F2P Players Need A Way To Acquire 'mech Bays Without Buying Mc.

425 replies to this topic

#81 KuruptU4Fun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Really makes you crave an ice cold Pepsi..

"Donch'a think?"

Ya mean like this?

Posted Image

Because:

Posted Image

Edited by KuruptU4Fun, 14 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#82 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

56 available mechs

50 non premium (hero)

4 free bays

46 purchase bays to own every mech you can purchase with cbills = 13800 MC

52 if you want hero mechs = 15600 MC

12500 MC = 49.99
6500 MC = 29.99
$79.98 for all mech bays to include room for hero mechs

12500 MC (49.99) + 3000 MC (19.99) = 15500 MC (69.98) and would leave you 1700 MC to play with colors or something if you bought every cbill mech in the game.

It's not a terribly high price considering most games on the market have an asking price of $60 and then the added costs of expansions at $15-$50 after the fact. So compared to BF3, WoW, COD, etc that's a lot less money then you pay otherwise.

#83 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 14 February 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

56 available mechs

50 non premium (hero)

4 free bays

46 purchase bays to own every mech you can purchase with cbills = 13800 MC

52 if you want hero mechs = 15600 MC

12500 MC = 49.99
6500 MC = 29.99
$79.98 for all mech bays to include room for hero mechs

12500 MC (49.99) + 3000 MC (19.99) = 15500 MC (69.98) and would leave you 1700 MC to play with colors or something if you bought every cbill mech in the game.
(not counting hero's, i already own 2 and the only 2 im interested in atm untill we get another good/cool one)

It's not a terribly high price considering most games on the market have an asking price of $60 and then the added costs of expansions at $15-$50 after the fact. So compared to BF3, WoW, COD, etc that's a lot less money then you pay otherwise.

... 60 dollars to own enough mechbays for all mechs in the game atm?
**** i may actualy DO that at some point in time.

So yeah, F2P'ers, if you dish out enough money for a modern game, you can have enough slots to fit all the mechs that are purchasable with C-Bills...

Thanks for the math six.

Edited by Skadi, 14 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#84 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

PGI Needs A Way To Acquire Funds Without Begging.

Seriously? You request to remove a stream of income but have not provided any ideas/suggsetions on replacing it with any other mechanism for the company to make money.

Please be realistic here and work out how a business is supposed to exist if it does not generate income. You will always buy things that you need, not necessarily things that you want.

#85 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostSkadi, on 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

... 60 dollars to own enough mechbays for all mechs in the game atm?
**** i may actualy DO that at some point in time.

So yeah, F2P'ers, if you dish out enough money for a modern game, you can have enough slots to fit all the mechs that are purchasable with C-Bills...

That's assuming you would actually keep every mech in the game. Which is something not a lot of people do. Most just elite out a mech type and sell the unwanted variants

#86 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 14 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

That's assuming you would actually keep every mech in the game. Which is something not a lot of people do. Most just elite out a mech type and sell the unwanted variants

I am keeping mine, the very second I sell ANY MECH I OWN, PGI will announce new "GrandMaster" ranks above Master that take 50. 100, and 250k exp to unlock.

#87 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostKylere, on 14 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I am keeping mine, the very second I sell ANY MECH I OWN, PGI will announce new "GrandMaster" ranks above Master that take 50. 100, and 250k exp to unlock.

Ive yet to buy my 3rd stalker, because im holding out for the chances of a hero stalker.

#88 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostKylere, on 14 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Such is the way of life Grasshopper...

#89 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I suggest you mow some lawns or carry some groceries or hang out at Home Depot.

#90 Skadi

• 4,268 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostZolaz, on 14 February 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

I suggest you mow some lawns or carry some groceries or hang out at Home Depot.

or get a job.

#91 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Gotta agree with the "man up and pony up a couple bucks" crowd on this one. Mow some lawns, get a paper route, get a job, whatever.

#92 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

A game that forces players to create new accounts or backtrack progress is badly designed. There is no getting around that basic fact.

Cheapest MC package is ~$7. You can get 4 bays with this. That's $1.75 per bay. That might not sound bad, but you're paying to buy an empty space to put something. And it's $7 you could spend on something else. A 'Mech, a paintjob, another game (including tons of other F2Ps that don't do this, or indie games or steam sales allowing you to get AAA games for less).

It feels bad to pay for a slot to hold the potential for something else. Mind you, yes, the F2P player can master variants from every chassis in the game by spending time and not paying a dime (that's a good thing), or they can pay some money to skip the c-bill grind (that's a good thing) and cut the xp grind (that's a good thing).

~89% of the chassis in the game (50/56) are available to F2P players (that's a good thing). The 6 that aren't available (~11%) don't prevent them from mastering the other variants of their favorite chassis (that's a good thing). I understand the hero thing. I disagree with it, especially in the case of Flame/Fang having the best Dragon hardpoints, and Ilya having unique advantages over other Cataphracts, but I understand it. That's another topic, and I'm not trying to digress.

