Too Many Maybes

34 replies to this topic

#1 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

reading the "ask the dev" section and i found myself reading many answers as maybe, possibly, no promisses etc..
is it not a complete waste of time answering questions in this manner?
cant the devs just give answers to questions that they know the answer to? is this making any sense to anyone ? :)

Edited by buttmonkey, 16 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

How politic of them.....

#3 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

well i apreciate they take the time to answer questions and all that, but thousands of people take the time to write good valid questions only to be swept aside with maybes

#4 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postbuttmonkey, on 16 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

reading the "ask the dev" section and i found myself reading many answers as maybe, possibly, no promisses etc..
cant the devs just give answers to questions that they know the answer to? is this making any sense to anyone ? :)

... Maybe...

#5 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostCoralld, on 16 February 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

... Maybe...

i see what you did there :)

#6 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

it's because you obviously went looking for something negative. if you read everyone of the 31 ask-the-devs, every single feature they have said they are working on has happend, they have not made a single claim that had become vaporware. so why don't you calm you're 15years old brain and relax.

also this is BETA, they can have all of those features removed right now and have us testing in jenners if they wanted.

Mods need to just start deleting these negative posts as they happen, they do nothing good for our community

#7 MacKerris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

lol, your just now catching on to this?

#8 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

This is the real world. In the real world, nothing is set in stone. PGI is not about to give you a solid answer on anything unless they are 100% sure that it is ready to drop into the game as is. Acting like children and demanding answers to questions right now will not change anything. Grow up and put yourselves in their shoes. You would do the same thing.

#9 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostPihb, on 16 February 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

This is the real world. In the real world, nothing is set in stone. PGI is not about to give you a solid answer on anything unless they are 100% sure that it is ready to drop into the game as is. Acting like children and demanding answers to questions right now will not change anything. Grow up and put yourselves in their shoes. You would do the same thing.

I believe the man's point is they shouldn't even answer the question if all they're going to say is "maybe". I mean, anything is possible in the future, them saying maybe is just a waste as we already know that it "may be".

#10 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostVulkan, on 16 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I believe the man's point is they shouldn't even answer the question if all they're going to say is "maybe". I mean, anything is possible in the future, them saying maybe is just a waste as we already know that it "may be".

When they say "maybe" they are letting people know they are aware of the issue they just aren't sure how to deal with it. If they did't say anything, people would feel ignored. Maybe is better than nothing at all.

#11 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostGregory Owen, on 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

it's because you obviously went looking for something negative. if you read everyone of the 31 ask-the-devs, every single feature they have said they are working on has happend, they have not made a single claim that had become vaporware. so why don't you calm you're 15years old brain and relax.

also this is BETA, they can have all of those features removed right now and have us testing in jenners if they wanted.

Mods need to just start deleting these negative posts as they happen, they do nothing good for our community

oh so you know what im thinking and what im looking for right? you cant even get my age right when its stated on my forum profile, so im guessing if anyone here is 15, its you.
i go looking in the ask the devs section for answers you douche thats the point in the whole thing, and answering maybe is not an answer.

View PostPihb, on 16 February 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

if i were in their shoes i would answer honestly, not just give lazy, copy and paste "maybe" answers to anything im not sure about. if their not going to give answers to things they are not sure on then why address the question at all.

View PostPihb, on 16 February 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

When they say "maybe" they are letting people know they are aware of the issue they just aren't sure how to deal with it. If they did't say anything, people would feel ignored. Maybe is better than nothing at all.

its not better than nothing period. thousands of people give a lot of thought to submitting questions but they are ignored for the favored maybe answer, its a waste of time on both sides

Edited by buttmonkey, 16 February 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#12 The Trice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

No they cant remove game and place us all in jenners simply because in open beta they declared that game is playable and thats why no more resets for mc or cbills , that was only valid in closed Beta where they tested whatever they wanted , but know they can only test things that will be implemented in the planned game.

#13 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostPihb, on 16 February 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

I would say maybe is akin to nothing at all. They could easily speculate on how they MIGHT implement a feature, they could tell us how much thought they've given it, how they think it might or might not work. Maybe doesn't tell us anything we don't already know.

