Water Doesn't Slow Down Mechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 Coole

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Noticed that water doesn't slow down mechs. Don't want to play the "but in real life it does" card, but I'd personally like to see water lower the speed of mechs wading through it. It just makes sense, makes crossing the waters more tactical, and so on. Also, MW3 and MW4 also had it, in case that's compelling enough argument.

For example: I see mechs in the dropship spawn always crossing to the upper city by water, instead of the bridge. If they moved slower, they're more likely to be seen crossing the bridge, and a light might even get a shot or two at the convoy.

[color=#959595]One idea just off the top of my head. Whatever percent your body is submerged, that is the decrease percentage with the limit being a base 80% of you speed. So if you're completely (100%) submerged, you're moving a 20% top speed, which is the full penalty. If you're 50% submerged, you're moving at 60% top speed, which is only half the penalty.[/color]

I know that the game has a lot of problems with physics, so I'm obviously not the kind of player to expect this immediately and throw a fit about it otherwise. Whenever it happens, it happens.

#2 S1lent0ne

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd be cool with that if water had a much larger effect on heat reduction and dissipation.

#3 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Very astute of you to notice that water doesn't slow down mechs. And as well I believe that mechs should be slowed in water as well.

#4 Omar Ravenhurst

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

If I understand what they've said in the past, environment collisions, and I'm assuming that includes water, are due to be introduced as soon as they have a way to know that it's there server side. Things such as trees and water are, from what I've read, client side. If that's true, then they'll have to come up with some way to get that info up to the server without incurring lag

#5 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts
  • LocationStar Kingdom of Manticore

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

they do want to do that sort of thing OPer, but they have said they currently have other things that are priority like finishing the netcode, collisions and client optimization.

#6 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

I forget where I heard it... maybe NGNG or ask the devs, but this is going to happen eventually.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users