What I mean is that PGI has done a lot of good things for the F2P player, uut bays are still MC-only.

There is an immense amount of content here available for free. I'm not denying that. I love that. But hitting a F2P wall is not fun. The fact that you keep experience when selling a chassis is the only thing that makes this even close to tolerable. What happens to people who picked four 'Mechs that are all different, and don't want to sell them? Say they did this, got all the xp required on each one for the 8/8 basic, but now need to get two other variants of the chassis, two variants that they might nto want to play, and then what? They don't have the slots for that. What are their options? Buy MC ($$$) or...Sell one of their current chassis.

So they sell a variant. They'd have to pay for the DHS/Endo/FF upgrades again, only get 50% back when selling the chassis, set them back even more time, and only be able to get to "basic" on that chassis again (this needs to happen three times to get to Elite, at the time of this writing).

Some players don't want to pay for 'mech bays. You know why?

1: They're being "forced" to - they have no other way to acquire the item. That's not satisfying. Making a purchase because someone feels forced to isn't fun. It makes them feel dirty.
2: If they don't buy it, they have to throw away time, c-bills (if any upgrades on the chassis), and progress by selling a 'Mech that they've decked out.
3: It is nothing. It is literally an empty space. Most people don't like paying for an empty space.

There are people who want to monetize the hell out of this game if there was something worth monetizing.

I'm not even going to bring up the "since it's open beta, we need slots to test" and "creating multiple accounts is against the ToS" arguments. F2P players making new accounts to circumvent 'Mech bay limitation just proves that the current implementation is a poor design.

Edited by Volume, 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#93 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostAlois Hammer, on 14 February 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Gotta agree with the "man up and pony up a couple bucks" crowd on this one. Mow some lawns, get a paper route, get a job, whatever.

Exactly like this. they've even made videogames out of them so you can ease the transition:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KuruptU4Fun, 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#94 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

4 mech bays is ridiculous. All players should be able to buy upto 4 additional mech bays with c-bills.

#95 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Ok....look. Mech bays are actually something that increases game play. Colors are not. Colors do not benefit your play at all. You can't even see them outside of your mech bay. When you compare to the $400 it would take you for colors (just colors no patterns) the mech bay wins the cost race. For the price of 1 color in this game you can buy 3 mech bays.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#96 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostVolume, on 14 February 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I understand that PGI needs to make money.

No, you don't.

#97 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostVolume, on 14 February 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I'm not even going to bring up the "since it's open beta, we need slots to test" and "creating multiple accounts is against the ToS" arguments. F2P players making new accounts to circumvent 'Mech bay limitation just proves that the current implementation is a poor design.

I'm going to shorten all that whole post of yours so people don't have to go thru it again.

Go out and buy a car, you're going to see they have "extras" packages like a better radio, TV's, GPS, you know stuff like that. Stuff you want, but don't need. Now go and ask that salesman if you wax all the cars out on the lot for a week can you have that 1 "extra" that you really want. He's going to laugh so hard it's going to get the president's attention.

Edited by KuruptU4Fun, 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#98 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

F2P wall?

Ok, just one question....what is the incentive for this company to make the game for if not to turn some semblance of profit? None. If there is just ONE wall for f2p, purchasable mechbays might be reasonably considered to be it.

If you play and enjoy a game completely for free, then you should do so at some cost of convenience...in this game's case, the limited number of mechbays to deal with stuff. It's not unreasonable. You can literally do everything else without spending a penny and if you're really that intent on spending zero...so you suffer through mechbay management a smidge and do so.

The Devs have zero requirement or obligation to make every single barrier to the game free. You can play. For Free. If you want more flexibility and convenience that's where you set down a few sawbucks and that's where PGI makes some money. It's a business.....not a game developing charity.

#99 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Wtf is going on with all the "gimmi more free stuff" threads. This isn't Europe, you actually have to pay for **** here folks.

#100 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I actually don't agree, and I'm currently progression-locked by the mechbay limit. I mean, mechbays are pretty cheap, compared to many other things; including things that aren't the horrendously overpriced paints in MWO.

However, I'm holding off on buying mechbays until I see some real progress made on the ECM/Missile front, and maybe some other signs that show that they are at least as aware of issues with their own game as fans are.

When I see some real progress being made, I'll be more than happy to buy a few mech bays.

What I would like to see though, is the ability to unlock the Elite tier of mech upgrades with only two mechs through Basic; this way, it's much less of a hassle/cbill-sink to get a mech up to snuff, because let's face it; elite tier are not insignificant upgrades. Almost necessary to be competitive. Master tier is more for bragging rights than anything right now.

That, and a reduction in the absurd paint costs. I may actually buy some patterns if I'm not being gouged over them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users