC packages.

The bottom line is that this is a company which has employees and investors... all of whom need to (and expect to) make money. $1.75 for a "spot to put content in" that I can fill with something that costs me nothing out of pocket other than play time (which I enjoy anyway) is pretty darn reasonable to me.

Edited by SI The Joker, 15 February 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#251 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Its coming, and its called archievements.

/thread

#252 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostWarskull, on 15 February 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Think of it this way, the 4 mech bays are a demo.

hmmm, let's see how that holds up to all the F2P games i've played.

TF2: Nope.avi They even let you be able to craft hats!

Blacklight Retribution: oh look a inventory limit of 800 items i'm hardly going to reach that anytime soon

Super Monday Night Combat: A combo of TF2 and LoL! and they're giving just about everyone and their grandmother the Assault for free...

Planetside 2: ehhh... atleast there's no inventory limit

Combat Arms: The only thing i know of is a perm items/guns limit of 75, and really really bad for free players, why did i ever spend $40... oh yeah, my computer was crap back then and that was the only thing i could really "play" without much problems.

Simraceway: this game suffers the same problems as planetside 2, (even more so since trying to race clean gets boring really fast), but atleast $7 there can get you atleast 2-7+ cars

Dungeon Fighter Online: Gold Farmers, that is all.

World of Tanks: probably the only on this list (i would throw combat arms with this) that feels like a "demo" and a really good, but really bad one, i consider this game the Twilight Saga of F2P games

Alliance of Valiant Arms: Again, a good example of F2P done right... kinda... i hate the "repair costs" (which imo repair costs do nothing but be an extreme inconvenience for no damn good reason)

View PostSI The Joker, on 15 February 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, you have it incorrect. You are purchasing MC. That is not a "spot to put content in". So your statement to that effect is completely and utterly false. The only area where you could say a "spot to put content in" is a mechbay... and for that, you pay approximately $1.75... and the price goes down if you purchase larger MC packages.

and what sane person out there would bother to buy anything else than mechbays with the $7 option, my point still stands

Edited by KhanCipher, 15 February 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#253 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

@OP ... you can buy 4 mech bays for 7 dollars. Really? ! This is something to complain about?

its a F2p game. not a charity. you can get a significant amount of play out of this game without spending a dime, there is no reason to do anything different with the cost of mechbays. They are about the only reasonably priced MC purchase you can make!

#254 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostSeiga, on 15 February 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I feel like a broken record for saying this over and over, but this is the point that everyone who says "stop being a cheapskate and cough up" is missing.

We are not missing it we just think you are being a cheapskate! 300MC is nothing compared to 750 MG for Camo!

#255 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostKhanCipher, on 15 February 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

hmmm, let's see how that holds up to all the F2P games i've played.

~lots of unknowns~

A few F2P games that i've seen sell char slots... GW2, SWTOR, Tera, POTBS and WoT. Well, GW2 is not true F2P, its a B2P with a cash shop... which is even worse then F2P, but hey! I'm sure theres more, but only ones I have personally seen.

#256 Seiga

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

We are not missing it we just think you are being a cheapskate! 300MC is nothing compared to 750 MG for Camo!

Painting your mech is entirely optional and gives you no advantage whatsoever.

Having more mechbays does.

#257 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostThontor, on 15 February 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

There are lots more modules coming... And yeah they are expensive; they should be

lol, thinks they should be expensive when the power they give isn't even close to be noticeable. That post itself makes me glad i "didn't make it" into the templars. oh and have fun if PGI decides that modules will effect your mech's combat/battle value (if they ever do use that system)

#258 Seiga

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostThontor, on 15 February 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

Explain to me how having more mech bays gives you an advantage on the battlefield

And don't say its because you need them to unlock mech efficiencies... You could do that if you only have one mech bay.

Explain to me how being able to choose from a wider range of mechs for the upcoming battle isn't an advantage.

And don't say it's because you can only drive one at a time.

For what it's worth, having more mechbays means you need to "dispose" less C-bills. The return on selling a chassis right now is terrible - to the point that you'd only ever sell a Mech if you didn't have a spare slot.

Edited by Seiga, 15 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#259 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

What dont you understand, there will be a way, through achievements.

Why is this thread still going on? Arguing for pages because you don't understand one sentence?

#260 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's free to play not free to do whatever you want...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users