I think, at least, that the paying customers of MWO deserve more than a one word answer to important questions. It is alright to speculate as long as it's clarified that it's nothing more than speculation, so they don't lead people on or anything.

#14 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

People would get mad if they didn't answer.

People would get mad if they said "yes" and it didn't happen.

People would get mad if they said "no" and it did happen.

So they say "maybe" and apparently one guy still gets mad. Proof you can't please everyone I suppose.

#15 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostVulkan, on 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I would say maybe is akin to nothing at all. They could easily speculate on how they MIGHT implement a feature, they could tell us how much thought they've given it, how they think it might or might not work. Maybe doesn't tell us anything we don't already know.

I think, at least, that the paying customers of MWO deserve more than a one word answer to important questions. It is alright to speculate as long as it's clarified that it's nothing more than speculation, so they don't lead people on or anything.

You would be surprised what a little bit of patience will get you.

#16 qlz19

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts
  • Locationnot sure, I am still trying to find myself

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

if they answer alot of questions with a "maybe" then it seems like they are doing alot
when in reality they are only answering a few questions at a time

#17 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostVulkan, on 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

this is what i mean, giving a personall opinion on the matter is a good idea it at least gives us an idea of what the devs are thinking on the matter.

#18 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

View Postbuttmonkey, on 16 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Is this the first beta you've ever been involved in? Non-committal answers are "developer-community relations 101". Sure it might **** you off, but believe me the entire community of fans looking for damn near well anything to complain about would go into a nuclear rage if a developer ever promised something (or even just PERCEIVED as having promised something by simply answering "Yes we want to put that into the game") and for whatever reason the devs could not deliver on that "promise" later on. In other games I've been apart of, whenever something like that happens then a lot of people on the forums will continuously trot out the links and screen caps of developers stating their "promises" whenever they have to renege on them later on - followed by the community forumites posting short novels on why the developers are the most evil people on the face of the Earth for not being able to keep a "promise". Yes, I know it's frustrating to hardly ever be able to get anything solid out of a developer when things are still in development, but you really ought to understand where they are coming from.

Edited by Signal27, 16 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#19 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostSignal27, on 16 February 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Is this the first beta you've ever been involved in? Non-committal answers are "developer-community relations 101". Sure it might **** you off, but believe me the entire community of fans looking for damn near well anything to complain about would go into a nuclear rage if a developer ever promised something (or even just PERCEIVED as having promised something by simply answering "Yes we want to put that into the game") and for whatever reason could not deliver on that "promise" later on. In other games I've been apart of, whenever something like that happens then a lot of people on the forums will continuously trot out the links and screen caps of developers stating their intentions whenever they have to renege on them somehow - followed by a short novel on why the developers are the most evil people on the face of the Earth for not being able to keep a "promise". Yes, I know it's frustrating to hardly ever be able to get anything solid out of a developer when things are still in development, but you really ought to understand where they are coming from.

i dont want false promises i want some idea of what the devs think of the idea.
they can say for ex "maybe, i personally like this idea because..."
or
"maybe, i personally dont like this idea because..."
not just "maybe".

i think the devs do a good job and i enjoy the game but maybe tells me nothing of what the devs thinks of the question put to them, they may think its great idea but impossible to implement, would still be better than just maybe

#20 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

View Postbuttmonkey, on 16 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

this is what i mean, giving a personall opinion on the matter is a good idea it at least gives us an idea of what the devs are thinking on the matter.

I get what you are saying, but this is what actually happens:

The devs say something like "we would like to do X, but we're not there yet, so we're not really sure" or even just "the thought of X has crossed our minds, but it's not a priority."

Some people hear "X is going to happen." Months go by and X doesn't happen, then they throw a temper tantrum on the forums. The rumor of "X" perpetrates as people speculate and talk about it with others who didn't see the original post, so more and more people view it as a promise.

It's happened on these boards before. The devs Q&A format has been shaped by community response, not out of any desire to keep things from us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users